Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Primate's Journey to find his inner Grok page 3

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Primate Log: Day 2 without a Carb incident…

Last night's supper was almost a pitfall. My better half had a craving for hot dogs and I almost gave in. A short trip to the grocery store alleviated the issue for me. She was able to get her soft fresh carb loaded buns and I opted for lettuce to wrap my deer sausage in. I was a little shocked to realize I was really craving the carbs, every bread product we walked past looked so damn good! Although I did eat a little sugar in the ketchup I was more or less able to stay on the path and enjoy the dinner primal style.

So dinner last night: 3 lettuce wrapped homemade deer sausage with white onion, a little cheese, relish, mustard and ketchup and 2 helpings of caesar salad (homemade dressing). Water to drink with it.

Breakfast this morning: 3 egg omelet with spinach, feta cheese and left over white onion from last night. Cooked in 1Tbsp of coconut oil. 3 pieces of bacon, 1 cup licorice tea and a glass of milk.
    Lunch: 1 Garden ripe tomato, five slices of old fort cheddar cheese and 1 can tuna with mayo, onions, garlic pepper and hot sauce. Water to drink.
    Supper: Looks like we are going out for supper after our meeting about the wedding reception. Not sure what I will order yet but it will be Primal!

Jam packed day today which will see a round trip of over 300km to sign the contract for our wedding reception. Hoping to get to the farmers market as well today and I need to book a dentist appointment for a broken tooth. Thankfully it is just a small piece and it is not hurting (knock on wood). Well better get too it! I'll update the journal later tonight. I'm also hoping to fit in a low cardio work out on the bike and do my base line self assessment to see where I start my PBF plan according to Mark's ebook.

Got a short 20 minute ride in today for light cardio - 11.6km
    Last edited by Primal Primate; 10-13-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Updating
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Primal Log Day 3 since the Carb Incident

We made the drive up to Red Deer last night to sign the contract and go over the expectations for our wedding next summer. It feels great to finally have a venue and a date - now things seem to be progressing forward at a very fast speed. Stopped by my parents place after for a quick hello and then it was back in the truck for the 1.5 hour drive home. Along the way we decided to stop for supper. Test number two since the carb meltdown three days ago… We decided to go to Applebees where I was able to order a 9oz steak medium rare with shrimp and parmesan cheese. I substituted the mashed garlic potatoes with a second serving of steamed veggies and had water to drink. I left the meal feeling good. We opted to stop for a coffee on the way home - ordered a large coffee with two cream, no sugar. All seems good, the cravings are still there but not as bad as two days ago.

Today is a rest day in terms of working out but there is still lots to do in terms of house work and running errands before company comes over for supper tonight. Stepped on the scale this morning and was surprised to see the weight down 3lbs already! I know its just water weight but its such a nice feeling to stop seeing the weight creeping up and start seeing it drop again. I'm hoping by the end of the month to have the weight into the 270's for the first time in over 10 years!

Breakfast today: 1 garden ripe tomato, tuna with onion, mayo, hot sauce and fresh ground garlic pepper. 4 slices cheddar. (need to start cutting down on the cheese but I love it!) glass of milk and cup of esspresso with steamed milk to drink.
    Lunch: Might skip today given we are having a big supper. Not sure yet.
    Supper BBQ grass feed organic Bison steak, 3 large bacon wrapped fresh "wild caught" scallops, large caesar salad with homemade dressing. Water and 1 glass wine to drink.

On a side note - read the label on the mayo container today and was dismayed to see it contains, sugar and cornstarch as well as canola oil. If there is anyone out there reading this that can offer a primal substitute for mayo I would really welcome a reply. I don't eat a lot of mayo (tbsp at a time) but I find canned tuna to be too dry without mayo. Any primal mayo recipes or alternatives would be most welcome! Thanks.
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

Jena is offline Senior Member
    There is a mayo recipe on MDA. There are a bunch of different condiment recipes actually. Even the "olive oil" mayo in the store has other non-primal oils in it. I consume so little of it that I don't really worry about it too much though. How exciting about the wedding!! Congrats!
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Update:

Enjoyed a little double smoked sausage as a snack this PM and also came across a Paleo Mayo recipe which I will list here.

Paleo Mayonnaise

1 Large Egg - brought to room temp.
    1.5 tbsp Lemon juice
    0.5 tsp mustard powder
    0.5 cup (125 mL) light olive oil
    0.5 cup (125 mL) avocado oil
    0.25 tsp white pepper (optional)

1. Combine egg, lemon juice, and mustard in food processor and blend until frothy.

2. Using the drip hole in the top of the processor, or pouring teaspoon by teaspoon to start, drizzle the oil in drop by drop. Do not rush this process or you will end up with scrambled eggs mixed with oil!

3. Once you have quite a few drops in there, you can pour the oil into the feed tube part of the processor to let that useful drip hole control the rate of flow for you.

4. Refrigerate in a sealed container - it should keep for a week or so.

Not sure how this will go without a drip hole in our food processor but we are going to give it a try and see how it works.

Recipe came from the cook book Paleo Comfort Foods by Julie & Charles Mayfield ISBN #: 978-1-936608-93-5 Page 100.

Diogenes is offline Member
    That mayo sounds tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    That mayo sounds tasty.
    Apparently you can spice the mayo with different peppers - I suspect you could also add cilantro or cilantro and lime and have a nice fresh tasting mayo for lettuce wraps and such.

Supper tonight was amazing - the grass feed no hormone, organic bison steaks and wild scallops were so good. We paired it with a red wine from a small vineyard in BC and the homemade caesar dressing was very tasty. A little bit of sugar in the caesar mix but still so good compared to the store bought stuff!

Sushi rolls with cauliflower instead of rice for lunch tomorrow - can't wait!

Picked up a new cookbook - It is Paleo but still is useful I think.
    Quick question to the forum world:
    What's the deal with alternative flour? Almond, coconut, etc. I see a lot of recipes in Paleo cookbooks that call for these but not a lot of PB recipes with them. Are they good to use, not good, a sometimes and in small amount type of food?
    Thanks to anyone who can shed a bit of light on the answer for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Jena View Post
    There is a mayo recipe on MDA. There are a bunch of different condiment recipes actually. Even the "olive oil" mayo in the store has other non-primal oils in it. I consume so little of it that I don't really worry about it too much though. How exciting about the wedding!! Congrats!
    Thanks for the congrats and the direction on where to find different condiment recipes Jena. I will be sure to check them out.

Primal Primate Log - Day 4 since the CM (Carb Meltdown)
    Up early today and tomorrow - urgh!

I have made an appointment with the dentist to assess my broken tooth for tomorrow. Hopefully it is not a worst case scenario as that could come with a hefty price tag!

Breakfast this morning: 2 hardboiled eggs, 1 garden fresh tomato, 1/4 garden fresh cucumber, 3 pieces of bacon. I glass of milk and a cup of coffee with cream.
    Lunch: 9 pieces of Sushi roles made with cauliflower rice, cucumber, avocado, and canned crab meat. Soya sauce for dipping. Water to drink.
    Supper: Not sure yet as I was expecting to be at the dentist this evening for my tooth. Will whip up something decidedly primal and super tasty!

Workout day! Going to try the self assessment from Mark's e-book and then sit down and figure out a workout routine.

It has been a while since I last checked in and sadly I have been completely off the primal way of life. I went to the dentist during this time and found out my tooth would need to have substantial amounts removed due to hairline cracks and that a crown would need to be placed. I have a temporary crown at the moment and go back on the 29th to have the real crown put in. The last two weeks have really taken it out of me, first the flu that knocked me off my game for about a week and then the tooth and subsequent need to find food that was soft to eat while the tooth and gums healed from the beating they took. I just seemed to lose all steam - my sleeping patterns were disrupted due to the constant ache in my jaw keeping me up at all hours and the drain in energy brought with it an end to my working out and drive to make primal food. In fact I sort of became a couch potato when not at work. Now I have dug myself in pretty deep and need to get back out!

I think that my biggest downfall is the lack of convenience that goes along with this lifestyle. When you get feeling depleted and are in total survival mode opposed to living mode you just can't reach for that all healthy, no grains, organic free range, this that and the other primal thing snack unless you have thought ahead and prepared it before hand. I'm starting to get back to my regular sleep patterns and although the weather is crappy here to say the least (heavy snowfall warnings) I'm getting back out and taking my walks BUT I am really finding it difficult to break away from the grains and empty carbs and back into a proper eating habit again. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you make it through - just sheer determination? Mine seems to be lacking as of late.

I have noticed since I started eating the carbs again I feel like crap, always sluggish and so it seems a bit of a vicious cycle - I have low energy so I just go for the quick and easy and I have low energy because I have started going for the quick and easy. Round and round I seem to go. I am making an effort to get back into the primal eating habit. This morning I enjoyed a fresh free range 3 egg omelet with spinach and feta, along with some bacon. Not sure what I am going to make tonight for supper but I am going to try and make it primal.

Take one day at a time I guess. - This is where the accountability that I spoke of in my first post is needed.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast