Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Paleo nothing more than Atkins Diet reborn ????

Hybrid View

Question Is Paleo nothing more than Atkins Diet reborn ????

Sure seems to me the whole Paleo movement is nothing more than Atkins Diet reborn again...?? Unless I'm missing something?? Atkins preached high protien with hefty healthy fats and low to no carbs. So why is Paleo better or more advanced than Atkins?? Just wondering - thanks

It's very different. This isn't low carb. And doesn't atkins sell "low carb bars" blegh
    well then

Its very different. Paleo is a pretty broad term nowadays. Many different versions, many different people structuring different diets. Some of us do VLC like, 60 grams. I've met people on here that are consuming as many as 300 grams of carbohydrate a day...yikes! Although primal is geared more towards low carbs, for example I started on Loren Cordain's paleo diet. I wasn't told to count carbs or calories but rather to eat all I wanted
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Atkins included a lot of processed options.

Plus, yeah, there is no limit on carbs on Primal unless you are trying for weight loss. Even then it's not really "required". It probably just seems VLC because so many people that post here really cut the carbs and aim for ketosis.

So yeah, it's just like Atkins except no processed foods, and you are welcome to eat as many non grain, whole carbs as you want.

In addition paleo/primal is about more than food: sleep, exercise, play, are all part of it. Atkins is a great gateway, though; plenty of people come to paleo/primal through good old Atkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    In addition paleo/primal is about more than food: sleep, exercise, play, are all part of it. Atkins is a great gateway, though; plenty of people come to paleo/primal through good old Atkins.
    You're right! I had some moderate success with Atkins years ago; it would have been better, but my husband at the time cheated on the diet pretty heavy every weekend, and that kind of temptation is sometimes hard to say no to. After one of those cheat weekends, we never really stopped. We resumed our previous way of living it up. We ultimately split, and I eventually went vegetarian (no cause and effect here). But being veg for health reasons, I never really felt healthier, just more difficult to go out to eat with. I got tired one day of banging my head against the feel-like-crap-all-the-time wall and tried to figure out what I should try to stop eating and start eating. I reflected that Atkins had been an "easy" way to lose weight, but I remember being concerned about all the substitute foods on offer (low-carb flour and snack bars and such) and the lack of emphasis on fruit and veg. A little research beyond that led me right to primal/paleo.
    I have lost 15 pounds (without much in the way of added exercise beyond the 4 miles a day walking that's already in my daily regimen) and feel much healthier. I'm not hungry all the time (as I always was in my veg-head days). Like one poster said, we all follow our own interpretation of paleo. My paleo list of foods right now excludes dairy (I pretty much OD'd on cheese while I was a veg) but I may try introducing raw dairy once I've reached my goal weight and have a suitable source for such.
    Last edited by waterjen; 09-17-2012 at 09:05 AM.

One other thought -- my emphasis has been on diet because that's what has been least healthy about me. One of the other posters was right about there being 10 primal laws:
    1. Eat plants and animals
    2. Avoid poisonous things
    3. Move frequently at a slow pace
    4. Lift heavy things
    5. Sprint once in a while
    6. Get adequate sleep
    7. Play
    8. Get adequate sunlight
    9. Avoid stupid mistakes
    10. Use your brain

My focus has been on #1 and #2 on this list, because that's where I needed the most help. I move frequently at a slow pace (usually nice 4-mile walk with the dog, sometimes shorter but more strenuous hikes on the weekend). I already get adequate sleep. I play. I get sunlight. I try like hell to avoid stupid mistakes. I use my brain. That just leaves LHT, which I do a little of, and sprint, which I have to commit to at some point.
    My point here is that many people may be here for all 10 reasons, but may be focusing on different points that will make the biggest difference to them immediately, sort of a tunnel-vision perspective, if you will. Perhaps they already have certain habits, so they may not even think about the fact that they're following a primal blueprint law by getting adequate sleep or sprinting. As a second nature behavior, they wouldn't necessarily think about it. For example, I automatically don't steal, which comes from a different set of commandments, but I don't think every night when I go to bed that I've not stolen something that day. So I move and get sun and don't really think about the fact that I'm meeting two commandments of the primal blueprint. It's just second nature. But avoiding poisons is still newish to me, as is eating bacon (happily enough), so those are the areas where I tend to concentrate.

The "real" Atkins program was about food, actual food. When they started making products it got all out of line (IMHO, of course). If you read the book, or maybe the older version of the book, there are no references to processed stuff at all. It is all about vegetables, meat, fat from butter or avocado or olive oil.

I do see difference between Atkins and primal, for certain, particularly what Sabine pointed out. But it is an unfortunate conclusion that the Atkins diet and the Atkins processed junk are the same thing.

Just my defensive 2 cents...Atkins did a world of good for me about 12 years ago.

Did Atkins come up with the low carb food products? I think that is the #1 thing that makes "life style" type diets ineffective- when they start faking what you are not allowed to eat. Like I bet low fat was effective before "snackwells" and 9,876 other calorie laden low fat snacks.

I feel like that is why Primal works for me. There is no "primal approved cookies" and "Primal Ice Cream".

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Did Atkins come up with the low carb food products? I think that is the #1 thing that makes "life style" type diets ineffective- when they start faking what you are not allowed to eat.
    I agree 100%! Well said.