Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The last puff!!

Shop Now
    Over 6 years for me! Understanding why I was smoking made a huge difference for me. Also, I re-defined myself as a non-smoker right away, which helped. I found that thinking of myself as a person who does not smoke was really helpful instead of thinking of myself as someone quitting smoking. It's a small but important distinction.
    If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive. --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    You go Jenna!
    I love this! Too cute!

Congrats! My dad quit smoking before I was born, just cold turkey, and still says it was hard but the best thing he ever did for himself.

I've got two brothers who smoke - I'd love to hear what it is about the Allen Carr book that has made believers out of so many people!

Quote Originally Posted by merryish View Post
    Congrats! My dad quit smoking before I was born, just cold turkey, and still says it was hard but the best thing he ever did for himself.

I've got two brothers who smoke - I'd love to hear what it is about the Allen Carr book that has made believers out of so many people!
    I am glad that your dad quit before you were born... it must pain him to see his sons smoke now. I know my dad hated the fact that I smoked after I saw him quit when I was a kid. I cannot really say what it is about this book that flipped the switch. It wasn't a psychological trick or anything. It doesn't use scare tactics either... It just makes you see yourself as a non-smoker and happy to be free of it. I can't really say 100 % that it "worked" but I feel like it did. Plus you can smoke while you read it, lol... that helped. You can also see the seminar he does in webcast form I believe

Congratulations! It's an awesome decision to make!
    I tried a ton of times to quit, and then around two years ago I decided to stop trying. I made a deal with myself that I would never more think about trying to quit, but would smoke without feeling bad until I had the right mindset to quit.
    It came about half a year later in January 2011 where I one day decided that after smoking the last cigarette in the pack, I was a non-smoker. A couple of days later, I was at a smoky bar and a guy I just met (friend of a friend) teased me by borrowing a cig from a girl, to give to me. I placed it behind my ear, and when I left a good while later she asked if she could have it back, since I wasn't going to use it
    Already those days later I felt like a non-smoker because I had made that choice!

Congrats! I will be joining you as a non smoker on October 1st! It is all about mindset!

Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 years for me. Met the man I'm still hopelessly in love with and decided I wanted to be with him for a very, very long time. And I knew he was a keeper when he endured all of my withdrawal bs -- from the fetal position to downright nastiness.

You can so do it and will feel worlds better!

I quit when I found out I was pregnant (wasn't planning on it), but "I did it, I did it, and you can do it too!" [set to music]. You'll have some hard days, but keep up your determination and before you know it you won't be thinking about it anymore.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Paleobird Guest
    Congratulations on one of the best decisions you will ever make. I watched my grandmother die of lung cancer when I was a little kid and it had a profound effect on me. Not a good way to go.

You are going to live to see your grandkids grow up. That is awesome.

Shop Now
    awesome! way to go!