Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood lipids test came back page

bdilla is offline Senior Member

Blood lipids test came back

Primal Fuel
    I've been following Primal for nearly a year now. I've lost a lot of weight and gained a lot of self-confidence, energy, and happiness. That being said, my father has been unmoved throughout it all, undeterred in his conviction that I have gigantic balls of cholesterol inching their ways through my bloodstream, ready to strike with a stroke or a heart attack at any instant.

So, I had a blood lipid test. The results are as follows:

Total cholesterol: 162
    Triglycerides: 71
    HDL: 74
    LDL: 74

I think I won.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdilla View Post
    I've been following Primal for nearly a year now. I've lost a lot of weight and gained a lot of self-confidence, energy, and happiness. That being said, my father has been unmoved throughout it all, undeterred in his conviction that I have gigantic balls of cholesterol inching their ways through my bloodstream, ready to strike with a stroke or a heart attack at any instant.

So, I had a blood lipid test. The results are as follows:

Total cholesterol: 162
    Triglycerides: 71
    HDL: 74
    LDL: 74

I think I won.
    What were your numbers when you started Primal?

That was my first lipid test, I didn't take it before. But they are very healthy numbers so that's enough to know I'm doing the right thing. They couldn't have been good before.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Seems a little low, but since cholesterol is meaningless anyway - it shows nothing. It's fun that you were able to convince your dad, in his confused way, that you're not about to die. But he really needs to get educated about cholesterol if he still thinks it's a valid biomarker or predictor of heart health for most people.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Seems a little low, but since cholesterol is meaningless anyway - it shows nothing. It's fun that you were able to convince your dad, in his confused way, that you're not about to die. But he really needs to get educated about cholesterol if he still thinks it's a valid biomarker or predictor of heart health for most people.
    Yeah, it is low, Regardless, it seemed to be the only way to convince my dad that it was "working". Whatever gets me closer to getting him to eat healthier...

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yeah. I know how it is.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Nice! I'm more inclined to fall into the numbers aren't important group but, by CW, those are great numbers. Out of curiosity, can you give a rundown of your diet? How many carbs, eggs, meat, coconut oil, alcohol, etc? Just curious about your typical diet

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I understand your glee over this. Both of my parents have high cholesterol and my dad has been on statins for about a decade. I've always had high cholesterol and doctors have always told me it's because of my genes and that I'm basically screwed. (I did always find it interesting that despite the fact that both sides of my family have 'hereditary high cholesterol' that not a single person in the past 4+ generations has died from heart disease, stroke, heart attack, etc.) My dad followed Atkins back when it was trendy. Well, ever since I cut out wheat and started eating more fats and protein he keeps telling me this will do nothing and that he knows this because of his Atkins experience.

I can only tell him, "This isn't Atkins, dad..." so many times!! He still won't hear what I'm saying. I'm looking forward to getting my lipid panel done in the near future and hopefully show him some good results. I've never had a total cholesterol count of under 226 in my life (despite the fact that my ratios and tris are ideal...), even when I was distance/endurance running, eating mostly vegan, or counting Calories to lose weight: same cholesterol now, give or take 1 or 2 points, as I had when I was 40 pounds heavier. If I can show him that eating this way makes my cholesterol panel look better, he may change his ways and get healthy, too.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Emmet Fitz-Hume View Post
    Nice! I'm more inclined to fall into the numbers aren't important group but, by CW, those are great numbers. Out of curiosity, can you give a rundown of your diet? How many carbs, eggs, meat, coconut oil, alcohol, etc? Just curious about your typical diet
    Sure. My diet's very sporadic, as I'm really trying to cut down to single digit BF%, and I'm trying different things out. My body is essentially done burning fat when I do what I consider "unrestricted" Primal, which includes dairy, dark chocolate, nuts, and eating as much as I want to. So, I tend to try different things, but up until this week, it's been pretty much at random. Some days I'll only eat one meal, some days I'll eat three. I eat a lot of eggs, a ton of spinach, as much meat as I want (which is usually a fuck-ton. I have a huge appetite most days). I eat salads at my college dining hall (which is considered in the top 10 college food services in the US - their vegetables are all local and organic!) almost every day, and when I go I usually eat 2 plates of them. This week I've been eating high carb, high fat, moderate protein. I feel nice and full and I'm not gaining any weight. I eat a lot of sweet potato, white potato, and overload on vegetables when I can since I don't eat them every day.

A sample day:

meal 1:
    3/4 lb of grass-fed beef liver sauteed in olive oil/coconut oil/ghee
    half an onion
    4-5 white mushrooms
    1/2 sweet potato

meal 2:

4-5 eggs
    1/2 sweet potato
    3/4 lb organic cube steak

another sample day:

meal 1:
    huge ass salad with spinach, banana peppers, red onions, olives, bacon crumbles, green peppers, and grape tomatoes with a bunch of olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    then another one.
    then maybe another one, or a big ass plate of meat and vegetables from somewhere else. I get my damn money's worth.

meal 2:
    a large amount of steamed cauliflower drizzled in olive oil infused with basil
    a large amount of randomized selections of meat in my freezer

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Sounds like your going well bdilla, have you posted any progress pics recently?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast