Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal of a lifelong seeker... phaselow page 3

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    What are your gym routines like? just curious
    I try to do something 5 days week.

I have a metabolic/strength class I go to as often as I can. It combines 8-12 mins serious breath-taking cardio with heavy lifting. We use kettle bells, fly machine, free weights (weighted squats; ugh), 'medicine balls', sledge hammers and big old tires for whacking or flipping, along with sprints or tabata training. Planks and other fun core exercises. Weather permitting, we go outside. Usually it is a 50 minute class.

I also try to run 3-5 miles twice a week. I am horrendously slow (11-12 minute miles), so I incorporate sprints. Usually I run at a comfortable speed for 5 minutes and sprint for 1 minute. Do that until I get to the 5K or 5mile mark. I"ll keep that up as long as my femur cooperates (old fracture and little bit o' scoliosis sometimes sideline me if I push it too much).

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
    I'll tell ya one thing...I will NOT buy any nutter butter product and keep it in my house. There is no..1 teaspoon here or there. There IS jar, spoon and me. period.
    I am learning that about myself. I had an open jar of raw walnut butter, a jar of tahini and a jar of almond butter that I pitched because they were too tempting. I have the peanut butter for 2 of the others in the house. It usually has no power over me. Combined with raw honey and I'm in a fugue state.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Finishing up today:

Morning decaf with ghee/heavy cream. Still can't put more than about 1t ghee and 1T heavy cream into my cup. I just don't see how anyone can do the 1/4 c cream. Just seems like I'd explode out of my jeans if I did it.

IF until 11:15. I was starving, but wasn't near any food so I just had to wait.

Lunch: Salad made from entire bag of broccoli slaw, 1/2 avocado, 1/3 c cashews, 1/4 c raisins and a warm bacon grease vinaigrette. 2 slices of bacon left over from the kids. Big handful ultra dark (99%) chocolate chips. Whoever said you can only eat a little bit of dark chocolate must be male.

Snack: Ate a bit of the bacon/ground lamb/cabbage stir fry I made early for dinner. Yum

Dinner: For some reason, not feeling like eating protein. Took a bite of the basil orange chicken and instead gorged on about 1/2 of a humongous Ambercup squash loaded with ghee (now, 1/4 c of ghee I can do! Screw the heavy cream) and pink sea salt.

Tried a bite of my daughter's frozen custard. Honestly? Didn't really feel it. Moving in the right direction.

On a confusing note: I am again another pound heavier. I'll buy that I'm gaining muscle mass back, but my goal was not to put on weight when I started this adventure. I guess I'll let my body do what it wants to do and be happy. Weighing 120 isn't the end of the world, but I had visions of something different. My weight fluctuates several pounds in a day or two so who knows what it will be like at the end of tomorrow. Trying not to resort to my old weighs of honing in on that number on the scale and allowing it to drive my mood. The not-to-recent-past me would have eaten a lot today out of frustration. Yay, me for not doing that.

No work out today. I didn't have the time.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Posted a question to the group about losing the last 5lbs off my frame. Considering fasting/restricting to get to 115lbs and then working to maintain weight there. I want my old set point back! When I hit 40 I weighed 115 pretty much no matter what I did. It seemed to be the natural place for my body to sit. I would gain 2lbs or lose 2lbs but nothing huge. Now that set point seems to be 5lbs higher and I'm feeling "thick".

I wanted some lean-ness out of this PB. I'm a bit pissy right now about it.

My hope for living the primal lifestyle would be so I didn't HAVE to restrict my eating anymore. I'm a bit discouraged that I am again going that route for weight loss, but wondering what else to do? I'm starting to feel that urge to binge/purge because I'm getting desperate. Well, desperate is a bit dramatic. I only weigh 120lbs for God's sake. Get a grip.

So, I think I will do it. Not an all out crazy fast like some do here. I can't go without food for 5 days unless i have the flu. Funny, I am a flu bug away from my target weight. I'd rather feel good and lose the weight so let's skip the illness. My husband is sick right now and I've been taking Oil of Oregano and 5000 IU D3 as my 'shield' from the virus. It is working. Love those 2 supplements in the winter months!

Off to start my experiment. Today, so far, I've just had BP coffee (only 1t ghee/1T heavy cream).

No chocolate. No nuts. Those are my two calorie killers. Is that enough to break this plateau? Only time will tell. I drop weight fairly quick, so I don't think I'll have long to wait. Honestly, I could get to 115 by Monday if I wanted to do so, but I know that would not stick.

House must be free from junk food for the next week. The kids will not be happy.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Not going to fast beyond my typical IF. I might even reconsider the IF and eat *breakfast* if/when I feel hungry.

More protein. No chocolate. No nuts. Watch vegetable carbs.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Trojan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    Not going to fast beyond my typical IF. I might even reconsider the IF and eat *breakfast* if/when I feel hungry.

More protein. No chocolate. No nuts. Watch vegetable carbs.
    I feel a Wilson Philips song coming on...Just hold on!!!!

Hang in that and stay consistant, it will happen. Losing the chocolate and nuts will help!
    Here is the deal with IF..it sometimes can be bad for woman. I know it stresses me out and raises my cortisol but that's just me. If you're a person who gets stressed out often, IF *May* not be the best solution.

I understand wanting to lose those last 5 lbs, I really do. I turn to chronic cardio and brutal workouts when my mind goes into "Super sonic crazy mode". The thing is...the weight always comes off when I don't overthink, eat clean and relax about my fluffy state. Weird no?

B
    SBF% 20.5
    CBF% 20.0
    Goal....14%

Muscle weighs more than fat and scales are evil.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    caffeine is know to speed weight loss...
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

So, this is really harder than I thought it would be. Dump processed foods, grains, sugar and eat more fat and protein. How is that so difficult? For some reason, it is for me.

So, I'm dumping IF for a bit. Correlation or not, the weight has gone up since I've started IF. I might be eating way too much when I break my fast. I should pay attention to portions if I really want to figure that out. I'm also at home and not at an office or in a classroom. Food is always within reach and I know myself well enough to know I underestimate or under report what I eat better than most. I've got that 'stay at home mom' middle aged spread!

I get stressed. If a stressed out woman should no do IF then I should not do IF! I'm not going to start eating breakfasts daily but I will just eat when I am hungry. How about that novel idea? Brilliant thoughts come late at night when there is little else to do...

I think I'll stop posting questions on the forum regarding my weight loss ordeal. I sound crazy, really. Uncertain and contradicting myself. I'm a person who thinks out loud. I type unedited and it comes across as being all over the place when I'm just working it out in front of an audience. Save my questions for later.

Here is what I ate today:

BP decaf coffee in AM (1t ghee/1T heavy cream)

"breakfast": 3 oz lamb tagine (just the lamb, not the sweet eggplant sauce)

lunch:

1.5c ground lamb, bacon, onion and cabbage stir fry. It was all sauteed in the grease from the 8oz of bacon. Good, but fatty!

dinner:

2 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
    1/2 c cauliflower cooked in the chicken fat

1 bite of a raw cacao, coconut truffle. Then I realized I had said "no chocolate" so I no more. Didn't even make it past the first day!

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    caffeine is know to speed weight loss...
    I gave up caffeine about 3 years ago to help with a rapid heart rate (PSVT). It helped a bit. I'm so caffeine free that my body goes haywire when I drink it. I can maybe do 1/4 c strong coffee without feeling the effects. I think I'd lose weight, but I'd also die.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Trojan is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    So, this is really harder than I thought it would be. Dump processed foods, grains, sugar and eat more fat and protein. How is that so difficult? For some reason, it is for me.

So, I'm dumping IF for a bit. Correlation or not, the weight has gone up since I've started IF. I might be eating way too much when I break my fast. I should pay attention to portions if I really want to figure that out. I'm also at home and not at an office or in a classroom. Food is always within reach and I know myself well enough to know I underestimate or under report what I eat better than most. I've got that 'stay at home mom' middle aged spread!

I get stressed. If a stressed out woman should no do IF then I should not do IF! I'm not going to start eating breakfasts daily but I will just eat when I am hungry. How about that novel idea? Brilliant thoughts come late at night when there is little else to do...
    Hey girl...check this blog out(unless you already read it).

Paleo For Women | The Blog

I have gained SO much insight into WHY IF might not work for some people and so so much more. She is a freaking whiz and gets it. Do you know that I feel guilty if I eat extra sugar snap PEAS? I mean come on...it's a green veggie. There is a small window into my crazy for you

I hope you have a grreat weekend!

Barbara
    SBF% 20.5
    CBF% 20.0
    Goal....14%

Muscle weighs more than fat and scales are evil.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast