Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Primal Primate's Journey to find his inner Grok page 15

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sounds like you're doing awesomely!

Do people comment, or ask questions when you turn down food? I don't know what to say when people ask why I'm not eating something, and I usually end up stammering something and sounding ridiculous.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Your stuffed chicken sounds fantastic. Beats pizza hands-down. You're doing great, PP.

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    Do people comment, or ask questions when you turn down food? I don't know what to say when people ask why I'm not eating something, and I usually end up stammering something and sounding ridiculous.
    Hey Traveller!
    Welcome to my cave and thanks for contributing to the drawing on my wall! As for people asking - yes I get asked all the time. At first I was like you and tried to come up with something on the spot to justify my food choices and it always ended up in strange looks, off handed comments or sermons on fad diets and how people just need to eat a healthy CW diet - usually as the preacher consumed a cookie treat that was only 100 calories and all chemicals. Then I had a bit of a head slapping moment of clarity - I don't need to explain my eating choices and by explain I mean defend or justify (let's face it that is what we do usually) to anyone. So now I handle the situation in different ways.

If I am asked why I eat the way I do by someone who I think is really interested or perhaps looking for a lifestyle change themselves I'll point them in the direction of Mark's PB books and answer any questions they have. I am all for helping those who want to give this a try.

If I think it is someone wanting to expound their BS about my choices and why CW and a SAD diet are better for me my answer is usually - I like this food and I feel good eating it. How's your food treating you? That usually stops them in their track and if they continue then I will usually say something along the lines of thanks for the info I'll take it into consideration - and then I enjoy the rest of my meal. These people are married to what advertising has taught them about food consumption and no amount of explaining or arguing is going to change their mind so why waste the precious time trying?

If I am out at a restaurant or shopping and I want to know what is in the food or what they cook it in I will usually say I'm allergic to wheat or veggie oil other than olive oil or whatever it is that I am curious about being in the food. I figure I'm paying for the food and I want to know what's in it - I have that right. Allergies are huge in the food business so people are pretty quick to seek out the answers they otherwise might not if they think you could have a reaction. Reactions are bad for business.

I think (and perhaps I am wrong) a lot of people living a different lifestyle than CW dictates feel the need to justify what we do and why we do it because it goes against the norm and contradicts a lot of what is taken as expert knowledge by the herd. I don't think we should have to - let your body, how you feel and the changes you are seeing in yourself justify why you do what you do and eat what you eat - anyone really interested will have questions and want answers and you won't feel the need to justify your choices to them. As for the rest, I guess they get to wander the valley of the SAD for a while longer.

Sorry for the very long response but I hope it helps! Stop by again sometime the fire is always burning.

Cheers!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Your stuffed chicken sounds fantastic. Beats pizza hands-down. You're doing great, PP.
    Hey Annieh!
    Welcome back - I saved you a log around the ol' campfire.

The stuffed chicken was an instant hit and I do look forward to having it again. Your butter chicken sounds delicious and I will have to give it a go - minus the 6 legged Chernobyl chicken. Hope your week was a great one!

Cheers!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

TGIF...

Fridays are always a bit of a struggle for me. I am usually a little more tired than any other day of the week but it is a self-induced sleep deprivation so I have no one but myself to blame. I spend the better part of Thursday night's traipsing around the country side with a couple friends looking for hiding containers - this high tech scavenger hunt is my hobby, my obsession - geocaching. Much like living primal when I explain this activity to non-cachers I get strange looks and off handed comments but it really is a great way to sneak a workout in - last night we spent the better part of three hours trekking up and down some of the largest hills in town while on the hunt - according to my GPS we tracked over 5km in that time and worked all kinds of muscles moving through forested areas, climbing trees to retrieve containers, balancing on muddy slopes, lifting rocks and navigating both up and down snow covered, muddy and icy pathways. Many times we will hike 20 or more km to the tops of mountains for one cache - even I sometimes question our sanity when we do this! In my mind the lost sleep (usually a Thursday night will run from 9pm to 2am) is more than made up for in the total overall workout that we get. AND its fun to play in the mud!

Still rocking the lifestyle and loving every minute of it! Bring on the weekend!

Grok on fellow cave dwellers!

Happy Earth Day!

I woke this morning feeling pretty tired but after a weekend of not much sleep that is to be expected. My short term goal for this week is to get the sleep patterns back on track. I find I really do need 8 to 8.5 hours of good deep sleep a night to feel fully functional in the morning. I might also be dragging butt a little today due to the fact that my diet was not as primal as I would have liked this weekend. Our weekend was one of running around doing stuff for the wedding and as a result eating kind of fell to the wayside a little. Friday night was mostly primal - we ate out at a friends place and enjoyed BBQ ribs with salad and roast potatoes. We were not home until just about 1:00am. Up at 5am on Saturday to make the 2 hour drive north to pick up jewelry for the wedding then back an hour to where the wedding is taking place to meet with planners and set up the Tux rentals. Then out to the farm for an oil change and into town to pick up my soon to be mother-in-law, who thankfully I actually like and she likes me. By this point it was 2pm and we were starving! Sadly there was not much in the small town we were in for restaurants and we had to settle for standard small town dinner food. A little greasy and a lot not primal. We made it home for about 9pm exhausted and ready for bed. The alarm went off mighty early Sunday morning and we were up and gone again - this time for a memorial, as they had a large spread - all of it seeming to be carb based or really sweet we had a bit but not much before heading to the farmer's market to pick up fresh veggies and some seafood for tonight. We made it home by the early afternoon and pretty much crashed on the couch for the rest of the day.

This morning we enjoyed Green Monster Smoothes for breakfast. Supper tonight will be our version of surf and turf - Deer steaks medium rare with bacon wrapped wild caught scallops and steamed asparagus. I'm hoping to jump on the bike this evening after work as well but as I am low energy to start the day and I feel like I am coming down with a cold I might just pass on the ride in favor of extra sleep.

In honor of earth day - I'll be spending part of the afternoon cleaning up one of the city parks so I'll get some exercise in any case!

Grok on!

Green Monster Smoothie (for St.Patty’s Day)
    1 cup canned coconut milk
    1 cup spinach leaves, loosely packed and washed
    1 cup kale, stems removed and loosely packed and washed
    1/2 cup fresh pineapple, cubed (or mango)
    1 frozen banana
    1/2 cup ice cubes
    1/2 cup water
    Optional Add Ins:
    1 tablespoon coconut butter or almond butter
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon honey or 1 pitted medjool date
    Instructions:
    Place all ingredients into a blender making sure to place the coconut milk in first. Blend until smooth, taste and add additional goodies in to taste and blend again. Serve and enjoy.
    Makes 1 large smoothie or 2 small smoothies

Morning? Right on, right on, right on, right on!

I woke this morning before the alarm and was ready to go. Although I did not get my full 8 hours I did get much more than the last few nights and that coupled with getting on the bike yesterday seemed to help boost my energy levels. I seem more alert and full of energy to take on the day.

I have been reading Make Shi(f)t Happen over the last few weeks and what Dean Dwyer says seems to make a lot of sense. With Mark's advice shaping how I eat and transform my lifestyle and Dean's advice on how to change my thinking, how I relate to stress and my overall eating habits I seem to be on top of things. I keep thinking "I got this" and that is a a wonderful feeling. I have some work to do still but overall I feel like I am in control and actually steering where this body is going!

To that end I am revamping my workouts to make them more personal and more meaningful to me. In the interchange I plan to keep workout but with the intent to shift from what I am doing now to what I want to be doing sooner than later. The following quote has me thinking a change is in order:

"Every man should be able to save his own life. He should be able to swim far enough, run fast and long enough to save his life in case of emergency and necessity. He also should be able to chin himself a reasonable number of times, as well as to dip a number of times, and he should be able to jump a reasonable height and distance." - Earle E. Liederman, Endurance

Sometimes I wonder how I would make out in a disaster situation - I suspect not that great given I can not run long distances or very fast, I used to be able to swim long lengths and tread water continuously but that was many, many moons ago and I have never been able to pull my own body weight up a rope - hence chin ups have always been a dream and never a reality. I suspect I physically would not be able to get myself and/or others out of a situation. This is the new motivation for my workouts - not to lose weight but to gain strength. I am looking to incorporate 4 key factors into my weekly workouts - strength, speed, flexibility and endurance. My plan is to create a routine that I can do anywhere (little to no equipment needed) and that I can do consistently. My strength, flexibility and speed workouts will need to be no more than 30 minutes in length and my endurance workouts I suspect will have to be longer. I plan to do 1 speed, flexibility and strength workout a week and between 2 and 3 endurance workouts in that time. Everything will be geared towards ensuring that my body is fit enough to survive in extreme situations - not that I ever plan to be in one. As for actually exercises I am still designing that part of the workouts but my deadline to have a working plan is the end of this week - sooner if at all possible as I am starting to research different body weight exercises today.

Supper last night was very delicious (as it always is when it is surf and turf) Breakfast this morning was something new - we scrambled some eggs (2 per bowl) with mushrooms(2 - 3 chopped per bowl) and then put that in a bowl with a bed of raw spinach (about a handful) and avocado cubes (half an avocado per bowl) We topped it with two pieces of bacon and some salt and pepper to taste - it was light and filling. Lunch is left over deer steak with organic herb green salad (balsamic vinegar and olive oil for dressing) and half a cucumber sliced.
    Supper tonight will be pan fried wild caught snapper with salad and for dessert we are going to try something new. We bought a fresh ripe papaya and plan to cut it in half scoop out the seeds and put whipped coconut milk in the hollow - kind of a play on papaya with ice cream. Hopefully it will turn out and become a new favorite in time for summer.

Last edited by Primal Primate; 04-23-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Delicious sounding food, Primal Pete. Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Delicious sounding food, Primal Pete. Again!
    Thanks Annieh! The Papaya with the coconut milk was phenomenal! I don't know why I didn't think of it before - super fast and super good - I'm going to have to do it again. Now to figure out what to do with the rest of the coconut milk I have left. Perhaps a Frosty Pina Colada after work tomorrow from the new paleo recipe books we picked up yesterday.

Grok on!

Woke up on the side of the bed like I won...

Just a few short weeks ago I would have woke up on a Wednesday, tired and grumpy that it was only "hump" day - that point in the week where you stop climbing the hill from Monday morning and right before you coast to the weekend. I know this was in part due to running myself ragged and letting the modern day stress of life get to be too much and partly because I was eating crappy food.

Today is hump day and instead of groaning and dragging ass I am wide awake and screaming bring it on! I feel fantastic! I am more focused and more happy then ever before - the energy levels are back up and all systems are in the green. Breakfast this morning was 2 free range eggs cooked omelet style in a half tablespoon of coconut oil. I used salt and pepper to season and loaded the omelet with 3 pieces of bacon, a little bit of shredded cheddar cheese and a handful of raw spinach. Quick, easy and oh so tasty!

Lunch today is leftovers from supper last night - pan fried wild caught pacific snapper, roasted broccoli and half a cucumber sliced. Not sure what is for supper this evening - my better half has the day off and said she would prepare something.

Working out has been steady and although I am not quite ready to implement the new routine just yet I am feeling good about the whole thing. The gut seems to be getting smaller and my clothes appear to be fitting a little more loosely - I've done away with the obsessive weighting of myself and instead intend to weight myself once a month and use other factors to help gage if I am on track. I plan to use some or all of the follow indicators in varying degrees:

1. Waist size of my pants and/or belt holes.
    2. How my clothes in general fit.
    3. How consistent my work outs are (Am I following my weekly routine)
    4. How I feel in general.
    5. Is my diet 90% primal week in/week out?
    6. Is there any noticeable change in my body (how am I looking in that damn mirror)

I think these are better benchmarks than a scale for my overall health - I firmly believe the weight is not the problem - its a symptom of poor life decisions to this point.

Well time to get this day started - I'm going to give this brutal honesty exercise from Make Shi(f)t Happen a try and see if it helps focus the lifestyle reconstruction I am currently undertaking.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast