Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am gonna be a serious comic material in the gym today... page

Leida is offline Senior Member

I am gonna be a serious comic material in the gym today...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I worked with the PT last week and I am integrating his suggestions. Along with the very good and reasonable ideas, he noted a wobble on the way up as I squat, and to correct it he suggested I bestride the thigh extension machine.

So, I will be using a thigh machine. Might as well throw in calf raises (not recommended by the trainer), I suppose, to achieve the full impact. I am preparing a peaceful meditation to go through with it. Kittens, daisies, butterflies. But hey, if it gets rid of the wobble, it will be worth it since the wobble looks silly as well.

To add to this he thinks I need to get into my transverse abdominal, so I will be attempting to learn the wood-choppers. I think it is actually a good addition, but in my experience the motions like this are hard for me to replicate well. I will try a few times, and if I can't get a hang of it, I am leaving it for the next training session with the guy. I would have kept the thigh extensions too, but i'd rather we spend time on the more productive moves.

All and all, I am keeping my fingers crossed for a very small crowd in the gym today.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ms sage is offline Member
    Planks work well for core stability as well. And are easier for most people to accomplish with good form. Try practicing your wood chops with no weight til you get your form perfected. Happy transverse training. It's like natural spanx!

I actually do planks and straight body rise, but PT wants something specific for transverse. The PT thinks core is a big item for me. I don't disagree

Tried woodchopper yesterday, going up in weight - getting a bit more comfortable with it, but will do a form check. It did not look too bad in the mirror.

Lords in Heaven! There are THREE, I repeat, THREE thigh machines in the gym. The weirdo rotating thinggie, abductor and adductor. Talk about wasting space... erm. Okay. I did abductor, but this morning thinking about what I am trying to achieve, I think it was adductor I wanted (squeezing motion on the way up from the squat). I need to ask the PT which one he wants me to do specifically. Hopefully not all three. I tried to tell myself that I look very erm, womanly....

At least nobody asked me how many sets I had left & can we share on the thigh machine, because on every other piece of equipment I worked yesterday someone was bugging me with it, rack, and parallel bars and the pulleys. The boys are back in town, blah.... just need to wait out a week or two, and then it should be better till January hits us with the wave of the Resolutionists.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    What about doing squats with a lower weight but slowing down the tempo? I assume the wobble correlates to being weak in that sticking portion, right?

Feel free to ignore me though, I don't really lift so I should keep my trap shut.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I'm not an expert on matters of exercise physiology, but I thought the latest theory was that you want to stabilize the lumbar spine, not mobilize it. I'd skip the transverse stuff and do some farmers walks (or sandbag-held-high-on-your-chest walks) and see if that wobble goes away. Just my worthless 2 cents.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    What about doing squats with a lower weight but slowing down the tempo? I assume the wobble correlates to being weak in that sticking portion, right?
    this is what i was thinking. either a weakness or some sort of mobility/impingement issue.

if you want to get better at squats, do squats. and i would avoid the leg extenision machine. it puts undue stress on the knee joint.

I normally do my warm-up squats slowly, so if that was the problem, it would have fixed it, I think.

I will chat with the PT about the specifics. I think he wanted isolation on the either inner or outer thigh. I personally would rather do farmer's walks or bring back my front and side lunging with KBs that he wants to take out after SQT and split SQT (too much/too light/on cross-purpose with str gain), as I feel them in stabilizers more than the machine.

However, I think what happened is that he was seeing the lack of small muscle targets in my overall strength schedule that's why woodchoppers, rotator and the thigh abductor/adductor (?). Since I have never done it as a part of support, always concentrating on the big compounds, I don't mind experimenting. I guess.

AND! The cross-body pull did strengthen my rear delt eliminating an injury I kept inflicting on it by OHP/BP. (Hmm, I did not think about that before getting pouty).

It's just the thigh machine that makes me feel awkward. But then I do throw in bicep curls once in a blue moon when I feel down or want to fit in with the high school crowd. Funny, those ones make me feel good, but the thigh machine makes me feel stupid. Calf rises made me feel stupid until I got a ridiculous idea that having a bigger calf might balance my large upper leg.

So, if I understand the purpose/reasoning better, I might be more receptive? Hmm?
    Last edited by Leida; 09-19-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Howard44 is offline Junior Member
    Don't ever worry about what you look like in the gym. I joined a new gym recently with a high percentage of young, very pumped up blokes. When I first started doing 'windshield wipers', side planks off a bench, wood chops and dragon flys I got some derogatory comments and people looking at me like I was the 'mad old bloke' (I'm 45). Over the last few weeks though, I've seen some of those guys trying to do some of these exercises after watching me and they've usually failed miserably, despite their big muscles. Now I've made some new friends who are interested in learning about Primal living and nutrition and I can see some of them are having a change of attitude already.

Thank you

I have a relatively thick gym skin developed through lifting for a few years now with the high school crowd and the assorted very well endowed serious lifters, the kind that bench more than I deadlift - we have the same gym time. But it was developed to protect myself from thinking about how ultra-light I lift compared to everyone else, not to doing something real funny. Heh. I guess time to develop a new layer....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i have been doing one legged leg press it hits the inner thigh. or it feels like it does if you keep your knees in line with your feet properly. i take all the added weight off, so maybe it is down to 40kgs? take out the pins which stop it dropping on you and then go as far down as i can nice and slowly. 20 reps there. then add weight. 20 kgs on each side i think. and do 3 sets of 10 reps on each leg as far down as i can go. i have a spotter too so i dont drop it. not that i ever nearly have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast