Thread: Increase endurance & aerobic gains by sprinting and HIIT page

Snow is offline Junior Member

Question Increase endurance & aerobic gains by sprinting and HIIT

Primal Fuel
    Evening, Groks!

I'm preparing for an endurance exam in January in the Army for enlistment. It's a typical 3000m test. I also just got mailed that I'm also up for a thread mill cardio test in three weeks, and my cardio is not great at all, I would guess I'm a little below average. I practice calisthenics and I've just started with Yoga. I would say I'm in shape, but as I mentioned, my cardiovascular thingy is not to brag about. I'm not a fan of jogging and long distance running. I'm more a sprinting and interval guy like the typical grok. And I have experienced its mighty benefits. :P

Then I wondered if anaerobic exercise, HIIT and all out sprinting has the same benefits for your endurance and aerobic gains... I hope that it's superior, since i sprinting has so many other benefits over jogging and running. I've read Marks' articles on sprinting, and he doesn't mention anything about it either, I also looked at the marathon texts...
    I've googled the topic, and there was not much to read. I don't think this is discussed a lot either.

What are your personal experience on this? Developing long distance endurance with sprinting, instead of cardio. Or is the old saying that you'll get better at something, if you do it a lot, correct here too?

Snow

You should be able to run 2-3 miles with good sprint training. The problem is knowing how to pace yourself if you don't practice.

Also when doing sprints do you run only a certain distance or do you run as fast and as far as you can? The later will increase cardio more.

Do you have to do the typical 1.5 mile run? If so just go out and do a practice run or two. Should only take about 15 mins.

Bob

I read something in a research article.

"We conclude that short sprint interval training (approximately 15 min of intense exercise over 2 wk) increased muscle oxidative potential and doubled endurance capacity during intense aerobic cycling in recreationally active individuals."

Six sessions of sprint interval training incr... [J Appl Physiol. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

I go all out. Sprint for about 10-15 seconds and walk for 3-4 minutes until I think I'm capable of doing it again. I go for about 4-5 times per workout. Afterwards, I feel both awesome and fatigued!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Usually the standards for enlisting aren't *that* high- they expect that they have to work to get you in shape during your initial training.

I recommend doing sprints, but learning a sense of pace is also very important. It's just secondary. Just don't overdo the sprints, though.

Tracycoope is offline Junior Member
    The problem is knowing how to pace yourself if you don't practice

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I guess I have to go for a couple of run, then.

3000m run
    Points Men Women
    6,0 - 09:30 - 10:45 minutes
    5,5 - 10:00 - 11:20
    5,0 - 10:40 - 11:55
    4,5 - 11:15 - 12:30
    4,0 - 12:00 - 13:05
    3,5 - 12:30 - 13:30
    3,0 - 13:00 - 14:00
    2,5 - 13:30 - 14:30
    2,0 - 14:00 - 15:00
    1,5 - 15:30 - 16:30