Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Primate's Journey to find his inner Grok page 4

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Working back into the Primal way of life...

Got to bed last night pretty early and was able to get 7 hours of sleep. I woke feeling rested. I would prefer to get at least 8 hours but I'll take the 7.

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with lox, red onion, capers and vine ripe tomato. Water to drink. 1 extra large coffee with cream and a little sugar. <-- Slowly cutting the sugar out again.
    Lunch: Chicken Chili and half a sliced cucumber. Water to drink.
    Supper: (Planned) Garlic Shrimp, Homemade Greek Salad. Water to drink.

I'm hoping to get 30 - 45 minutes in on the bike today but it will depend on how I am feeling at the end of the day.

I will update this as the day goes on.
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

End of the work day:

Well I have made it this far without giving in to the cravings that seem to be much stronger this time around than the last time. Already I am feeling better however and it makes me wonder if it is really the diet that is making me feel good or if it is a placebo effect - after all they say the mind is a powerful thing. Either way I feel better today than yesterday albeit also a lot hungrier than yesterday too.

I am looking forward to supper tonight (especially the shrimp) and I am about to enjoy a banana as my afternoon snack.

Now to get some running around done, and sneak a workout in to get back on track...
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

It would seem I am back on the primal track. After a weekend away and managing to stay away from carb laden meals I am feeling very energetic and back to my old self. I managed to get my parents to allow me to cook for them for a change and as such they too had a primal meal last night. I cooked up chicken breast with butter and spices in the oven and then made a huge greek salad. This morning my fiancee and I enjoyed bacon, fried eggs (fried in the bacon grease) fresh fruit, lettuce and some cheese along with coffee (with cream). We made it back home from my parents to find the weather here amazing but because my better half is under the weather we could not take full advantage of the warm weather. I however did take the opportunity to get some things done around our house like putting up the storm windows (yep we live in an old,old house) and cleaning out the shed. After spending about an hour out in the sun it is now time to get a little bit of a low intensity work out in - first true workout in a long time. After I plan to sit down and finally make out that fitness schedule (I know I've been saying that for a week now!) and then make some supper - taco salad without the taco.
    It sure is nice to be back!

Taco salad Primal Primate style

We just finished our Taco Salad minus the taco and it was fantastic! I am not sure why I have not done this meal before. I cooked some ground turkey and seasoned it with epicure taco spice (all organic no preservatives or chemicals), put the turkey on a bed of spinach and shredded lettuce then added a little cheese, lots of olives (I like olives), some organic salsa and a little sour cream. Mmmmm so good! I can not wait to enjoy it again for lunch tomorrow.

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    I love primal tacos.... minus the olives. I think that olives might be my most hated food. But the rest of that rocks. In fact, it was my plan for dinner last night, but I didn't have salsa or the veggies to make salsa so.... so I made taco seasoned ground beef and pit some cheese on it.... and ate it just like that. I would have had lettuce, but my kids ate cheeseburgers and used all the lettuce.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    I love primal tacos.... minus the olives. I think that olives might be my most hated food. But the rest of that rocks.
    I find that the longer I stay (or keep coming back to primal) the more my taste in food changes. When I first started this journey I liked sweet and salty things, I hated tomatoes, olives, and beets. Now I find I love olives and beets (pickled) and tomatoes - if they are garden fresh or farm fresh not the store bought ones, they don't seem to taste like anything. I also find foods like pizza and fast food burgers just don't taste right any more and more often than not leave me feeling like I will be running for the washroom. I never thought I would say it but I crave salads now instead of junk food and give me a big ol' medium rare steak any day of the week over those damn processed chemical burgers!

I have found a joy like none other in cooking primal - from going to the farmers market to making the meal to sitting down enjoying the food after - its all prime time. I find the stress of running to the grocery store is not there at the market - even though the place is jam packed full of people.

Monday + Dentist Office + Full Day of work = Swift kick to the you know what!

I could not get to sleep last night - not sure why but I tossed and turned until about midnight before getting up and jumping on line and doing various other things. Eventually made my way back to bed and slept but got up this morning feeling very tired. Skipped breakfast as I had to be at the dentist for 7am to have the real crown put on my tooth. Was in an out in less than an hour but found the whole things very painful. As a result of skipping breakfast I was starving by the time I got to lunch.
    Lunch today was left over Primal Taco Salad and water to drink. I didn't bring enough as I am still feeling very hungry. I guess my last slip up put me back into the sugar burning as I am feeling the hunger now. There is lots of food around but it is all processed and high carb crap so I am opting to tough it out and then after work stop on the way home and grab some food for supper and maybe a snack. I should maybe be keeping some almonds around but not sure my tooth could handle that today. As I am feeling a little rough and very tired I am opting to make today a rest day and try to be in bed at a decent hour. Hopefully I will be back to my usual energy level tomorrow.

Last night was a complete write off, by the time I got off work I was so hungry and miserable that I decided to stop and grab some food on the way home. I ended up snacking on a cheese and sausage plate - you know the ones with the pickles in them. I'm sure the processed sausage in those things is not considered Primal but I figure it was still better than a cheeseburger and fries from Wendy's. I learned a valuable lesson from this - make sure I am prepared and also that I have primal foods ready to eat - I find sometimes I am still in the mindset of quick and easy food. This morning I skipped breakfast as I was still not hungry but made sure to pack a suitable lunch. I'm debating what I should have for supper tonight - kind of eyeing up a butternut squash soup recipe I came across on a paleo site the other day but I am also wanting mussels - I've been wanting to try this white wine recipe for a week now and can't seem to find any mussels to enjoy - how can the entire city be out of them?!? Oh well - either way I plan to make one of these recipes tonight.

Hunting season starts today - I can not wait for this weekend to go out and start the season! It will be nice to hopefully have some meat to refill the freezer!

I find I have not had much time to keep on top of my journal or my primal lifestyle - the food is easy enough but with the increased demands of life I find the rest of it - sleep, play and working out get tossed to the side. My attempt at making Primal Butternut Squash Soup was a success, although it took way longer to make than I anticipated! It does taste very good and the recipe made enough that we will be freezing some - otherwise we would be eating it for weeks on end. It will make a nice "freezer meal" on those cold winter days when no one wants to cook. This month marks the beginning of hunting season so my working out will take on a decidedly more Grok-like form (with any luck). I find that right now the demands from work are starting to take their toll - stress levels up and sleeping time has dropped. I know it will pass once report cards go out but the months of November, March and June are a killer sometimes. Well back to the grindstone - just wanted to drop in and write something as I find it is so easy to fall out of routine and that is when I start to stray from the more basic things like the healthy eating and the working out! I think I will make it a point to get on the bike tonight even though I really don't want to.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast