Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal of a lifelong seeker... phaselow page 4

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    ive read if something stresses you out it makes it even harder to lose weight, don't know how true it actually is though. btw I'm going to pick up raw goats milk tomorrow, can you give some cheese recipes? do you make the cream cheese the same way you would with cows milk?
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Another day, another entry:

Curious. Weighed 119 this morning.

Decaf with 1t ghee/1T heavy cream

Fasted until 11AM because I wasn't home and I had no food with me. Went to the gym and did an OK work-out. I've really got to get my neck and scapula back in order. It doesn't make activity enjoyable but I try to work around it. Lower weights.

Lunch:

2c lamb/bacon/cabbage/onion stir fry
    2T peanut butter because I was starving and it was the first thing I saw

Snack:

1/3c dried coconut flakes, unsweetened
    1 large carrot

Dinner:

2 chicken thighs with 1/2c cauliflower

Rough calculation is about 55g carbs. I think I'll try to pay attention to that for a bit.

Took my probiotics, oil of oregano and 5000 IU D3 today, too.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Lazy Saturday:

decaf with my typical 1t ghee/1T heavy cream

Still not hungry for breakfast so I'm just not going to eat it.

Lunch:

1+ c of my lamb/bacon/onion/cabbage stir fry. Frankly, I'm glad it's gone. My husband isn't eating any of my Primal food these days. I think he is freaked by the amount of fat I use. Oh, well.

snack:

Huge honeycrisp apple. First whole piece of fruit in weeks, I think. I just don't crave it. Tasted great, though.
    1 small PrimalPac (jerky only)

snack:

large carrot
    10 chocolate chips

Odd combination. I just can't give up that chocolate! But, 10 is less than 100 (my usual)

Dinner:

10 oz rib eye. Oh, so good.
    few slices of pan fried zucchini

Took my probiotics, oil of oregano, 5000 IU D3. Decided to add zinc, Bcomplex, CoQ10 today. I have so many supplements in my arsenal. I take them all irregularly. I need to weed through what is important and what is not.

Got my puppy today! His name is Ethan (stupid name for a dog). He's a perfect yellow lab/pit mix.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Blech. Making some non-primal (very non primal) treats for a party. No sense in going all out for people who aren't going to appreciate it, so I went with garbage everyone will love. Melted some dark chocolate and made a bark with Heath bar, Reese's peanut butter cups, Butterfinger, honey roasted peanuts and fall colored M&Ms topping. Trouble is, I'm tasting the pieces that fall off when I break it into chunks. Suddenly, I have eaten probably the equivalent of a candy bar. It is so sweet, but old habits die hard.

I should have made my raw coconut almond joys instead. But would they even care? Probably not.

Overall I feel great. It has been stressful to study with my Autistic son for tests. I got a 100 on the science test this week! This is a bright boy with a receptive language impairment, so understanding what is being asked of him takes work on his part. I've explored going Primal with him, but right now he is so ingrained in SAD I'm finding the energy to fight the battle waxes and wanes.

Aside from the candy bar and the fatigue (homecoming last night; 2 kids went) I'm doing OK with eating. Normally, I binge when I am tired. Too tired for a run so maybe I'll take the new foster (Ethan, above) out for a walk later. He is going to make some adoptive family very happy!

Lunch:

4 slices cheddar cheese
    1/2 c full fat cottage cheese
    1/2 avocado

Snack: see above

Dinner:

Large piece of gf sirloin (10oz?)
    few slices cucumber
    2 spoonfuls mashed potatoes

Resisted the desserts that arrived with our guests. No wine, either. It just was easier to turn it down, and I didn't go after the leftovers my friends inevitably dumped on me. Love that feeling. Sometimes I see the light at the end of my decade long tunnel. I really see it.
    Last edited by PHaselow; 09-30-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Skipped a day. No sense in details. Suffice it to say I had a stressful day and didn't manage it well. My mother-in-law is dying from Ovarian cancer and was hospitalized to control the pain. She is basically sedated. Only 73.

So, today:

decaf with my old ghee/heavy cream.

Drove an hour to the hospital to hang with MIL for the morning. I didn't want to eat hospital or fast food, so I ate a large PrimalPac instead. Not substantial enough despite the high protein from the jerky. I got home around 1PM and was starving!

Lunch/snack/whatever:

Broccoli/cauliflower/bacon salad with mayonnaise. Heavy on the bacon
    2oz cheddar cheese

I've eaten dairy the past few days. First dairy since middle of July. I don't notice a huge difference, but will pay attention for any bloating or gas. I want to keep dairy intake limited to the awesome sour creams, heavy creams and occasional full fat cottage cheese.

another snack:

2T or so of the bone marrow from yesterday's soup bones. It was soooo good. Just had to taste it. Sounds disgusting, but I ate some peanut butter after it because i was still so hungry. My mistake for not making a meal and living off of snacks all day. Had a second decaf coffee with whole milk (Starbucks). Thought it would be comforting, but it wasn't.

Dinner:

Just feeling crappy about my MIL, so all I ate was some onions and mushrooms sauteed in ghee/worchestershire. The rest of the family at the chicken breast anyway. Happy to see them eating some of the healthy food so I didn't care.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

ho hum. It's Wednesday. My day is full of social functions with tempting food and making chocolate chip cookies. So far, so good!

IF from 6PM-10:30AM. I don't do this on purpose, but I'm just not hungry when I get up and then I am gone until 10-11AM most mornings. I don't want to just eat snacks.

decaf with 1t ghee/1t heavy cream

Went to gym. Had a great work-out with heavy weights and a cardio finisher My shoulder and arm are still feeling weaker than normal, but the chiropractor is doing his job.

Lunch:

3oz chicken breast
    3/4 bag broccoli slaw (15g carbs)
    1/4c roasted cashews
    marrow from 1 large soup bone (femur) and 1T bacon grease on both chicken and slaw

I'm trying to increase my fat intake a ton to see if it satiates me. I just can't stop snacking and my calorie intake is suffering. I'm sure marrow has a ton of calories, so I'm not sure if I did this right.

Dinner (not hungry AT ALL):

12-15 roasted brussel sprouts in pasture butter
    1/2 c sauteed onions/mushrooms in ghee

I think that fat thing worked for the appetite. Ugh. Let's try to find a happy medium here. No interest in the protein part of the meal (chicken). Just eating vegetables sounded awesome.

I did a guesstimate on carb intake based on a few online sources and the broccoli slaw bag. Looks like I kept my intake under 50g carbohydrates. I could have easily cut that in half without the cashews and smaller portions of the vegetables. I still weigh around 120 according to the scale, but I've been stressed with watching my MIL die and I'm not sleeping or eating well. I wish I had a healthier response to stress (but who doesn't???). Or maybe I wish I lost my appetite when stressed; that is probably more honest.

Onward.
    Last edited by PHaselow; 10-03-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

DreamHealth is offline Junior Member
    Hi phaselow! Ive been crazy busy and not on computer much since last wednesday. Havent checked in. Just wanted you to know im here still and wishing you well. Sounds like you are having a not so great week. MIL situation is tough. I love mine and i know it will be hard watching their health deteriorate. MIL and FIL are still active but almost 80.

Im thinking im jumping on this bandwagon on Monday. Ive eaten like crap this past week, at least by normal standards. Folks here are used to processed, fat, high poor quality carb diets.

Will write more. Take care and dont give up

Quote Originally Posted by DreamHealth View Post
    Hi phaselow! Ive been crazy busy and not on computer much since last wednesday. Havent checked in. Just wanted you to know im here still and wishing you well. Sounds like you are having a not so great week. MIL situation is tough. I love mine and i know it will be hard watching their health deteriorate. MIL and FIL are still active but almost 80.

Im thinking im jumping on this bandwagon on Monday. Ive eaten like crap this past week, at least by normal standards. Folks here are used to processed, fat, high poor quality carb diets.

Will write more. Take care and dont give up
    Thanks.

Hang in there with your processed week!

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Another day in paradise:

Fasted from 7PM-Noon today (except for my decaf with ghee/cream) since I was at the hospital all morning visiting my MIL. She is being moved to inpatient hospice closer to home. Depressing conversation with her because she wanted so badly to go home. Also had to get her to finally sign her power of attorney over. Not great conversations. We really should have these talks while we are healthy, or reasonably healthy! I am learning some valuable lessons at her expense.

Lunch:

1/2 c trail mix in the car: all raw nuts and some dry fruit/coconut flakes
    1 large honeycrisp apple

Got home and needed to eat more. I think I would have been better off stopping somewhere and grabbing a huge burger and only eating the meat. I just can't satiate myself on the above. So, I ate:

4oz cheddar and mozzarella cheese slices
    1oz 99% dark chocolate

I was able to go to the gym. We did a great circuit of lifting weights and plates along with some core on the Bosu ball and rope slams. I feel good, although those rope slams bothered my neck. Going in for traction on Monday to see if we can get some more improvement in my right arm. My palm and pinky feel heavy compared to the left. X-ray showed some compression of T1/T2. I was happy to see the overall health of my disc space and spine look good despite the compression and scoliosis.

Dinner:

By the time I got home from the gym, the family had eaten all of the salmon and rib eye I made for them (note to self: hide some next time). So, all I ate was:

1/2 large kabocha squash with 1T ghee and 1t bacon grease stirred in. I know that is a ton of carbs (35g). My total carb today was about 100g. Not great, but not obscene. We'll work on it. I can easily eat 30g carbs without feeling deprived.

Tomorrow night we are having a party for the cardiac team at the hospital. Lots of non-primal fare. I hope there are things I can eat. I might just eat a steak at 5PM and forgo all of the food/drink. Would that be rude? This is my husband's party and he is supplying the main course. Lasagna. Not going to eat it.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is getting a bit boring. Not too sure if I need to spice up my journal or not. Basically, I'm laying down a record of what I eat and how I chose to be active so I can't make anything up if I wonder why I'm not seeing results.

I didn't feel too well today. So, this is all I ate:

3oz salmon
    12 spicy shrimp
    2c kabocha squash; no butter

Yes, the 30-40g carbs in the squash weren't the best choice, but it was what looked good to me/felt good to me. I think the (extra) large piece of cheesecake last night is the culprit. I didn't eat any of the other foods except for a bite of a homemade gyoza out of respect for one of our guest. Oh, and a shot of tequila.

Tomorrow I head to see my Dad for his birthday. He has Parkinson's Disease, and I always leave wishing he could be 50 and active again. 78 isn't shabby, but the inactivity has packed on the pounds.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast