Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Primate's Journey to find his inner Grok page 7

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I posted the following in the nutrition forum but will also post it here just for added coverage...

I'm new to paleotrack.com and wondering if anyone can help me fill out the nutrient information for my Webber Natural Fish Oil Omega 3 Supplements (1000mg) Specifically the tracker site is looking for weight of capsule in grams (my scale reads 0), and nutrient break down in terms of macros, minerals, vitamins, fatty acids, amino acids, and other.

The back of the packaging reads Concentrated Fish oils (mackerel, salmon and herring) 1000mg EPA: 180mg, DPA: 120mg and that is all the information I can find. I'm assuming the EPA is documented under fatty acids 20:5 n-3(EPA) and the DPA is under 22:5 n-3 (DPA) but I'm not sure where to document the 1000mg of fish oils. Anyone else use this supplement or have an understanding of where these numbers go? I would welcome any help.

I take the recommended 3 capsules daily - not sure if this is important to know when filling out the details of the nutrients.

Any advice on how to proceed with listing this "custom food" properly would be great, or if there is a better Omega 3 supplement to take out there that knowledge and the nutrient breakdown for it would also be welcome.

Thanks!

Grok on!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Happy New Year fellow Groks and Grokettes!

2013 - this is the year - the year of many activities in my world - my wedding this summer, honeymoon to follow, hopefully buying our first house and of course dropping the rest of the weight I want/need to get off to make my way back to the "good life!"

New Years resolution this year - simple, make this the best year yet and drop the 129 pounds left so I can look back at the photo I took yesterday and shake my head in amazement. To help with this task my better half has agreed to take on the Primal lifestyle so together we head down this path.

In all seriousness my goals have not changed very much:
    Long term:
    1. Lose the weight 129 lb - not easy but not impossible either
    2. Get off the BP medication - I hate that I have to pump my body full of this crap - there has to be a better way even if my doctor disagrees.
    3. Make at least 10 two hours (or more) hikes with at least three mountain summits in 2013
    4. Do a real pull up/chin up
    Short term:
    1. Stay completely primal (no slip ups) for 21 days - my fiancée and I have agreed to our own 21 day challenge
    2. Drop at least 5 to 7 lbs over the course of the 21 days.

Today is a bit of a busy day - clean up the house, get the meal plans together for the next seven days - easier to do now that all the holiday running around is done! Then its off to do some much needed grocery shopping and getting the house ready for the new bed we bought last week to help make getting adequate rest easier . It gets delivered and set up tomorrow and I can not wait to sleep on that new mattress! In addition we need to do a little exercise today, perhaps a walk up the hill - we have a large park close to our house, its defining feature is a huge hill that measures 3 square miles on the top. It's a wonderful natural area to explore. After supper it's off to the local light show that we have been meaning to go see since before Christmas.

Guess I better get this day started and go make some breakfast!

Cheers & Grok on!
    Last edited by Primal Primate; 01-02-2013 at 08:33 AM.
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

Day 1 - Beginning 21 days of Primal

We managed to get through day one although my better half had to scramble to deal with staying primal at lunch when there was little primal food to be had at her work. Crisis averted and we both enjoyed a day of activity (her at work and me cleaning the house) before enjoying baked cod fillets with roasted broccoli and fresh avocado. I'm still struggling to get enough potassium in my daily meals but I have upped my intake considerably. Unfortunately we did not make it to the lights tonight so we plan to go right after supper tomorrow night. Tonight was filled up with creating meal plans and then going shopping for good foods.

In an attempt to increase my potassium even more I'm going to try fried plantains tomorrow for breakfast with fresh avocado and a little bacon - I know the bacon will increase the sodium intake but I look forward to my bacon in the morning. Lunch will consist of leftovers for my fiancee and I will be enjoying some tuna, cheese and tomatoes. Supper will be Taco Salad with homemade guacamole. We will be using up the store bought salsa we have so it won't be as healthy as the next batch when we make it ourselves.

I'm tuckered and looking forward to climbing into bed for a solid 8 hours of shut eye!

Cheers - Grok on!

Day two of the challenge...

Tried a new breakfast today of Tostones. This was the first time I have made fried plantains and although I cut them a little thick I really enjoyed them. I added some bacon (2 slices) and a fresh avocado with a little hot sauce on it. In all it was a filling and tasty breakfast but a little heavy on the carbs (60g from the Tostones and 14g from the avocado). Lunch today will be a can of tuna with a tbsp of mayo on top of 4 cheese slices and a ripe red tomato cut into slices seasoned with pepper. Supper tonight will be a taco salad with beef, shredded cheese (just a little) olives, 2 cups of spinach, salsa and a tbsp of sour cream. In all my meal plan for the day should keep my carbs below 100g but just barely. Also the potassium/sodium ratio is not where I want it to be but its coming along.

Time for lunch and the off to do some running around before some low intensity cardio.

Cheers!

Day three:

I went out geocaching last night and as such did not get to bed until about 2am. The new bed is amazing and I slept better than I have in a long time although it was a short sleep. Today I did not do much - spent the majority of the day lounging with the cat but after several long treks through the snow along the river valley last night I figure I got a good hour or more of low intensity cardio in and the resting today is not a bad thing. Tonight we are off to zoo lights which will allow us to roam throughout the city zoo looking at Christmas lights and enjoying a warmer evening.

I was shocked today to find out Primal Papa has left the PB way of living to adopt a more CW style diet and lifestyle. According to his last post he found his blood work looking worse after getting onto PB and he was not feeling well after 4 months and did not lose much weight. I sometimes worry that the eating habits of PB are not the best for us - it does fly in the face of CW and I figure CW has to also be routed in some truth - its derived from dietitians and doctors after all. My issue is I can't find anything online that takes a firm stance for or against primal blueprint. At the same time eating more veggies and less processed foods is not that far off of CW so I think there are parts of this lifestyle I am still iffy on. I guess I will see how my next physical goes and go from there.

Breakfast this morning was a two egg burrito with ground beef, homemade paleo guacamole, salsa and cilantro
    Lunch was 2 cups spinach, 1.5 cups of kale (that will take some getting use to), olives, the remaining ground beef, and salsa
    Supper tonight was a homemade greek salad with olives, feta, green pepper, tomatoes, and red onion. With it we enjoyed scallops wrapped in bacon.

I think I am in the carb flu as my energy levels are a little low (but it could be the lack of sleep as well) guess I will see how I am feeling the rest of this week and how much if any weight has been lost on Wednesday (weigh in day)

Cheers!

Day Six:
    This weekend we made it a point to get out and go to the mountains for a day of enjoyment. We knowingly went off the eating plan as our favorite restaurant is in Canmore and we both wanted to go there. Although we ate some bread and potatoes our meals were still mostly primal in nature. After a quick stop at the Paw we made our way into Banff where we spent the afternoon walking through town window shopping and people watching - not usually my thing but I enjoyed it today. I also managed to get a little geocaching in which is always great! Although weigh in day is not until Wednesday I decided to step on the scale this morning and was happy to see my weight dropping.

I'm toying with the idea of starting my own blog - not necessarily about living primal but that would be part of the things I would talk about in it. My biggest concerns are 1. not having anything interesting or relevant to write about from week to week and 2. no one reading it. I may or may not start one yet - guess I'll wait and see.

Cheers!

Day Seven - One week down!

I am feeling really good today - yesterday I felt well enough to get on the bike (sadly it was a stationary bike) and do a quick 30 minutes of cardio. I would have liked to do more but there was no time to do it. I'm hoping to squeeze in another 30 minutes or more today either on a walk or on the bike depending on when I get home from work. My cravings for carbs and sugar have dropped a lot but are still there - strangely my craving to get out and hike and explore seem to be increasing. I picked up a couple books on hiking in K-country and plan to peruse them between now and spring to figure out which trails to add to the list. I'm also hoping to find a copy of Mark's new book - not sure if it is out in Canada yet but a stop at the book store on the way home is in order I think.

Tomorrow is weigh in day and I am confident that I should be seeing some loss in the weight department from last Wednesday. Can't wait...well truth be told yes I can!

Last night we enjoyed some BBQ steak (yes the weather was nice enough to BBQ) with a side of sautéed Kale, Onion and Bacon. It was very tasty especially with a little Garlic Pepper on top.
    This morning we enjoyed some bacon with fried plantains, and tomato.
    Lunch was Greek Salad with homemade greek salad dressing
    Supper is a slow cooker recipe for butternut squash lasagna - it should be good. I can not wait to get home and enjoy it.

Seven days down and I'm not looking back!
    Cheers!

Day Eight: The Dreaded first weigh in day...

I did not want to get out of bed this morning. I just could not get my eyes to stay open. The warmth of my better half next to me was not helping either - nor was our cat who seems to have gone slightly insane (more insane than most cats). I never know what the morning will bring with him - either evil glares and hisses or snuggles and cuddles - today was the latter. After exhausting the number of times I could hit the snooze button on the alarm I struggled out of bed and staggered my way into the bathroom where my nemesis sat waiting for me. Oh how I loathe that damn scale!

In my sleep induced haze I swore I could hear it say "Oh, its you again. Welcome." followed by a maniacally wild laugh. Maybe I did hear the voice - after all our cat has been darting around the house lately staring at corners and bolting for no apparent reason. Either way it was time to find out how much gain - or loss - yeah definitely loss is a better word I had made in the last 8 days. With my mind wandering back to the last weigh in and the horror of looking down and seeing the number had creeped up to an all time high, damn you Christmas dinners and unlimited sweets for I have no self control it would seem, I gingerly stepped onto the scale. I waited a second mentally preparing myself for what was to come. Have you ever noticed that the second it takes you to look down between your toes to see that number is one of the longest seconds there is? "Okay," I said to myself. "just like a band-aid, grab and yank - quick!" I took a deep breath and then... I looked hesitantly, so much for my pep talk from a second before. What I saw made me do a double take! I even got off the scale and reset it, surely it must be wrong! My exclamation of "Holy sh#t!" as I looked down again brought my better half and the cat running. She thought there was something wrong and I'm sure the cat just wanted to be part of the action, or maybe he thought the thing in the corners got me. I'll never know - I don't even pretend to understand our cat!
    10.9 lbs lost in 8 days! For me that is the best weight loss I have had since see-sawing into the world of Primal living last summer, and all the evidence I need to remain primal. My better half was happy for me and took her turn on the scale too. The cat seeing no one was in danger sauntered from the room heading for his food dish but not before he looked into the corner of the hallway and bolted from the unseen thing lurking there - judging from his height and speed off the mark it almost got him this time!

My numbers:
    SW 309.7 lb
    CW 298.8 lb
    Loss to date: 10.9 lb
    8 days into our own personal 21 day challenge.

On a different note - I ordered Mark's new book for my Kobo last night - started reading it right away and could not put it down. Another book full of great insights and useful information.
    Grok on!

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on the 10+ lb loss! Great start!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Way to go, great loss
    Good luck with your journey

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast