Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to? primal pescetarian page

rstone is offline Junior Member

how to? primal pescetarian

Shop Now
    I am sure this has been touched on before and I know Mark's wife has posted what she eats in a day as she is also a pescetarian... but I was wondering if anyone had or has any thoughts, inputs, or ideas that could help me out with being a primal pescetarian. I am a pescetarian and I do not plan on eating meat anytime soon. The only dairy I eat is homemade 24-hour full fat yogurt (which btw is very delicious)!

all help is much welcome

thank you!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Veggies is simple. Obviously you've got that part covered. Lots of salad, saute veggies in coconut oil, roast 'em, steam 'em... Include fermented veggies as well.

So, cooking means no tallow or lard. Ok, use LOTS of coconut oil.

For protein, you have eggs (EAT LOTS), fish (a few times a week), and yogurt (opt for full-fat Greek style which is less carby). You can also include cheese, though you say that you do not consume other dairy beyond the yogurt.

Make sure your eggs come from pasture-raised chickens/hens. This is good for the omega-3 ratio and less contaminants they contain.

Fish. As much as possible, stick to wild caught fish. Eat some seafood a few times a week. Maybe three or four times. Good fish to choose is wild Alaskan Salmon, Cod, Halibut, Bluefish... Sardines and anchovies too!

Stay away from the fish that are typically contaminated. Well, have them on occasion, just don't make a daily habit of them. Swordfish, Tuna, Marlin, Mahi-Mahi are common examples that have shown high levels of contamination.

Among shellfish, there's shrimp, crawfish, lobster, crabs, clams, muscles, scallops... Think out of the box.

Squid and octopus might make it in there on occasion as well!

The yogurt is great, just don't add a ton of sugar when you are making it. Remember that you're trying to decrease carb intake at least somewhat, from what was likely your CW pre-primal ridiculousness. Cheese is another good option if you ever choose to add it back in, just don't go nuts as the calories pack on fast! Try to keep dairy raw where possible.

My thoughts anyway. Cheers, and good luck!
    Last edited by Drumroll; 09-17-2012 at 05:43 PM.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    I did a search of what Mark's pescatarian wife eats and couldn't find it, could you share link? I'd love to see it!
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Fish is the food of the gods. It has omega 3's, iodine, all kinds of good stuff. Go for sardines, salmon, barramundi, any fish with omega 3's. Stay away from anything with mercury, but I'm sure you know all about that. If you don't have it, get the book Bottomfeeder, it's awesome.

Anyway, I think you'll do excellently well on fish and coconut oil/milk. Enjoy!

Nady is offline Senior Member
    You might consider some fresh water fish too~ like lake/rainbow trout, walleye, perch/sunfish, bass or catfish. Also crawdads/crayfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    You might consider some fresh water fish too~ like lake/rainbow trout, walleye, perch/sunfish, bass or catfish. Also crawdads/crayfish.
    Catfish and lake trout are two of the most contaminated fish with environmental pollutants.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Catfish and lake trout are two of the most contaminated fish with environmental pollutants.
    Well yuck! Been a long time since I went fishing~ not so good here in AZ, but when I was a kid in MN, good fishing in those lakes. Maybe some areas are better than others?

Tracycoope is offline Junior Member
    This is good for the omega-3 ratio and less contaminants they contain.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Isn't it really easy to be a primal pescietarian?

Use coconut oil instead of animal based oils, and eat fish instead of animals.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Well yuck! Been a long time since I went fishing~ not so good here in AZ, but when I was a kid in MN, good fishing in those lakes. Maybe some areas are better than others?
    It's not a bar on EVER eating them, just don't make them part of your daily diet. Maybe not even weekly. A couple of times a month maybe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast