Thread: Side Effects: Sleep / Headaches page

Chorlton is offline Member

Question Side Effects: Sleep / Headaches

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

Im just starting day 5 of going primal. Mostly it's going well but I have 2 things going on that I'd like to get your thoughts on:

1. I go to bed at 10pm but am waking around 3 (or even earlier) feeling fully refreshed and ready to go but then finding it hard to sleep again. Typically it's on/off the rest of the night till around 6am. This is not enough as I have gritty eyes and feel very tired all day!

2. I have a headache in the morning. I does tend to go after I have breakfast around 10am (i do 16hr IF) with coffee but I'm not convinced it's simply a caffeine thing.

Help most appreciated!

NZ primal Gwamma is online now Senior Member
    Chorlton, brilliant that you have begun !!!!!
    I am sure that things will get better, as the toxins flush from your body. Go with it, and maybe read for a little while during your waking hours ?
    Headaches, rub a little bit of peppermint oil on the back of your neck, but do not....DO NOT then rub any orafice on your body. Wash your hands, cos if this stuff gets into your eyes, or any other orafice - it stings beyond reason !!!!!!!
    After writting all this thou, it is great thinking back to my carb flu days. I remember this time fondly because I was ridding my body of toxins, which IS the aim of the game !!!!!!!

good luck
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

After writting all this thou, it is great thinking back to my carb flu days. I remember this time fondly because I was ridding my body of toxins, which IS the aim of the game !!!!!!!
    Carb flu? For some years now I have had sneezes and flu/cold like symptoms most days, but particularly the day after any kind of real exercise. Is this the same thing?

Re detox: Is that what this could be? I did a 3 day water fast a month back and felt dreadful on day 2 and 3. Quite similar to this now that I think about it...

thx for the tip re peppermint oil!

It could be carb flu ???? If you start to feel better after a week... or dare I say it 2... then it possibly is carb flu. Some people experience headaches, body aches, shakes, brain fuzz etc.... and I think it is just the system flushing all the crap out, but time will tell !
    Good luck, especially with the sleeping. I cannot believe how much I am now enjoying a good night sleep, after years of wakefulness and intermitent sleep

...small steps....

Pollyanna12 is offline Member
    A lot of morning headaches are due to dehydration. You could try starting the day with a large glass of water and see if that helps. (I also get morning headaches, and this helps me a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by Pollyanna12 View Post
    A lot of morning headaches are due to dehydration. You could try starting the day with a large glass of water and see if that helps. (I also get morning headaches, and this helps me a lot).
    I will, thanks!

This afternoon I did a gentle half hour swim and I have been really dizzy / nauseas since. Would it be a good idea to eat some more non starchy carbs like fruit / carrots / brocolli etc to balance this or will it just make the transition to fat burning take even longer?

PrimalCon New York
    Non starchy carbs never hurt any of us. Too many or not the correct ratios might stall weight loss, but it never hurt us, so yes give it a go. And I agree with above, you need to keep your water up.
    Be very careful if you are dizzy/feeling sick. Wait until it passes before you drive etc...
    Good luck

...small steps....