Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any one doing MovNat as part of their Paleo Training? page 2

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I love doing MovNat style workouts. Going to a 2 day workshop in November which I'm really looking forward to.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Conway View Post
    I love doing MovNat style workouts. Going to a 2 day workshop in November which I'm really looking forward to.
    Cool, make sure to let us know how it went.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure it's fun and I would even do it of we had classes around here, but is it really that natural? I have never had to do a lot of those movements in my normal life. Normal movements include reaching for stuff on high shelves, walking, walking carrying a load, running, running from bees, riding a bicycle, stooping to clean the floor, pushing a vacuum or broom (and until you've had a hysterectomy you have no idea how much that works your abs), scraping a bow across a fiddle for hours, jumping as high as possible to see if there's anything good in a Dumpster. But not too often have I walked like a monkey on all fours or skittled along on my fingers holding a plank.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm sure it's fun and I would even do it of we had classes around here, but is it really that natural? I have never had to do a lot of those movements in my normal life. Normal movements include reaching for stuff on high shelves, walking, walking carrying a load, running, running from bees, riding a bicycle, stooping to clean the floor, pushing a vacuum or broom (and until you've had a hysterectomy you have no idea how much that works your abs), scraping a bow across a fiddle for hours, jumping as high as possible to see if there's anything good in a Dumpster. But not too often have I walked like a monkey on all fours or skittled along on my fingers holding a plank.
    I think the idea is that it would have been natural to our ancestors to move like this. I heard an interview, and it sounds amazing. Nothing in my area, unfortunately, but I have my feelers out when it gets here.

Like the Paleo diet the idea is to get back in touch with our ancestral genes. These movements are typical of what would have been experienced daily in Paleolithic times. Also its a sense of play that many of us experienced as children.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    None of those activities are actually 'natural.' What you're describing are modern activities that we just happen to be capable of adapting to. The movements in MovNat are based on what we are evolved to be capable of. Our bodies are meant to move much differently than we do nowadays, so returning to our original functions can help to offset the overuse injuries we tend to accumulate because of our modern life/activities.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for this one, haven't laughed this hard in a while!

natural movement, reaching for stuff on high shelves!

you're a comedic genius.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Just signed up for the one day workshop in Minneapolis on Oct 14. Psyched

Based my conversations with others who have done MovNat workshops, the Paleo diet is the accepted way of eating among this group. If you are embracing the Paleo philosophy of reigniting our ancestral genes then it seems like a natural extension to embrace MovNat training.

MovNat®: Explore Your True Nature

cath47 is offline Junior Member
    That looks like a lot of fun! But don't think there will be something in my area soon....... south of France anyone?

Cath

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast