Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Forget SAD, get MAD. Developing a Mongolian-American Diet! page 5

Khainag is offline Member
    I haven't posted on here much but have been back around the forums posting randomly, so quick update.

Been feeling pretty good, it seems like if I get a FODMAP-y type issue I just need to be careful for a couple of days and it sorts itself out. I'm trying to get more carbs in though too to keep energy up; I'm also afraid I lost some muscle mass with that month or so long struggle with IBS which included FODMAPs to sort things out -- which ended up with me being pretty VLC. Additionally, the winter squash season ended in Feb or so for the most part and I was getting most of my carbs from there!

I ate some potato last night and it was really weird . Will keep working on this though! Going to stock up on beets and green beans besides the usual carrots and turnips at the store today and can't wait for the summer squashes.

PrimalInAsia is offline Junior Member
    Khainag I hope you are well!! When I had IBS-like issues going back a few years, I was also recommended a low fodmap diet. However, low fiber is usually also recommended ( I see you will be eating lots of green beans? They might cause issues with their fibrousness!) I wish you the best on this journey, keep it up!

Thanks! Yeah I'm doing good, and though I haven't had many green beans I seem to be doing much better all around with the IBS. Just trying to get some toenail stuff taken care of now! Coconut oil seems to be working but will take some more time to tell.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Hi Khainag,

Do you eat white rice? I know it's not "primal", but being FODMAP sensitive myself, I find that I tolerate it really well and that a diet pretty sufficient in the stuff has increased my health over a diet that's VLC due to my inability to digest other carbs.

Hey ombat, thanks for your input, encourages me to experiment some more...

I've had some unpleasantness after eating rice a couple of times in the last few months, but I'm not sure if it was the rice's fault or not. (Sushi and then ice cream when I was still in the thick of IBS, and then pineapple rice after flying all day). I don't make it at home because I'm lazy more or less I guess, and I'd rather just eat more of the "stuff" people usually serve on rice, like curry or whatever. I have been eating potatoes some, especially sweet potatoes, so I don't go too LVC which makes me really uncomfortable, for example cold hands and feet.

In Mongolia, I never have more than like a shot glass sized portion of rice served as one of several sides. To make it as colorful as the salads/fries with dill on top, they add a bit of ketchup!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khainag View Post
    In Mongolia, I never have more than like a shot glass sized portion of rice served as one of several sides. To make it as colorful as the salads/fries with dill on top, they add a bit of ketchup!
    LOL - that's interesting. Funny the things other cultures put together. As a note, I haven't had ketchup in my fridge since 1974 when Congress declared that it was a vegetable for the purpose of school lunches. Old hippies never die, they just boycott shit.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

http://www.gesa.org.au/files/editor_...ODMAP_Diet.pdf

I don't know if I posted this before or not, but I think it's about the best free info on FODMAP out there. The toughest thing to avoid is onion/garlic, but I didn't have to cut it out completely, just tone it down and things heal up I guess. Same with yogurt. I haven't tried having milk tea (Mongolian style -- boiled full fat milk with a bit of stems n' seeds off a brick or tea bag) for a long time either but I should give that a go again.

I'd say it's a safe bet that it was the other stuff, not the rice. If you feel like you're getting enough carbs from potatoes and not having digestive upsets, then of course stick with that. But I'd give the rice another go if you're ever desperate and and in need of some glucose. And you might want to just make it at home - it's pretty hassle free as far as "cooking" goes.

Ketchup on rice? That's interesting... but definitely colorful

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Khainag View Post
    http://www.gesa.org.au/files/editor_...ODMAP_Diet.pdf

I don't know if I posted this before or not, but I think it's about the best free info on FODMAP out there. The toughest thing to avoid is onion/garlic, but I didn't have to cut it out completely, just tone it down and things heal up I guess. Same with yogurt. I haven't tried having milk tea (Mongolian style -- boiled full fat milk with a bit of stems n' seeds off a brick or tea bag) for a long time either but I should give that a go again.
    That is a great link! I also like this one because it's also paleo.

Yes, a lot of it is dose sensitive! For instance, I can have a meal with a bit of well cooked onion, but if I eat that same meal again later that day, I'm in pain.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast