Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sprinting! page 4

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I guess I'm just different because I've always seen running as the most normal human way to travel. I'm sure people think I'm weird or always late for a bus or something but I'll just start running even if I'm in my regular street clothes. Just running to get somewhere feels like the way humans are supposed to get somewhere. It's faster than walking, more exuberant and yet if you do it slow enough it's not tiring.
    The t-nation article was making a point against non-minimalist running it seemed to me (since it mentioned heel-striking and the mechanisms the body has in place as natural shock-absorbers and such) not against running in general.

Either way, this isn't about what's the best method of locomotion, but rather what exercise has the most bang for your buck between sprinting and jogging. I think we should all be mature enough to admit that there's space for both sprinting and jogging (and obviously walking) when it comes to human locomotion. There's absolutely no need to determine a "best" because we employ all of them.

Sprinting is my downfall, I haven't been able to stick to a once a week routine for more than 2-3 weeks before I "forget" to do them... I really should since I don't really have a lower body routine at the moment. My conditioning in that area is pretty horrible too, I can hardly do 5 uphill sprints now before wanting to go home and ball up. Ideally I'd do my sprints via a sport such as soccer, so I'm looking for an outdoor league or something to join.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    The t-nation article was making a point against non-minimalist running it seemed to me (since it mentioned heel-striking and the mechanisms the body has in place as natural shock-absorbers and such) not against running in general.

Either way, this isn't about what's the best method of locomotion, but rather what exercise has the most bang for your buck between sprinting and jogging. I think we should all be mature enough to admit that there's space for both sprinting and jogging (and obviously walking) when it comes to human locomotion. There's absolutely no need to determine a "best" because we employ all of them.

Sprinting is my downfall, I haven't been able to stick to a once a week routine for more than 2-3 weeks before I "forget" to do them... I really should since I don't really have a lower body routine at the moment. My conditioning in that area is pretty horrible too, I can hardly do 5 uphill sprints now before wanting to go home and ball up. Ideally I'd do my sprints via a sport such as soccer, so I'm looking for an outdoor league or something to join.
    I sometimes run barefoot when doing sprints, other times I use my minimalist shoes. When sprinting, in particular, you are always running on the balls of your feet. Sprinting can be quite challenging for the first couple of weeks, however if you stick with it you will adjust to and enjoy the experience. Remember to warm up with some light jogging and slowly build up to maximum efforts. One of the main points of the article is the important biochemical changes that take place once you become sprint adapted, especially the increased production of human growth hormone.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I sometimes run barefoot when doing sprints, other times I use my minimalist shoes. When sprinting, in particular, you are always running on the balls of your feet. Sprinting can be quite challenging for the first couple of weeks, however if you stick with it you will adjust to and enjoy the experience. Remember to warm up with some light jogging and slowly build up to maximum efforts. One of the main points of the article is the important biochemical changes that take place once you become sprint adapted, especially the increased production of human growth hormone.
    Absolutely. I'm aiming to get back into it starting with a light "re-introduction to sprinting" workout when I get home from work.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Sadly only for iOs.

Has anyone tried pulling a resistance sled during your HIIT sprint workouts? Here's a great article on the benefits of this type of training aid.

Conventional Sprints or Resisted Sprints?

HIT, HIIT...or HIRT

Some good info that will help you decide on the approach that's best for you.

HIT, HIIT…or HIIRT? | Ancestral Momentum

maidenvoyager is offline Junior Member
    I was wondering if perhaps heavy kettlebell swings or snatches would count as a form of sprinting - given that they race my heart rate all the way up very quickly? I don't know if this question has been asked before ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast