Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Primate's Journey to find his inner Grok page 13

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Yes... you can put a marinade in the bag and vacuum seal it. It is supposed to help the marinade be "absorbed" in to the meat and make it juicier...
    Thanks for all the info ssn679doc! I will have to try it out and let you know how it turns out!
    Cheers!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Yes, who knew? But it really is transformational. Good luck with your efforts to conquer stress and to change your lifestyle, every little counts and one day you will look back and see how far you've come. Best wishes for your wedding and your future too.
    Hey Annieh,
    Thanks for stopping by my cave and the well wishes for the upcoming nuptials. I just cruised through your first journal and I have to say it is very inspirational - thank you for sharing your journey. The meals you list sound absolutely delicious and I have made note of a few to try out. I have to admit as I look out the window at a bleak cold landscape still covered in snow (this is our Sprinter season (more winter than spring) I am a little jealous of your ability to just head out and pick a lemon or two off the tree! I look forward to reading through your "What Annie Did Next" journal soon!

Cheers!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

Log like Captain Kirk...
    Primal date 09/04/2013
    In an... attempt to keep track of my eating habits... I... will... write down everything... that I consume. That is my inner Kirk coming through. Yeah lame I know, but in all seriousness I will be using the journal to keep track of the food I am eating and how I feel in an attempt to make sure I am eating enough food and enough of the good foods. As always your feedback is both solicited and welcomed. I started this journal looking for support after all.

Breakfast this morning was something new. After looking through several primal and paleo cookbooks and websites when making this week's meal plan I decided to try something new and something without eggs in it - although I love eggs I can not shake the CW feeling that two to three eggs everyday as part of my breakfast is not good for me so I am trying to incorporate other breakfast items. Hence the BLT's I made this morning.

Breakfast BLT - 2 Roman lettuce leaves with avocado spread, half a ripe tomato and three strips of bacon. Avocado spread included half an avocado, juice of one lemon, half tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil, half a tsp of garlic powder and pepper to taste. I topped my BLT's with a couple drops of Frank's Red Hot Lime for flavor and enjoyed a medium sized glass of orange juice with it.
    I was worried this would not be enough for breakfast but so far I am satiated and feeling good.
    Next time I might swap out the garlic powder with real crushed garlic for a more intense taste.

As I write this I am enjoying a to-go mug (2 cups) of coffee with 18% cream (approx. 1/4 cup).

Lunch today is 1 can of tuna seasoned with salt and pepper and approx. 4 cups of Spring Herb Salad Mix (Organic premixed) with 1/4 cup homemade balsamic vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil salad dressing.

Overall I am feeling well rested and energetic. My headache from the previous day is gone and I am in a positive mindset to take on the day.

Last night I had some of the worst cravings yet - I wanted Pizza Hut stuff crust pizza - even though I know when I eat it I feel like complete garbage the next day with severe heartburn and a very irritable stomach! Thankfully I weathered the storm and did not give in. Instead we enjoyed handmade burgers with cheddar cheese and bacon (real) mixed into the ground beef. We ate these without buns and a side of roasted broccoli. Mmmm delicious! The only down side was that the recent snow meant we had to cook them indoors on the cave stove instead of outside on the BBQ were every self respecting cave dweller should cook their meat!

Grok on fellow cave dwellers!

Ye though I walk through the valley of SAD I shall fear no processed foods...

Surprisingly my morning meal kept me feeling satiated right up to lunch. I have been full of energy thus far today and even the kids at school have taken note. Lunch is tasting mighty fine this day - not sure why but it is as if my tastebuds have come alive.
    On my travels through the wilderness today I have dodged many pitfalls - anonymous chocolates in the staffroom - so tempting, somehow made all the sweeter when the giver is unknown, yet so wrong for me! The sugar laden coffee 'treat' from the local super chain - venti sized because let's face it large is never enough, which although I accepted graciously was then dumped without so much as a taste when the giver left my room, and worst of all the french fries bathed in salt brought in by a well meaning staff member for all to share - this is the crap that roams the valley of the SAD - the crap I no longer wish to consume. It was actually pretty easy today to say no to it as I was perfectly content with the meal I ate at breakfast and the one I knew was waiting for me at lunch. Perhaps preparing and planning ahead is really half the battle.

In any case the day thus far is a success and I am feeling great!

Afternoon snack - 2 small cucumbers eaten over a 1 hour period. Started feeling tired around 3pm but still no headaches or ill feelings of any kind.
    Last edited by Primal Primate; 04-09-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Declaring war on resistance...

Yesterday was going great. I had energy, I was feeling awesome and the hunger that I felt in the early afternoon was soon gone with the help of a few cucumbers. Then I got the first of 4 texts from the one person you would think should be supportive - my mother. Our relationship has been rocky for many years and with the coming wedding, well let's just say it is bring the worst out in her. Suddenly with those texts I spiraled the good mood went in the tank, the energy rapidly fled and the desire to fill my face with the most unholy of processed foods took root in my brain. Now normally I would have given in. I would have ordered the large pizza with the intent (or so I would tell myself) that I would only have a couple pieces and have the rest for lunch or supper the next day but when the carnage was done I would of course be staring at an empty pizza box as my stomach flipped and flopped from the sudden onslaught of carbs, grease and crap. Normally that is what would happen...

But not last night. Last night we had chicken breast thawing on the counter and everything we needed to make a nice heathy and quick meal. Last night I told the voice of resistance in my head to shut the hell up. Last night I took a stand. Dinner was not a large pizza! Instead we had roasted chicken breast with zucchini cooked in butter and seasoned with garlic and dill epicure spice. I ate one large breast, and about a medium sized zucchini sliced and cooked in butter. I had water to drink and later in the evening when the cravings started to return I enjoyed a slice of block cheddar cheese, 4 thin slices of ham and 2 lemons. The lemon thing is something I have down since I was a kid - I eat them like most people eat oranges. I went to bed feeling satiated, and strangely enough not stressed despite the garbage my mother is creating in my world.

Woke this morning feeling wonderful - and made a veggie scrabble for breakfast for my fiancee and myself. It included 1/2 a small onion, 1/2 cup of chopped broccoli, and half a green pepper diced. These were all sautéed and then 4 eggs were added. After scrambling the whole thing a handful of cherry tomatoes cut into quarters and a full avocado cut into cubes were added to the mix. I decided to add a little bacon (four strips cut up) because let's face it bacon adds taste to just about anything. It turned out to be nice and filling as well as fresh. I have added a picture of it in the pan - it does not do the meal justice as I took it with the phone.breakfast.jpg
    Lunch today is a medium sized chicken breast - left over from last night's meal and three large handfuls of spring herb mix salad with balsamic vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil homemade dressing. As usual while writing this I am enjoying my standard -daily togo mug (2 cups) of coffee and 18% cream (1/4 cup).

Primate 2.0 - 1 Resistance (that voice in my head that says I can't) - 0 <--- I won this round!!

Last edited by Primal Primate; 04-10-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Just a quick stop and post
    As predicted the morning flew past and hunger was no where to be seen. I am feeling great, lots of energy and the weather is trying to do something - hopefully get nicer out so I can take a nice walk with my better half after work. If not its onto the stationary bike I go.

Thus far no more drama from the mother department but that situation is kind of like an active volcano - its smoke all the time but you never know when the next eruption will come or for how long it will last. Sometimes I think it would be so much easier if we could pick our family members!

Quick stop and post II today - now that is rare!

I had to stop in and drop a post as I spent about 2 hours this afternoon playing capture the flag with the kids. I feel fantastic although my legs are feeling the sprinting and stopping. I have discovered that my cardio while still poor by any means of measure is much better than I thought it would be and I still have energy to burn. The tired feeling that I got yesterday at 3pm did not return today - perhaps because I was running full tilt away from my students with flag in hand! It was great to get out and play. Makes me wonder why we don't do it more often in our 'adult lives.' The weather has taken a turn for the worse and although I would love to still go up the hill for a walk (we have a huge park close to the house) I know my better half will not be as keen in the wind and rain. Perhaps the bike will have to do to burn off the excess energy I seem to have.
    Looks like a good day in the land of the cave dwellers for this primate.
    Taco salad is the planned meal tonight - mmmmm one of my favs.

Grok on!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Primate View Post
    Hey Annieh,
    Thanks for stopping by my cave and the well wishes for the upcoming nuptials. I just cruised through your first journal and I have to say it is very inspirational - thank you for sharing your journey. The meals you list sound absolutely delicious and I have made note of a few to try out. I have to admit as I look out the window at a bleak cold landscape still covered in snow (this is our Sprinter season (more winter than spring) I am a little jealous of your ability to just head out and pick a lemon or two off the tree! I look forward to reading through your "What Annie Did Next" journal soon!

Cheers!
    Hi PP, I'm glad you like my journal, writing it down helps me keep on track and the more I pay attention to what I put in my body the more I notice the connection between what I eat and how I feel. I'm just more in tune with myself somehow and I just love the way this primal food is both delicious and soooooooo good for me.

Your vege scramble looks yummy. I really miss eggs if I don't have them for breakfast. You have some other great combinations going too - sometimes I just run out of ideas.

Bet you'll never guess what I'm getting up to next - lifting heavy!

I just love the way this primal food is both delicious and soooooooo good for me.
    Your vege scramble looks yummy. I really miss eggs if I don't have them for breakfast. You have some other great combinations going too - sometimes I just run out of ideas.
    Hey Annieh!
    I know what you mean about the food. I find that the more I eat primal and/or paleo the more I enjoy it and the worse the SAD diet tastes when I do partake in it. I actually look forward to meals now instead of just eating and over eating them.

Bet you'll never guess what I'm getting up to next - lifting heavy!
    I saw that on your journal! Way to go! In a past attempt to loose the spare tire I hired a trainer and he suggested I get into heavy lifting at the gym I was in. I did it for a while but bulking up was not what I wanted. As I already am built like a brick outhouse - very broad (could be the Fijian in me or the Scottish or the fact that we are all Lumberjacks here in Canada LOL) I wanted to lose the fat and keep what muscle I already had.
    I look forward to reading about your lifting adventures at our next campfire chat!

Cheers!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Broken Windows, Tinkering and Sweating the Small Stuff

I find Dean Dwyer's book to be a very interesting read and I have been trying out a few of his suggestions to help keep me on the primal path. The latest idea I read about is the "Broken Window Theory." In the book Dwyer relates the story that an otherwise law abiding citizen is more likely to throw a rock at a window if the window next to it is broken and has been for some time.

Basically the theory implies that a broken window acts as a stimulus for unlawful behavior because it sends the message that no one cares and that if left the 'crime' in the area will continue to escalate from small issues, vandalism and graffiti to violence and anarchy in the extreme case. He then goes on to apply the theory to changing how one thinks about their body.

His argument is that we should sweat the small stuff and worry more about it than the big things. So for example the big thing (elephant in the room) is my weight. Rather than obsessing over the weight I carry I should scale the concern back to the precursors that lead to the weight issue - emotional eating brought on by stress, poor food choices, repeated lapses in willpower, etc. By fixing these "smaller" issues the weight, which is not an issue but a result of the real issues, will also start to come back into check. It's an interesting idea and one that makes sense to me the more I think about it. Perhaps the reason I have always failed to keep the weight off in the past is because the real issues are all still there and over time with no better course of action I fall back on the comfort foods and binging. Just thought I would share these thoughts...

On to the log...
    Last night I had a surprise of surprises - my better half wanted to go for a walk despite the cool weather and threatening storm clouds so after fixing the truck we headed out the the hill - Nose Hill to be exact. This is an huge natural area inside the city that was once farm land, houses and gravel pits. It has since been reclaimed and now is 1129 hectares of rolling coulees, hills, aspen woodlands and prairie. I have literally spent 9 hours or more a day on many occasions in the past exploring the park and still don't think I have seen it all. Yesterday we decided to take it easy and just see where the paths took us. What resulted was a nice and short 4km walk on paved and dirt (mud ) trails. Our walk took us up the hill, around the top to some great views of the city and the snow capped mountain in the distance and then back to the truck waiting in a very full parking lot. Once home again we made supper - taco salad - one of my favorites!

Our taco salad contained 1.5 lb of lean ground beef with epicure taco seasoning, Romaine Lettuce chopped, sour cream and salsa both store bought as I didn't have time to make homemade salsa, homemade guacamole, two handfuls of kalamata olives and some shredded block cheddar cheese. I enjoyed a nice big glass of water with mine and ate about a quarter of the salad. I may have been toeing the primal line with some of the indigents but I don't think so.

This morning we used some of the left over ground beef in our breakfast burritos - 2 eggs cooked omelet style in coconut oil with left over ground beef, homemade guacamole, salsa and garnished with cilantro. Also a good meal.

Lunch today will be left over taco salad from last night. Still primal, still feeling amazing and the energy I have back is awesome. Tonight should be a good 'workout' - I put it in quotes simply because I view it more as playing but it is Thursday and that means geocaching tonight - lots of walking, usually some climbing and always fun!

Grok on fellow dwellers of the cave!

Oh for anyone interested:

Game Day Guacamole: (serves 2 - 4 depending on how much they like it)

2 avocados - halved and mashed until chunky with a fork
    1 tomato - seeded and diced
    1/2 red - onion diced
    Juice of 1 line
    2 - 3 crushed garlic cloves (less if you don't want a strong garlic kick)
    2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Mix together in a bowl and serve.
    Last edited by Primal Primate; 04-11-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: One of these days I'll edit before I post!

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast