Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: had my first heavy lifting workout at the gym, today i am pretty sore page

dirk41 is offline Senior Member

had my first heavy lifting workout at the gym, today i am pretty sore

Primal Fuel
    (Btw, I'm 22, 5'9, 140 lbs)

Went to the gym for the first ever on Sunday and did some heavy lifting. Following the StrongLifts program, I did the bench press and deadlifts. I'm pretty sore all over today, but in particular my lower back is pretty stiff. I think I might have done a few deadlifts with poor form. I was planning on lifting about 3 times a week but if I feel this sore I don't know if I can. Should I cut it down to 2 times per week since I am a beginner?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Form first, then weight. Volume with really low weight is just practicing the motion. Do more than listed if you need to practice. Drop the weight down a bit so you can really get the motion down before you add weight.

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    First time ever at the gym and you went heavy? Uh oh, the soreness has only started. You'll probably be worse tomorrow.

Be patient, give your body some time to get used to a new activity. I'd do 3x/week with less weight. You'll know when your body is ready to increase resistance.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseyjim View Post
    First time ever at the gym and you went heavy? Uh oh, the soreness has only started. You'll probably be worse tomorrow.

Be patient, give your body some time to get used to a new activity. I'd do 3x/week with less weight. You'll know when your body is ready to increase resistance.
    LOL, yup it will definitely be worse tomorrow. It will pass and you won't be as sore with repeated efforts. Just go easy and rest up and eat. If you are super sore, don't train. Go for a walk / do some dynamic stretching.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Tracycoope is offline Junior Member
    the weight down a bit so you can really get the motion down before you add weight.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Decrease the weight and focus on proper form.That will give you the most gains in the long-term and help avoid preventable injuries from incorrect form. Since you are just getting started at the gym you might want to work with one of the staff to make certain your form is correct - right now this is more important than the weight.

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't Mehdi stress starting with, literally, only the bar and adding 5 lbs each session? For a "first time ever" lifter, I think that advice couldn't be any more appropriate.. I'd get on youtube or check the stronglifts website and MAKE DAMN SURE you've got form down, especially with the deadlifts. You're not in the gym to impress people, better to look a little dumb lifting an empty bar once or twice before you work up to some weight than to tear something and take an involuntary month off...
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    The Myth of Over-training
    Push through the soreness.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

zilog is offline Senior Member
    I video every set and then review it while I am resting before the next one. That way I can see if my form is OK and make any adjustments as required.

Navy87Guy is offline Junior Member
    You might want to consider giving the weights a break and just focus on the PEMs. Once you've mastered them, then moving up to weights will be easier.

If you think the weights made you sore, try a full PEM workout...
    all the pain but in the right places!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast