Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Primate's Journey to find his inner Grok page 12

PattiSails is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I think, PP, that you have it right. You can not think of primal as a diet but as a lifestyle. Change can be hard but is always happens. I have been puttering with primal for a couple of months and it is hard. It is easy to fall off the wagon, our society lends itself to making that easy for us. I have found that if I take the time, be it 5 minutes in the morning or a whole afternoon to prepare for a few coming days, it is so much easier to stay primal. I hard boil eggs, I braise (crockpot, pressure cooker, roast in oven) a large roast (pork, beef, turkey), make sure I have a lot of spinach, veggies available. I don't have bread or anything in a box in the house and if I have to stop to grab a bite to eat...I will run in a gas station or convenience store for an apple or banana or a bag of jerky. I can also say with a certainty that there has never been any diet, when I stuck to it for more than a week, that I felt as good as I feel when I eat primally. So I take that as I need to change something, be it a painfully slow process, and work toward the goal of what I need to do to feel good. I can also say that my scale hasn't moved as much as I like...but my whole body configuration has changed...no one believes I have only lost 7 pounds they believe I have lost 20! I haven't even incorporated much fun and exercise into it yet as the weather has sucked.

So, make up your mind as to what makes you feel good. Find 1 step to get you there and take it! Good luck, I will be watching!

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Thanks PattiSails!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Just a quick stop and post:

I decided to buy a food saver this weekend to help keep the meat in our freezer from getting freezer burn. The meal plan for the week is done, grocery list made, lunch for tomorrow put together and after tomorrow morning the new workout plan will be in place... now off to bed to try and get 8 good hours of shut eye before work tomorrow. These are the first steps back down the path of primal for me.
    I'll be keeping it all pretty basic along with the blog - more for me than for you (sorry about that but hopefully it will still be worth reading)
    Grok on!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Primate View Post
    Just a quick stop and post:

I decided to buy a food saver this weekend to help keep the meat in our freezer from getting freezer burn. The meal plan for the week is done, grocery list made, lunch for tomorrow put together and after tomorrow morning the new workout plan will be in place... now off to bed to try and get 8 good hours of shut eye before work tomorrow. These are the first steps back down the path of primal for me.
    I'll be keeping it all pretty basic along with the blog - more for me than for you (sorry about that but hopefully it will still be worth reading)
    Grok on!
    That vacuum sealer works for LOTS of things... I do veggies in it as well. I sealed all of the broccoli and cauliflower from the garden last year, as well as pea pods.
    AND most of those vacuum sealer bags can be boiled.... so you can put butter and seasonings in the bag before you vacuum them and seal them and cook them, open the bag and viola a cooked side dish!

Thanks ssn679doc! I will keep that in mind! I love the food saver - my folks have one and we make use of it after hunting and fishing trips too. I want to research the bags a little more before boiling them - want to make sure nothing harmful could leach out of the plastic into the food. Have you done any marinating of meat before sealing it?

I gave a lot of thought this weekend to the lifestyle changes I want to and need to make and also how I plan to go about these changes. I don't have all the answers and I am sure I will be looking to the rest of the cave dwellers in the forum for support and advice but I think I have made some leaps in the right direction.

My biggest obstacle as far as I can see is stress. I work a stressful job, and I live a modern life, which means I live a stress filled life, made all the more stressful due to the planning of and paying for my upcoming marriage, desire to own a house and all the other money related matters that sit on our daily plates.

This weekend I realized that stress pretty much rules my life and that has to change. I find when I am stressed or when I am board I tend to eat... a lot. With boredom it's a case of snacking constantly, with stress its more a case of emotional eating - binging on crap that is not good for me and then feeling even more like crap afterwards. I know this is no earth shattering realization and if I would have just opened my eyes earlier I could have saved myself a few hundred pounds but better late than never with the realizations I guess. The trick is to break this habit.

I firmly believe it is a habit and if that is the case it can be broken...its just going to take a bit of work. How do I get rid of the urge to bing eat when I am stressed and instead replace it with the desire to work out in any form? This is the question I am currently working to solve. To further complicate it is the fact that I dislike working out immensely! I want the body and the health but I just am not motivated to do the work - why because I find at the end of the day I am exhausted from the stress of teaching. In an attempt to overcome this I am focusing on only doing workouts I enjoy right now - that means some kettle ball and a lot of walking/riding of the bike. I am hoping that by enjoying the physical workouts I do right now I can lay the foundation for real workouts later.

The other skill I need to work on is time management. I need to streamline by life to carve out sometime for me and mine. All to often as a teacher we put ourselves last and I need to stop doing that and start to put myself first once in a while. To this end I have planned out my meals for the week and tonight will be getting the groceries I need for those meals. I'm only buying what I need and nothing else - no "cheat foods" as I don't want the temptation in the house. Also tonight I will be creating the workout schedule and plan to use it. I'll post copies of both here tomorrow and welcome the feedback anyone cares to share on both.

Goals this week: 1. Manage the stress in a healthy way - no binging! 2. Follow the schedules - stay primal.

Grok on!

Looking through blogs and books to read on Primal and paleo lifestyle changes I came across a book titled Make Shift Happen by Dean Dwyer - has anyone read this book? Is it worth looking at or not. It seems, from the reviews, that this is a who body, mind and soul kinda thing. Just curious what any cave dwellers who read it think.

I managed to find a copy of Make Shift Happen and almost from the first sentence found I connected with the author's work. Much of what he describes is how I have felt and continue to feel about myself and my weight. At the moment I am just reading through the book thinking about what the author has to say and weighing it against other research I have done and opinions I have read or heard. I plan to read through the book a second time after I am done and pull out the information that resonates with me.

So far the big things I have taken away from the book are as follows:
    1. Creating change in yourself is nothing other than teaching yourself new behaviors. Think big but act small - don't overwhelm yourself.
    2. Don't put off that change - commit to starting today.
    3. Simplicity is sustainable - don't make your lifestyle change any more complicated than it needs to be. (KISS theory - Keep it simple, stupid)
    4. Track what you eat - make this a part of our daily routine - log everything that you eat and be brutally honest about it. (Anyone know a good and easy to use online tracker. I gave paleo-tracker a try and was not a huge fan - I found many of the foods I eat were not in the database and I ended up spending way too much time adding foods to the list)

But perhaps the biggest head slapping moment (so far) for me came when the author Dean Dwyer put a name to the thing I have been struggling with the most - he calls it "Resistance" As he puts it - this is the voice inside our head - the inner heckler that just won't shut up. It's the monster that encourages you to skip a workout because you've earned it, the thing that pushes you to get the chocolate bar at the corner store or convinces you that what you are doing is hopeless. It's the demon I have struggled against in every failed attempt to lose weight.

Strangely enough its the one thing I never really thought all that much about before today - How to positively keep focused and ignore the inner critic and accept when I have had a setback and deal with it. It's a lot to think about and to incorporate so I'll go slow and keep it simple. The book has forced me to ask a lot of questions about myself and my path to the caves. Now to set out on the journey to find the answers. Who knew this primal thing would lead to a total reinvention of this primate!?!

Grok on fellow cave dwellers!

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Thanks ssn679doc! I will keep that in mind! I love the food saver - my folks have one and we make use of it after hunting and fishing trips too. I want to research the bags a little more before boiling them - want to make sure nothing harmful could leach out of the plastic into the food. Have you done any marinating of meat before sealing it?
    Yes... you can put a marinade in the bag and vacuum seal it. It is supposed to help the marinade be "absorbed" in to the meat and make it juicier...

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Who knew this primal thing would lead to a total reinvention of this primate!?!

Grok on fellow cave dwellers!
    Yes, who knew? But it really is transformational. Good luck with your efforts to conquer stress and to change your lifestyle, every little counts and one day you will look back and see how far you've come. Best wishes for your wedding and your future too.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast