Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Drink Alternatives page

Navy87Guy is offline Junior Member

Primal Drink Alternatives

Primal Fuel
    Okay, so a week into the Primal Challenge and it's going pretty well. I feel better, I'm losing some weight and I don't have the cravings I expected for the grains and starches.

The one challenge, though, is something "interesting" to drink. I switched from coffee to green tea (the only way I can drink coffee is heavily doctored with creamer and Equal) and I gave up diet soda. (I used to drink 24-28 oz per day of Diet Mtn Dew). I've been drinking lots of water, but it's, frankly, boring.

Besides unsweetened iced tea, what are some of the other drinks that work for you in your Primal lifestyle? I'm just looking for something with a little flavor and variety -- but none of the nasty chemicals and other junk that go into the "flavor enhancers" that are on the market.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jim

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I just recently decided to re-try sparkling water. I have had to acquire a taste for it, but at least you get the fizz. Throw in some lime or get the naturally flavored. I miss my diet soda, but this is an okay replacement.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

amyb is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy87Guy View Post
    Okay, so a week into the Primal Challenge and it's going pretty well. I feel better, I'm losing some weight and I don't have the cravings I expected for the grains and starches.

The one challenge, though, is something "interesting" to drink. I switched from coffee to green tea (the only way I can drink coffee is heavily doctored with creamer and Equal) and I gave up diet soda. (I used to drink 24-28 oz per day of Diet Mtn Dew). I've been drinking lots of water, but it's, frankly, boring.

Besides unsweetened iced tea, what are some of the other drinks that work for you in your Primal lifestyle? I'm just looking for something with a little flavor and variety -- but none of the nasty chemicals and other junk that go into the "flavor enhancers" that are on the market.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jim
    I like to throw frozen strawberries or fresh limes in my water. Gives it some flavor and makes me drink it faster.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I drink pellegrino with a little bit of fruit juice. Ice tea with lemon. I also have a thing for diet Mt. Dew lately, so I do have 1 or two per week. It's not the best thing in the world, but I'm not too worried about it. My diet sodas and the oils that are in some of the foods I eat are the last things that I still have to overhaul... it's a process. Oh I also drink coffee with half and half and I use a Stevia packet sometimes too.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Some people use artificial sweeteners. Also, half and half (or cream) gives the same mouth feel to coffee as nondairy creamers. And some people put coconut products in their coffee. I've actually upped my coffee intake after reading at the Bulletproof website. (Organic beans, half and half, and sometimes organic/grassfed butter.) Personally, I'd rather have my pinky toe removed than give up coffee, but that's just me.

I'm pretty happy with just water and coffee, but others have some good suggestions for more variety.

Also, if you go over to the blog and search artificial sweeteners, you might get some idea of Mark's position.

Don't let this one thing derail you! You're doing great.

Ottawa is offline Junior Member
    We definitely do carbonated water plus lemon/lime juice and frozen berries
    You can also buy natural orange extract to get a flavoured seltzer

For whatever reason, I find ice water to be more enjoyable than just water.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I myself am big on teas, but I went through this conversation yesterday with my mom, she is struggling with the same issue I was struggling for a couple of years now. We were condition to drink tea 'with something'. She also said she can't take lemon, it irritates her gums. And she loves to re-hydrate after her evening swim.

So, I advised mom, who is making her first bread-free steps (we are starting slow), to:

-drink tea chilled and from a bottle not a cup
    -try coconut water - mom is super active, so I think she can take the carbs

at that point I arrived at impasse. We hated kombucha back when it was ll the rage in the 80'ies in Moscow. She has kefir once in a while or a smoothie, but it is more of a meal than a drink to us.

I am actually thinking that having a tincture from berries or apples will be good for her (chop and pour boiling water over, let sit for a while).

And then I hit the wall. I keep trying to think of any herbs she might want to raise in her garden, and just luck education here. I should check out a book or something.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

waterjen is offline Member
    I like to add lemon to any water I drink that's not filtered, such as out in restaurants. I think it makes it taste a little bit better... During the hot hot summer, adding cucumber slices to cold water also gives it a nice flavor and seems to make me view the water as a little more refreshing.

Soda water/seltzer/sparkling water plus a squeeze of citrus is a nice treat -- but I do keep it a treat -- only one or two a week. In my juice-drinking days I liked to dilute the juice and give it a little pep by mixing it 1:1 with soda water. Also, when I gave up Diet Coke years ago, soda water became my base for any adult drinks I might have.

Unsweetened but iced herbal teas -- think peppermint, hibiscus, etc.

Unsweetened regular iced tea. With or without lemon or a squirt of juice as a bit of added flavor.

Coffee (despite the enthusiasm here for putting butter or coconut oil in it, I still drink mine black with the philosophy that if it doesn't taste nice straight, then I shouldn't be drinking it). Every once in a while, though, I do splurge and enjoy a coffee float: warm but not hot coffee and a scoop of best vanilla or coffee-flavored ice cream. The coffee should be warm enough to melt the ice cream a little but leave the scoop mostly intact.

Herbal tea in the evening before bed: chamomile, peppermint, anything without caffeine.

Kombucha. Because of the expense (a bottle retail might run $4), I keep it as a treat, but this is one of the things I will experiment with making on my own by Thanksgiving.

Bone broth. Every time I make a batch, I have a cup or two for brekkie. I leave the rest for making soups. I'd like to get to the point where I make bone broth more than once a week, but I don't know if I could handle that much soup. It's still hot out! But a cup of bone broth in the morning is an excellent way to start the day. I can imagine it as a nice pick-me-up mid-day once fall acts like it's finally on its way. I'm convinced that I will make it through the fall/winter/spring without so much as a cold if I go into it armed daily with this "Jewish penicillin"!

Lemon smoothie. One whole lemon, peeled (but pith remaining) and quartered (leave the seeds in). Puree in your VitaMix with a little water until the lemon is super smooth. Add a squirt of honey or stevia or a few dates, or whatever your sugar choice is, to taste and some ice. Blend again to smoothie consistency. It's amazingly hydrating on a hot Houston summer day. I've tried with grapefruit, which was only OK, and also lime, which I enjoyed a bit more. Never tried with orange.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    When I was pregnant I developed an aversion to water, which is funny because I usually drink it like a fish! So I would always carry around a liter bottle and fill it with water, lemon juice and stevia. I know it's not ideal to totally lean on stevia while transitioning to primal, but maybe it will help you, OP.
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

phigment is offline Senior Member
    it has to be ice cold but cucumber slices in water is quite refreshing. Frozen blueberries with crushed mint is also good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast