Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat adapted different from keto-adapted? page

jtrain_36 is offline Member

Fat adapted different from keto-adapted?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I've been following the Paleo diet about 85-90 percent of the time for about a year now, but just recently started to experiment with ketosis. I'm about a week in as of today, and all weekend I had a lightheaded feeling while occasionally having a pretty bad headache.

Now I know I'm fat adapted as I can go a while between meals, I once fasted for 72 hours and didn't have any problems. So my question is: is being adapted to ketosis different from simply being adapted to burning fat?

Thanks,
    JT

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that ketosis is the state of burning fat instead of carbs/sugar for fuel.

Being fat-adapted means you can switch easily between both fuels. From sugar, to fat, back to sugar, back to fat.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    they are completely different. ketosis is a state that occurs when you burn fat in the absence of carbohydrate. normally you use glucose to burn fat (called beta oxidation). if you burn it without glucose, ketones are produced as a byproduct and appear in your blood and urine. you can use them as fuel for your brain and other tissues, but must adapt to it.

to be clear, i think that ketosis offers no metabolic advantage, and seems to be shrouded in excessive mythos. but i hope it gets you where you hope to go!
    Last edited by jakey; 09-17-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    they are completely different. ketosis is a state that occurs when you burn fat in the absence of carbohydrate. normally you use glucose to burn fat (called beta oxidation). if you burn it without glucose, ketones are produced as a byproduct and appear in your blood and urine. you can use them as fuel for your brain and other tissues, but must adapt to it.

to be clear, i think that ketosis offers no metabolic advantage, and seems to be shrouded in excessive mythos. but i hope it gets you where you hope to go!
    Thank you, its been about a week and since I don't take measurements and just go by how I look and feel I'm not sure if it's helping per se, but it looks like it is. That could be psychological as well.

Anyway, this is the information I was looking for. I knew I could burn fat for fuel, but now my body must be adapting to burning ketones. It's wild how adaptive and varied the human body is!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that ketosis is the state of burning fat instead of carbs/sugar for fuel.

Being fat-adapted means you can switch easily between both fuels. From sugar, to fat, back to sugar, back to fat.
    This is it in a nutshell.^^^^ Fat adapted is what Mark calls being a Fat Burning Beast (do a search on that term. good MDA post)

Ketosis does cause your body to shed excess water weight and along with it a lot of electrolytes can get flushed (literally) out. The reason you are having headaches is probably some combination of dehydration and lack of salt.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    In my opinion, ketosis is one of the most effective and most efficient ways to lose weight and cut body-fat. However, it is not the only way to do so. People have done it on a CW diet (although much slower and with more exercise I'm sure).

Being fat-adapted means your body can utilize both ketones and sugar as energy. You want to be fat adapted rather than ketone-adapted. Ketone-adapted means your body is so used to utilizing ketones that it might have trouble utilizing sugars should they be reintroduced in significant enough quantity.

On the other hand, sugar-adapted isn't optimal either, because it means your body will have difficulty producing energy if for whatever reason, they drop out of your diet. This is why some people find that eating a CW diet and fasting is so hard for them. Is it any wonder people say fasting is much easier once making the transition to a primal diet?

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    I'm about a week in as of today, and all weekend I had a lightheaded feeling while occasionally having a pretty bad headache.
    Have you increased your salt intake?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    Have you increased your salt intake?
    Well I haven't increased it no, but it wasn't exactly low to begin with. Breakfast usually is almost always some form of eggs and bacon and I always add salt on top of that, so I don't think salt is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Being fat-adapted means your body can utilize both ketones and sugar as energy. You want to be fat adapted rather than ketone-adapted. Ketone-adapted means your body is so used to utilizing ketones that it might have trouble utilizing sugars should they be reintroduced in significant enough quantity.
    When one is simply fat adapted, say eating 100g of carbs a day, are they burning ketones? Or at this point is it simply burning dietary fat?

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrain_36 View Post
    When one is simply fat adapted, say eating 100g of carbs a day, are they burning ketones? Or at this point is it simply burning dietary fat?
    Probably just the dietary fat at that point. Excepting days of higher physical activity levels, where you might hit ketosis. But just the fact that you are fat-adapted means you can do this to begin with. If you weren't, your body would be stuck to burning glycogen which was made from converting protein in muscles to glucose. Not good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast