Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The exception to the rule of "chronic cardio..." page 2

Shop Now
    Couldn't it just be the case that you are one of the very select few people who are genetically pre-disposed to higher levels of exercise, etc?

If I am reading Prof. Mark correctly, then a very small group of people have genes such that what would be excessive exercise for most of us is just right for them.

But if it was causing you pain, then perhaps this is the body's way of saying to slow things down. It just might be the trade-off you have to take. Perhaps the body you remember having was different than the body which would be optimally healthy for you? That seemed to be what you indicated in the last post.

Perhaps you could up walking and resistance workouts though? If it's for a goal, and that goal is a one-time thing, busting it to make the goal probably won't kill you in the long run!

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, some people are just programmed for higher exercise stress loads. I can lift heavy every single day, (used to) run miles and miles every single day, etc., and I'm virtually never sore/tired/exhibit overtraining symptoms. I make it a point now to build in much more down time or low-level stuff just to be safe, but I never had any ill effects from like 15 straight years of exercise loads that seem borderline superhero in hindsight.

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you need to up your intensity now that you've dropped so much volume?

ms sage is offline Member
    ErinC
    sounds like you teach a lot of intensity classes! The industry needs all the good instructors it can get! Any chance of you teaching lower intensity classes such as elders/seniors, kids classes, ect? I once taught a walking (no kidding!) class. We went to various trails in the area. When I took my cycle training I immediately loved the intensity of it and had 3 classes per week of this format. My knees did not love it! So I backed off to 1 and count that as my "sprint " day. Some of us, especially instructor types, get hooked on the rush of intensity classes. That was totally me! Now I focus on the rewards of bringing movement to formally sedentary folks. I knew if I wanted to continue what I love, I needed to alter my tactics.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I am trying Phil Maffetone's ideas since I thought I had some signs of overtraining. I have not decided if they work or not, but I'm enjoying the journey so far. Here's his PDF about overtraining.

http://www.philmaffetone.com/files/T...g-Syndrome.pdf

Or the Google Quick view version.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    i'm going to be the one to say it, and i'm not trying to start the CICO war again. but you're burning less calories now. so maybe you need to eat less calories now. just a thought

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I am trying Phil Maffetone's ideas since I thought I had some signs of overtraining. I have not decided if they work or not, but I'm enjoying the journey so far. Here's his PDF about overtraining.

Or the Google Quick view version.
    Great link, just kinda speed read it, but great information thanks.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12