Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprinting! page 2

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H View Post
    I'm currently sidelined from sprinting due to a broken toe. Prior to last Sunday, I was sprinting or doing tabata with my kettlebell at least once per week.
    Hope your toe heals quickly. I am mightily impressed that you were doing sprints at 266 lbs, get well soon and make sure you very gradually incorporate sprinting back into your routine!

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I sprint when i feel like it. However i can only do it fasted, or I'll get nauseated
    Billie trips balls

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I do more of a traditional 'Tabata' training: short sprints followed by short rest. If I am feeling ornery, I will jog in between the sprints. If I'm not, I'll completely stop for my rest.

It basically goes like this when I am on the treadmill: 1 minute sprint, 2 minute jog for 60 minutes. I can only do this twice/week since I have a chronic injury related to a broken femur neck 25 years ago.

I don't sprint outside as much as I'd like to do. The last time I did was on a fire access road in the middle of Oregon! It was beautiful.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    I do more of a traditional 'Tabata' training: short sprints followed by short rest. If I am feeling ornery, I will jog in between the sprints. If I'm not, I'll completely stop for my rest.

It basically goes like this when I am on the treadmill: 1 minute sprint, 2 minute jog for 60 minutes. I can only do this twice/week since I have a chronic injury related to a broken femur neck 25 years ago.

I don't sprint outside as much as I'd like to do. The last time I did was on a fire access road in the middle of Oregon! It was beautiful.
    I can relate to your fire access road experience. Some of the best times to sprint are when the spirit strikes and you just feel like sprinting for the sure joy of it.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I did sprinting for several months. I quit because it seemed to injure me more than anything and it didn't help me lose any weight. I'm trying slower exercise now to see if that will help me build my aerobic base up. It's pretty piss-poor right now.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    I sprint 2-3 times per month, and it's not enough. I feel like I could benefit from adding 1 or 2 sessions, but can never really find the time. I need to fix that, soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I did sprinting for several months. I quit because it seemed to injure me more than anything and it didn't help me lose any weight. I'm trying slower exercise now to see if that will help me build my aerobic base up. It's pretty piss-poor right now.
    I suggest doing MovNat, its very primal and will lay a good functional foundation that you can build on -

here's a link - MovNat is for everyone! - YouTube

Here's some great info on the benefits of sprinting. Especially how it relates to natural increases in HGH and it's effect on fat loss.

Human Growth Hormone (HGH) – Breaking Down a Few Scientific Studies

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I've recently put sprints back into my weekly program, though I'm struggling a bit with when to do them. Sprints kill my squats the following day, and vice versa. Right now I'm enjoying old fashioned 100 yard dashes, trying to get 6 good ones in a session then do some chins and pushups.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Here's some great info on the benefits of sprinting. Especially how it relates to natural increases in HGH and it's effect on fat loss.

Human Growth Hormone (HGH) – Breaking Down a Few Scientific Studies
    Good article.
    I do sprints 3 times a week. 30 second sprint, 90 seconds at a slower recovery pace, repeated 8 times.
    Then I don't eat anything for at least an hour afterwards. Works well.
    Funny thing is, when I finally do eat an hour or so after sprints, I don't seem as hungry, for some reason, and I fill up quicker.
    Then again, I stay away from fruits at that point, and eat tubers and veggies as my carbs. (along with a protein source). Maybe that's the reason that I don't want to eat everything in the house after sprinting.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast