Thread: Health Benefits of Refined vs. Unrefined Coconut Oil? page

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Question Health Benefits of Refined vs. Unrefined Coconut Oil?

I have been buying WF's 365 brand unrefined CO, and I love it.
    But my corner grocery has started stocking a LouAna brand CO, which is a LOT less expensive ($5.29 for 31.5 fl oz)

I bought a jar, and it works fine for cooking, but lacks the coconutty aroma and taste.

My question is, taste aside---is there any advantage health-wise to the unrefined? I figured if there is, I will just use the cheap stuff for skin moisturizer, and save the yummy 365 for cooking/eating.

Any thoughts????

Lolasana is offline Junior Member
    From what I have read, if it is not virgin raw coconut oil, and it has been processed like other "food" oils have been, then it's fatty acid profile has changed and it is now detrimental to health instead of good for you. I think can reference the book by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon---"Eat Fat, Lose Fat".

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Check out this page of FAQ from Tropical Traditions:
    http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/faq.htm

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolasana View Post
    From what I have read, if it is not virgin raw coconut oil, and it has been processed like other "food" oils have been, then it's fatty acid profile has changed and it is now detrimental to health instead of good for you. I think can reference the book by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon---"Eat Fat, Lose Fat".
    Unlike those oils, coconut oil is all saturated fat which is solid at room temperature, and doesn't oxidize and go rancid when subjected to heat.

Refined coconut oil has the benefits of lauric acid and there is no evidence to suggest that it has any detrimental effects. It is just for people who want to cook with it but don't want their food to taste coconutty.

Buckey is offline Junior Member
    I've been meaning to try coconut oil but I can't find it in the supermarket! I did come across a vegetable shortening with ingredients hardened coconut oil and soy lecithin.

Any thoughts on this? I try to avoid soy as much as possible.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Buckey,
    No, no NO. Please stay away from anything which isn't 100% coconut oil.
    If you don't have it at your local store, you can order it online from Tropical Traditions...

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    Also, Amazon has it for a pretty good price.

Buckey is offline Junior Member
    Thanks! While I'm waiting, I think I'll try the Avocado oil I've been eyeing.

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    I've been using the LouAna brand coconut oil from Walmart myself. I do realize that it is refined, however as a student I simply can't afford the virgin brands so I figure for now it's an acceptable compromise and at least healthier than vegetable oils. It is not hydrogenated and still has the MCT's that are the primary benefit of using coconut oil.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I used refined all the time for cooking without all the coconutty taste which for me, is gaggy. As mentioned before, it does not change ANY of the health benefits of the oil. The refining process removes the coconut flavor, making it more neutral. Just make sure you use a quality product like tropical traditions, or spectrum organic. Organic is a key here as well......