Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Forget SAD, get MAD. Developing a Mongolian-American Diet! page 4

Khainag is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Bison Chili still seems good... but last night again had some serious serious pain and gas post-sushi dinner. Pain was relieved when lying down so was able to sleep well. Avoiding soy for now...
    SAD makes me MAD (a journal about Mongolian food and living with mullings on struggles with GERD, IBS and acne)http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66073.html

SORRY FOR SO MANY HEALTH ISSUE POSTS... hopefully this will be the last for awhile...

Just had an excellent visit to the gastroenterologist; he seems pretty satisfied that I don't show signs of inflammatory bowel stuff which is a big relief, and the gallbladder thing is probably a fold I can check in 6 months. He was more than down with the diet/IBS/etc. connections, didn't try to get me to eat grains or less "fatty meat" (did not treat me like a freak after my description of the Mongolian diet). Recommended I play with FODMAPS, and said that yeah I could still be adjusting to all this "bad American" food (that I mostly don't eat ). Feeling good about American health care, which doesn't happen all that much.

Pondering an autoimmune protocol or FODMAPS or SCD... or maybe eat just Mongolian style for a week and slowly add stuff that is primal and I like but my body didn't see for about a year and a half? (leafy vegetables, coconut, avocado, etc.)
    SAD makes me MAD (a journal about Mongolian food and living with mullings on struggles with GERD, IBS and acne)http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66073.html

It's been really stressful having these symptoms, and I'm thinking now that that is a huge component and I shouldn't restrict my self too much if it ends up resulting in more stress-- which definitely gave me GI issues as a kid. I also burned my hand the other day so wasn't able to cook and partner has been busy, adding more stress, but should be ready tomorrow to cook again.

Seem to have got the bloating down but having acid reflux issues. Decided to go easy on FODMAPS at least but probably not cut out completely and make some fresh chicken broth later on... Just had some lettuce, cranberries, and almond crusting (salad and salmon) and doing pretty well after about an hour. Also got alot of good work done this morning!

still having GERD issues, but after reading around more, esp. on Kressler's site (Heartburn / GERD) may try very low carb for a couple of days (A Very Low-Carbohydrate Diet Improves Gastroesophageal Reflux and Its Symptoms - Springer). And still need to make my bone broth!

seem to be getting better after two days of VLC (about 20 g of carb per day). Also this morning did alot of work and wasn't stressed out, probably helped alot! Licorice tea as well.

vintageeats is offline Member
    Hi Khainag,

I loved reading your journal! I had a similar experience while studying for my master's in Belarus - skinniest and probably the healthiest I've ever been. The food is just really good. Giving up bread here in the States isn't hard, but Eastern European bread is the best I've had. I ate a lot of grechka too, but all was always served with a healthy dose of fat (salo). We used to have the loveliest breakfasts of boiled potatoes, pickled or fried wild mushrooms, and salo. Now I'm back Stateside (Wisconsin) and learning to cook Georgian food for variety :-)

Oy, now I'm nostalgic. Will revisit soon and send you a friend request, if you don't mind.

Jen

Hi Jen, thanks for the reply and sharing your experiences!!!

Yeah Eastern European bread is way way better. Actually I have a Bulgarian friend who started up these "bread houses" where people get together in their neighborhood and make bread together. She had some after her PhD defense a few months ago and it was pretty amazing -- but like a dessert, not something to eat all the time .

I love salo!!! I will have to find some source here, haven't thought about it. People used to stop in Erdenet from the capital of Mongolia to stock up too, and Mongolians pretty categorically hate pork anything! Have you gone to any of the Russian stores in Wisconsin? I used to live in southeast Wisconsin and went to this one in Milwaukee down by Marquette a few times. I think they got salo...

Georgian food, good idea. I've been avoiding eggplants for awhile but I think I've established that nightshades aren't an issue... will have to try something. Maybe a katchapuri without bread? Any good breadless/legumeless Georgian recipes to share???

vintageeats is offline Member
    I HAVE SALO IN MY FRIDGE. Well, uncured. But huge hunks of pork fat that I can just fry. About a month ago, I pulsed a pound or so in the food processor and rendered it, leaving behind these crispy bits that were awesome on salad!

Yes, I have gone to the Russian store here - there's one in Shorewood and another over by UWM. Not sure where the one is by Marquette? Will have to check it out. I don't love buying meat at the Russian stores because I'm fairly certain that everything is industrially raised and processed far away. But, making Russian food at home isn't very hard. Not much to it besides coating everything in a healthy dose of fat/sour cream/mayonnaise :-) As we get closer to summer, I hope to bust out some recipes from my Russian arsenal, as they are incredibly seasonal. Now, if only I could get ahold of some nettles for a Springtime soup.. We also have a couple of great Middle Eastern stores here that are good for lamb. Mm, lamb.

On the subject of Georgian food, I highly, highly recommend Darra Goldstein's book, The Georgian Feast. You'll notice that many of the recipes are Primal or can be Primalized quite easily. I don't normally follow recipes to the letter, but hers were very good and the combinations are outside of my normal cooking regimen. There *are* quite a lot of nightshades involved, though - not sure how to get around that. Also, about a month ago I posted a recipe for Georgian sausage. I think you'll be able to find it by searching my profile.

I am still going through your Mongolian diary, but already, so much is familiar to me. I used to have a lot of trouble with acne, until I got treated in Belarus. God knows what they did to my face. I think it involved some sort of motor oil.. In any case, when I eat this way, I notice that I break out far less frequently than when there is sugar and flour clogging up my body. Also familar was the feeling that, when at someone's house, you should eat what they serve you (unless they ask what you'd prefer).

Anyway, I read an interesting article last night and thought to pass it on to you. It's about a Russian family of Old Believers who, just before WWII, ran away to the wilderness of Siberia so that they could practice their religion without being persecuted. Not hugely related to Primal eating (they lived on small amounts of grains and foraging, sometimes hunting), but a very intriguing look into folks who didn't like the direction the world was going and decided to check out: For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII | History & Archaeology | Smithsonian Magazine

Be well and talk soon,
    Jen

Re: Siberian Old Believers

КУЛЬТУ*А АЛТАЯ: СТА*ОВЕ*Ы / CULTURE OF ALTAI: Old Believers - YouTube

Thanks for the feedback on salo and Georgian food! Yeah I had that issue from time to time... pretty fascinating time to transition to "primal" as it made me realize how different Russian food processing is!!! I actually used to get these Belarussian cookies, from the "Spartak" company that had like 60 grams of sugar for a small pack of wafers! There's also this whole "bez GMO" thing going on with Russian products that I think is to a large degree about supporting Russian/Soviet products and not Coke, Nestle, etc. ...

I should write some entries on that stuff. Also, yeah more on dairy. My system seems pretty shocked by American (grassfed) dairy, don't know if it's the different casein or what.

Mike Mew BDS, MSc

British orthodonist on facial deformation studied by Weston Price... it's about hardness of food he argues.

Mongolians are constantly saying how aaruul (dried curds) are excellent for tooth health. Foreigners complain they are rock hard! (Indeed, too hard for one of my composite fillings ).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast