Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Primate's Journey to find his inner Grok page 5

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Just a quick check in from the hunt...
    First day of the hunt done. Sadly no meat to show for it but tomorrow is another day. Here is hoping that the day will lead to at least one animal down. Grok needs meat! Felt so good to spend the day out in the wilderness tracking and moving. Can't wait for tomorrow! Grok On!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Good luck with your hunt! Will you make sausage from your kill, or do you put by roasts, and steaks etc?

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Good luck with your hunt! Will you make sausage from your kill, or do you put by roasts, and steaks etc?
    All of the above. I take great comfort in knowing everything that happens to the animal after I kill it. From gutting to butchering to making sausage I do it all.

Just got the first deer of the season! Great workout hauling it back to the truck! Couldn't help but feel a little like Grok as I made my way out of the bush with it.
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Congrats on the successful hunt! Good eating!

Thanks ssn679doc! Now if I can just fill a few more tags I should have more than enough meat for the year! Anyone out there have any good recipes for heart?

Return of the Grok!

Today marks the first fully primal day in a while! Man I was feeling it too - craving sugar and carbs, bit of a head ache and all the rest but I pushed through - ignored the damn Halloween candy at work, got up early and made coffee rather than stop at the local Timmies where the carb dense bagels and muffins call out their siren song. Not for me! Not today!

Today I enjoyed a banana, and coffee with cream for breakfast, a handful of almonds spread throughout the morning to fend off the cravings, lunch consisted of a large salad with chicken, bacon and a small amount of cheese all topped with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Supper consisted of salad, asparagus and Snapper en papillote (2 fillets). I am feeling satiated not over stuffed and it feels fantastic! Now off to bed to get a full 8 hours and then up to face a new day tomorrow.

Every time I stray from this lifestyle I feel like crap, yet it still happens...WTF?!?! Every time I get back on track I feel amazing again. I must be a glutton for punishment!

Now to get the fitness on track - next posting I hope to have a "healthy bucket list" to post and some re-evaluated new short term goals. My long term goals have not changed and will not until they are met.

Time for this primate to hit the sack! Grok on!

Gearing up for another weekend of hunting! Hopefully there will be more meat hanging come Monday.

With all the snow coming down right now the best workout seems to be shoveling the sidewalk over and over and over! I actually don't mind and might just do the neighbors' walk as well. Stood on the scale this morning for the first time in a while and the weight is again starting to drop - after almost a month of struggling to stay the course and failing miserably for much of it I was starting to get very disheartened with myself, especially when I started putting weight back on rapidly! So even though I am sure the 2 pounds I dropped is just water weight I will celebrate it - I will celebrate the heck out of it and hopefully I'll be dropping weight at a fast rate again soon.

Short term goal - break the 270lbs barrier before Jan. 1, 2013. If I can do it, it will be the first time in over 10 years I have been that small. That thought brings a smile to my face.
    Grok on everyone!

Mmmmm Meat!
    Just a quick check in today. I can say that I met my goals this weekend and then some - goal one get some much needed low intensity cardio in, check. Saturday I walked over 6 km in knee to thigh deep snow through pasture land and bush. Sunday added another 4km walking plus dragging heavy weights through said snow. Goal two - fill my tags and get some wild game to last till next hunting season, check. Sunday I filled my mule deer tag and my moose tag - there will be meat. I could not help but feel a little like Grok as I worked with my dad to pull that moose out of the bush. The two deer we added to the mix were much easier to move but still got the heart rate up and the sweat pouring. Elk season starts soon and hopefully I can add an elk into the mix. I do enjoy my wild meat and fish - soooo much better than farmed beef in my opinion. I'm still looking for some tasty heart recipes so if anyone out there has any I'd welcome them.
    Grok on!

It has been a while since I checked in. Life has been pretty busy and although I am getting lots of sleep I'm very tired at the end of each day. Over the last weekend we butchered the deer and moose we shot so far this year. 87 steaks, 4 roasts and about 150 pounds of trim for our sausages later I am one happy primal guy. Tonight we are enjoying steaks (deer) with wild caught bay scallops wrapped in bacon, and zucchini fried in garlic and butter on the side. I am looking forward to it - first deer steak of this season and I can not wait! Also looking forward to this weekend and a get away with my better half - we are heading out to the mountains and I think the getaway will do wonders for the stress levels caused by work recently.
    Elk season starts soon and I am hoping to add more meat to the freezer once that starts up.
    Grok on!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Needing the support now more than ever...

I've been floundering for a while now - I started strong and managed to drop 40lbs in a little over 2 months. I was having no problem doing "the primal thing" 100% of the time. Then came the day I slipped - nothing major just a fresh hot piece of cheese bread. I figured no problem 80/20 right?!? I got back on track weight loss continued, blood pressure seemed to be going well and the levels of energy were amazing. Second slip - nothing primal to eat for breakfast - no problem I'll skip breakfast - which lead to a large double double (2 cream, 2 sugar) coffee and a bagel breakfast sandwich. Several days later I'm back at my old ways. Another couple weeks go by - I feel like crap, energy levels low again. Refocus, get back on track but now 5 pounds heavier. Weight loss stalled, and cravings stupid strong - worse than the first time around. Another slip and I'm off the rails completely now. I've put 20 lbs back on, I'm eating total crap cause its the quick and easy route and my exercise has dropped off, energy levels have plummeted and I'm not getting the sleep I should. As work gets busier I seem to have less time to devote to this lifestyle and although I have read how other people seem to fit it all in, 8 hours of sleep, working out, preparing food and having time for family and friends and work I can't seem to make it all fit in a 24 hour day.

Help! How do I get back on track - each time it seems to be harder and harder to get back on track. I find as the days get busier and busier the tendency for me to slip up becomes greater and greater. Anyone have any tips for how they fit it all in?

Today I am attempting to stay primal with all my meals and also to make time to do my fitness test so I can plan a more efficient workout routine to maximize my time.

Breakfast today was:2 glasses of 1% milk, 4 egg omelet with 2 cups spinach and feta cheese crumbled on it. Half an avocado and 3 strips of bacon.
    Midmorning Snack: Glass of water and 1 banana
    Lunch: (planned): Shrimp (approx. 200g) cooked in butter and garlic, served with 2.5 cups of roasted broccoli with olive oil drizzled on it and salt and pepper to taste. Large glass of water to drink.
    Supper (planned): Spaghetti Squash with homemade sauce and ground beef meat balls. Water to drink.
    Snacks: (if needed) tea, almonds, bananas and cucumbers

I will update once I complete the fitness test today.

By the numbers:
    Current Weight: 294.4lbs Body Fat %: 37% Current Blood Pressure (with meds): 122/76

Current Short-term Goals:
    1. Get in some form of physical activity each day for the next 7 days.
    2. Complete the fitness test and hammer out a workout routine by the end of today.
    3. Eat "clean" (Primal) for the next 7 days without any slip ups.

Current Long-term Goals:
    1. Get down to 200 lbs by Aug. 10, 2013
    2. Get down to 265 lbs by March 11. 2013
    3. Summit 3 mountains this summer. Prairie Mountain, Ha Ling Peak, Mount Yamnuska
    4. Add 2 new belt holes by Jan. 25, 2013
    5. Get off the blood pressure medication and receive a "clean bill of health"
    6. Be able to take my shirt off at the beach and be comfortable in my own skin.
    7. Be healthy and fit for a change.
    Last edited by Primal Primate; 11-29-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast