Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking forward to using Convict Conditioning? page

Grokdaddy is offline Senior Member

Looking forward to using Convict Conditioning?

Primal Fuel
    I just bought the book Convict Conditioning (Kindle). I was wondering if anyone has been using this "system" for at least six months or more and is so what have been your results so far? I have only completed the first few chapters but I am pretty excited by trying the workouts. I know dudes in prisons/jails are limited to only body weight workouts and I see the results from these workouts almost everyday (I'm a cop). I have to admit some of this guys are have pretty impressive physiques and I can personally attest to the strength that comes with this (I've been in some knockdown/drag outs with some of 'em).
    All time high weight 262 lbs
    Primal since Spring 2012
    Start PB Weight: 240 lbs ish
    Current Weight: 220lbs ish
    Goal Weight:190-200 lbs
    All on a 6ft. 1/2 inch frame.

I can't wait to meet my abs for the first time in my life. We gotta lot of catching up to do.

I love this way of eating and hope to be able to help others.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Gotta love the irony.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    I don't really like "systems" or "programs" when used as a selling tool. Lifting heavy is lifting heavy, bodyweight work has its place but its body weight work, barbell complexes ( or any complex for that matter, I'm looking at you CrossFit) and sprints are conditioning tools, It's when they get gimmiky names that people get confused and or to worried about honing in on the "perfect program" not saying you are doing so, you are just asking a question. I think everyone can just step back, see the exercises for what they are, and program accordingly. That being said, I love bodyweight workouts, I do one a week, just to keep myself in check, one leg squats are hard as hell! I try to keep everything in my program. Strength, Conditioning, Bodyweight movements

M - Lift heavy
    T- conditoning complex
    w- off
    th-Lift heavy
    f-sprints
    s- bodyweight workout + hill sprints
    s-

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Been on Convict Conditioning since November, stronger now than I ever was and I started with some good lifting stats.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    I'm on it. It's not just about strength - any barbell program would serve you better there. It's about teaching your muscles to work in concert so you get stronger, yes, but you get better balance, a bit more agile, and you're proprioception improves. Bodyweight work is about learning how to more efficiently use your body, playing to strengths and improving weaknesses. I personally use CC in conjunction with Starting Strength, and I'm amazed at my progress.

But don't rush it - take it step by step, even if it seems way easy. In the long run, you'll make better progress.

andyTHFC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscellangela View Post
    I personally use CC in conjunction with Starting Strength, and I'm amazed at my progress.
    I'm interested in doing something like this. How do you combine the two?

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    I do the three day per week CC program (i think it's called Good Behavior, or something similarly hokey), and just do the excercises after my SS workout (also 3 days per week). The SS workout is tough, but i usually have enough gas left in the tank to bang out the CC workout - it's only 2 work sets each of 2 exercises per day. And since i just did the SS workout, i skip the CC warmup to conserve strength for the CC work sets. Sometimes i take a 10 min or so brisk walk in between the two to regroup if I feel especially pooped, but it's gone well so far.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing CC for over a year now, almost a year and a half.
    I'm doing half 1-arm pushups, and what I call "3-point Pushups" which is a 1-arm with spread legs.
    I'm doing full pistol squats, but I have to do them either in shoes with a heel or a small (~8lbs) weight for counterbalancing.
    Most of the rest of my results aren't that fantastic, but I've made a lot of progress. I usually do hanging leg raises in boots, which adds quite a bit to the difficulty, so I'm still at knees and sometimes bent leg.
    Pullups are between full pullups and close pullups.
    I do head bridges and I'm still working my handstand. I can do a few HSPU, but I haven't really met the progression standards for the handstand itself. My shoulders and forearms have been holding me back, but they're getting better.

I've definitely put on some muscle mass, and I'm able to do some of these exercises that were way beyond my ability when I started.

*Edit*
    I was doing both CC and StrongLifts together for a while, with some Army PT as well. I use the CC stuff as something to do during my breaks at work. I was doing Stronglifts Mondays and Fridays, and usually a sprint session on Wednesdays for the Army. I didn't start SL until after about 12 months of CC, and I've been quite surprised by how far I've gotten with so little stalling, other than with my overhead press.
    Last edited by jfreaksho; 09-18-2012 at 04:24 PM.

karatepig is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baogzhniia1 View Post
    I live alone with my two cats in an apartment.
    Do they help with the rent, or do you use them to satisfy your interspecial desires?

Now that I have poked fun at the spambot, yes, I do follow Convict Conditioning. I also do compound barbell lifts (specifically, stronglifts 5x5). I simply lift chunks of steel one day, rest the next, perform bodyweight exercises the day after that, rest, then repeat the cycle. I am progressing smoothly on both programs.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    This is my second time around doing CC. The first time I tried to take it way too fast and even skipped progressions. I ended up stalling about 4 months in, and didn't progress at all for a full month. I gave up and moved on to something else. I'm 2 months in now, and just staying slow and steady has cleared up a shoulder impingement and has helped to correct my anterior pelvic tilt. My program is also hybrid, but I use kettlebells and sandbags in conjunction with my 4 day/week CC program.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast