Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Primate's Journey to find his inner Grok page 14

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    A harrowing journey through the valley of the SAD today but I made it...so far...

Today was a pretty good day all the way around except the cravings are back this afternoon. It might have been the fact that one of my students enjoyed a birthday today and his parents brought in all sorts of carb and sugar laden goodies for the kids. He of course offered me some as well but I politely declined, or it could be the ongoing saga of stress that seems to have found a happy little home in my corner of the universe and refuses to leave now, but right about now I could really go for some of the old comfort foods. It also does not help that I am hungry (did not pack enough lunch) and still have a while to go before I am home and enjoying dinner. Lesson learned bring snacks even if you think you don't need them - better to have and not need than need and not have! Lunch however was excellent - I do like the taco salad. I managed to sneak a workout in today by joining my class while they did circuits in gym class so I plan to relax until it is time to geocache tonight.
    I am feeling tired but perhaps an afternoon nap will solve that.
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Well look at that!
    I got up this morning put on my pants and I was down a belt hole - got to love that!
    Tired this morning but still feeling pretty good. A little worried about supper tonight as we have been invited out and I am not sure there will be a primal/paleo option - hoping for meat and veggies of some sort in amongst the SAD options but prepared to eat a small amount of non-paleo if it comes to that.
    Grok on!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Primate View Post
    I wanted to lose the fat and keep what muscle I already had.
    I look forward to reading about your lifting adventures at our next campfire chat!

Cheers!
    Well this is my dilemma too. I'm already as strong as I need to be and I can't really afford to lose much more fat (just wait till you can say that, which will be sooner than you know if you keep having to tighten your belt). But my class no longer challenges me the way it did. So, still trying to determine just what my new goals should be.

Hey Annieh!
    Welcome back to the fire - I'll put another log on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Well this is my dilemma too. I'm already as strong as I need to be and I can't really afford to lose much more fat (just wait till you can say that, which will be sooner than you know if you keep having to tighten your belt). But my class no longer challenges me the way it did. So, still trying to determine just what my new goals should be.
    I can't wait to be at the stage where I can't afford to lose more weight - that is such a foreign thought to me at this point. Goals are very important - as I am sure you know. I find that without them I aimlessly move from space to space never really accomplishing anything relevant.

Best of luck on defining those goals! Congrats on all the success you have had thus far!

Just another manic Monday...

Okay not really but that was the last song I heard on the radio before heading to work and it is now stuck in my head! This weekend was a pretty good one despite the large dump of snow we received - I guess no one told Mother Nature it is springtime in the rockies! I was able to put in a good 6 or 7 km of walking before the white stuff really flew but have been indoors since Saturday. Sunday was a very lazy day - we relaxed and spent most of the day catching up on reading and watched a couple movies. I'm awake today but not feeling as rested and active as I should. Planning a workout tonight and also need to make up a meal plan and get groceries for the week - I know I am taking a chance not having this planned but supper tonight is anyone's guess so far...

Grok on fellow cave dwellers!

You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes...

At the end of the day I find myself looking back on my weekend wondering why it went so damn fast! I am feeling good about being back Primal and also that I am starting to see results - the belt hole was small but still it helps remind me that this is how I should be eating and although I have not fully wrapped my mind around this lifestyle - I have to be honest some of it seems pretty counterintuitive to the CW I was brought up with - I am learning to trust how my body feels and the results I see more and the so called experts a little less.

I find I am asking more questions now and when something doesn't make sense I am able to not blindly follow it just because someone said so. I also find I am doing more of the dirty work for myself - wading into the research out there and making my own judgements from the information at hand. I do still worry that this might be flawed that I could be totally crazy and following the wrong path like a lot of people seem to think. I can deny it all I want but in the back of my mind there is still that nagging voice asking "what if on my next physical the blood work will come back and your cholesterol will be high or something will not be right due to eating in a fashion that seems so opposite to what is accepted as healthy?" That voice is there and maybe it will always be there, after all 34 years of CW is a lot of brainwashing to overcome, but I also find I am leaning more to eating veggies and meat - as natural as possible - so the fat I do eat is not as bad as it was before and therefore I have to be in a healthier state than I was.

When I consider how I eat compared to CW it seems to me that my meals and my overall diet is way healthier - I have more or less cut out grains - there are a few occasions when I still eat them but few and far between and usually they lead to bloating and general discomfort. I have cut out about 90% of the processed garbage I once ate and I have upped the level of veggies and protein I eat - how can this be bad?

Most of my meats are lean as I eat and prefer wild game to livestock and would take wild foul and fish over farmed any day of the week. This is the time I usually have my break from primal - this is the point, I think, of no return where I make a stand and truly commit to this lifestyle or I turn my back and go back to CW - which has never ever worked for me in the past. I guess time will tell. I do know however that I have never felt this good and that the weight is coming off again so maybe I should stick with this just a little while longer - like the rest of my life... I'll take the red pill please!

Down the path I go...

Early morning Kitchen Experiment: Skillet Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Spinach Hash... with a modification or two

In a quest to find breakfast foods that do not contain eggs (I want to shake it up a bit and my better half has requested we cut back on the eggs - she is not fully primal yet and still buys into some of the CW rhetoric) I decided to try something new in our kitchen this morning and surprisingly it was pretty damn tasty!

While cruising through blogs yesterday I started to do something that I have never done before - I started to collect recipes. This creation was one of the first I looked at and judging by the pictures on the blog it looked delicious. Still sweet potato, apple, onion, sausage and spinach all mashed together and warmed - do these flavors really mesh or are they like Lyle Lovett and Julia Roberts - just not right for each other?

Surprisingly the meal was fantastic and even better took almost no time to cook! I did make a couple slight modifications to the recipes as it stood but all in all it was very tasty and I look forward to having it again. My two small modifications were to add seasoned ground pork in place of the sausage - As I was shopping at a conventional grocery store there was little chance I would be able to find a commercially produced chicken or pork sausage that did not include some form of wheat as a binding agent and any number of chemicals and preservatives that I can not pronounce. So instead of the sausage I bought 100% ground pork and last night prepped it by seasoning it with Italian spices. The other modification (or maybe it isn't) was using a granny smith apple - as the recipe does not say what apple to specifically use I figured the tartness of the granny smith would pair well with the sweetness from the sweet potato - the favor combo was a perfect knock out.

As my kitchen skills really are like those of a caveman I opted to prep the sweet potato and sweet yellow onion last night. In all the dicing of the sweet potato and onion and the seasoning and mixing of the pork only took about 25 minutes. So this morning I was able to stay on track and make breakfast in less than 20 minutes.

For anyone interested here is the recipe I followed:

Skillet Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Spinach Hash
    2 small to medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (or one large)
    1 apple, peeled cored and diced
    2 tablespoon coconut oil, divided
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
    2 Mild Italian chicken sausages, removed from casing
    2 to 3 large cups of baby spinach
    1/3 cup sweet yellow onion, diced
    salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

In a large nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium-high heat. Once heated, add diced sweet potatoes and apples. Add a pinch or two of sea salt and cinnamon to the pan. Cook sweet potatoes and apples until cooked and softened and slightly brown.

While the sweet potatoes are cooking, heat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium heat. Add to skillet the chicken (or pork) sausage and onion making sure to break the sausage up in small pieces while it cooks.

Once the chicken is no longer pink in color and completely cooked add spinach to the skillet. Don’t worry the spinach will wilt down when cooked. The spinach should wilt down within 1 to 2 minutes.

Once spinach is cooked add the sweet potato apple mixture to pan and stir to combine all.

Serve warm and with a side of choice.

Tasty and filling - that's a good breakfast right there!

Looks like the start of a beautiful day!

Another day in the books!

Another day down and I am feeling pretty good so far. Looking forward to a nice night out with my better half and then some rest and relaxation before the craziness of tomorrow sets in. Why can't all days be like this?

Grok on!

All System in the green - we have blastoff!

Last night I went through and re-read my journal. What I gained from this is that this journey, this reinvention of my habits, lifestyle and eating practices has been filled with roller coaster highs and lows. I have made a lot of mistakes along the way and I have learned a lot about myself and my addiction to food. The high point is easy to see - losing 40lbs and being able to enjoy shopping because some of what is in style actually started to come in my size again and the low point is also easy to see - the last falling off of the wagon where I not only put all the weight back on but also added some extra for good measure. Being the heaviest I have ever been and tipping the scale over the 300lbs point really beat the sh*t out of my esteem. It forced me to realize what I am doing is not working and also that I am no longer a jock or even a weekend athlete. Somewhere between my youth and now I got fat, I'm overweight and until recently was living a very unhealthy lifestyle. This was my motivation to get back on track and continues to be my motivation when I am tired and don't want to workout or prep the proper meals. This morning I had confirmation that getting back on track is working. Although a couple of days ago I had to cinch the belt a little tighter and I noticed more room in the waistline of my pants, today I stepped on the scale just to see where I am at. I wasn't surprised to see the weight was down from my all time high (about 315 lbs) but I was very surprised to see it crack the 300 lbs barrier and put me back on the side I want to be on - the number staring back at me 299.7lbs! Yeah I know ONLY 0.3lbs but I'll take it considering its attached to 15lbs total weight loss since returning to the lifestyle. This is my celebration - and how will I celebrate you ask - will it be with food? Hell no - I'm not sure yet what I will do for a celebration but I do know this - it won't be food related.

Last night marked the return to the Squash courts after a two week hiatus. It felt good to get back on the court but I could not believe how tired the 6 games left my legs! During the fourth game we had a pretty good rally in which I was running all over the court holding my own for about 5 to 8 minutes. Those sprints really worked me and although I am not nearly as fast as I once was it served to show me I can still keep up IF I really push myself. I look forward to a time when that will no longer be an if but instead will be a when!

Perhaps I will treat myself to a new pair of runners for Squash - that seems like both an appropriate and useful celebration for coming back down below the 300lbs mark.

Supper last night was amazing! I cooked stuffed chicken breast with spinach and goat cheese. We had a nice salad with a dijon mustard vinaigrette dressing with it. The meal was full of taste and quick to prepare. I will be enjoying round two of it today for lunch.

Stuffed Chicken with Goat Cheese and Spinach.

Serves 2

2 Chicken breast
    Baby Spinach
    Soft Goat Cheese
    Salt and Pepper
    1 tbsp coconut oil

Pound out the chicken breast until it is about a 1cm thick.
    Season with salt and pepper
    Place spinach and crumbled goat cheese in the center of the chicken beast
    Starting at the narrow end tightly roll the chicken breast with spinach and goat cheese in the center.
    Use one to two toothpicks to hold the chicken together

Preheat oven to 425. In an oven proof skillet heat coconut oil on medium/high heat. When ready place stuffed chicken breast into the skillet to brown the outside of the meat approx. 1 - 2 minutes per side. Once outside is brown place the skillet into the oven and cook for 12 - 15 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink inside. Remove from the oven, remove toothpicks and slice to serve.

It is a fast and easy meal full of taste. Why the hell would anyone want fast junk full of salt and chemicals and grease when you can have fast REAL food like this?

Return to the valley of the SAD

Today at work was a "fun lunch" day. I'm not sure who gets to have the fun in this lunch but I know it is usually not me. These lunches consist of personal pizza's for the kids and of course the leftovers come to the staffroom for the teachers to "enjoy." Today was no different - about part way through the lunch period 8 or 9 personal sized cheese, pepperoni and Hawaiian pizzas showed up for us. Now before going primal (and let's face it when I fell off the wagon) I would have been one of the herd and devoured my fair share of pizza's but not today. I don't know if it was the fact that I was riding the high from losing weight or the fact that the pizza did not smell or look all that attractive to me but I had zero desire to consume it. I instead contented myself to eating my salad and stuffed chicken breast. I ended the day feeling awesome and looking forward to the meatloaf and veggies we will be enjoying for supper tonight. After supper its geocaching so I should be in for a pretty good walk tonight.

The valley of the SAD holds less danger these days - I can overcome!

Grok on!
    Last edited by Primal Primate; 04-18-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast