Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Paleo nothing more than Atkins Diet reborn ???? page

bustamove is offline Junior Member

Question Is Paleo nothing more than Atkins Diet reborn ????

Sure seems to me the whole Paleo movement is nothing more than Atkins Diet reborn again...?? Unless I'm missing something?? Atkins preached high protien with hefty healthy fats and low to no carbs. So why is Paleo better or more advanced than Atkins?? Just wondering - thanks

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    It's very different. This isn't low carb. And doesn't atkins sell "low carb bars" blegh
    well then

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Its very different. Paleo is a pretty broad term nowadays. Many different versions, many different people structuring different diets. Some of us do VLC like, 60 grams. I've met people on here that are consuming as many as 300 grams of carbohydrate a day...yikes! Although primal is geared more towards low carbs, for example I started on Loren Cordain's paleo diet. I wasn't told to count carbs or calories but rather to eat all I wanted
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Atkins included a lot of processed options.

Plus, yeah, there is no limit on carbs on Primal unless you are trying for weight loss. Even then it's not really "required". It probably just seems VLC because so many people that post here really cut the carbs and aim for ketosis.

So yeah, it's just like Atkins except no processed foods, and you are welcome to eat as many non grain, whole carbs as you want.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    In addition paleo/primal is about more than food: sleep, exercise, play, are all part of it. Atkins is a great gateway, though; plenty of people come to paleo/primal through good old Atkins.

pamola10 is offline Member
    The "real" Atkins program was about food, actual food. When they started making products it got all out of line (IMHO, of course). If you read the book, or maybe the older version of the book, there are no references to processed stuff at all. It is all about vegetables, meat, fat from butter or avocado or olive oil.

I do see difference between Atkins and primal, for certain, particularly what Sabine pointed out. But it is an unfortunate conclusion that the Atkins diet and the Atkins processed junk are the same thing.

Just my defensive 2 cents...Atkins did a world of good for me about 12 years ago.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Did Atkins come up with the low carb food products? I think that is the #1 thing that makes "life style" type diets ineffective- when they start faking what you are not allowed to eat. Like I bet low fat was effective before "snackwells" and 9,876 other calorie laden low fat snacks.

I feel like that is why Primal works for me. There is no "primal approved cookies" and "Primal Ice Cream".

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal is low carb for some and not as low carb for others ...depends on your goals. Atkins didn't focus on the right fats like primal does, as I recall. When I did Atkins years and years ago I didn't know that vegetable oils were bad for you. Atkins does have a lot of processed foods, but from what I've heard those came about after the death of Mr. Atkins.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Did Atkins come up with the low carb food products? I think that is the #1 thing that makes "life style" type diets ineffective- when they start faking what you are not allowed to eat.
    I agree 100%! Well said.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Also, paleo-type diets are often adopted for reasons other than weight loss. Many of us have seen big health improvements by focusing on real, whole foods, regardless of whether we wanted to lose weight, maintain it, or even gain it (not everyone on paleo is trying to get thin).

Atkins is about macros. Paleo is at its heart about real food, although certain variants may espouse low carb while others are macronutrient agnostic or may even encourage being careful about fat (as in the case of Cordain's earlier work that emphasized lean meats).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast