Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Is Paleo nothing more than Atkins Diet reborn ???? page 6

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I looked at an Atkins forum last night and they're on diet soda and all kinds of junk. But my guess is no, they did not read the book before asking this question because if they had we wouldn't be having this conversation
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Timthetaco is offline Senior Member
    But I'm sure they're all having the same discussions about ketosis and high blood glucose/insulin being the devil, just like we are. For the average person who does an internet search for Paleo, they'll find a pretty remarkable overlap between this and Atkins, which is I'm sure why this person is confused. And what are some of the more commonly provided links for further research/understanding into a paleo lifestyle? Westman, Phinney and Volek, people who recommend high fat, moderate protein and low GI carbohydrates, an induction-level ketogenic diet by design. And what else did they write?

New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great.: Eric C. Westman,Stephen D. Phinney,Jeff S. Volek: 9781439190272: Amazon.com: Books

[removed; I'll leave Dr. Bernstein out of this]

Some in the paleosphere can't seem to get out of induction. Just because it's pasture raised and full of vitamin K doesn't make it any less Atkins, especially when the explanations for how both diets work (given from the respective dieters) are practically identical. Only difference is we have Grok.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 09-18-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Why is there a negative stigma around the Atkins diet? You ask "Is it like Atkins??" as if that would tarnish the paleo diet.
    I too wonder about that. No one on Atkins has to drink diet soda or eat low-carb candy. I guess an Atkins person could argue over Primal's 80/20 the same way.

Anyway, I came here through Atkins, because I feel that the PB puts a lot of emphasis on fitness and living as close to nature as possible. My diet is not any different than before.

ETA. I suppose some of the stigma comes from the misconception that Atkins is VLC all the time. It's not.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    From a perspective of n=1. Before I found Primal, I had been doing a lot of my own reading/research on regaining health using food. I had already given up corn and soy. I learned about GMOs. It had been years since I had bottles of oil in my home. I already knew that most "olive oil" in this country is a scam. I learned about BPAs. I even researched Veganism, though I knew in my heart that the best I could do from that perspective would be to be a Flexitarian.

None of my searches ever took me to anything Atkins related. My emphasis wasn't on losing weight, though at the time I still had a huge excess of fat on my body. My emphasis was on eating healthily, wholesomely, and intelligently. My search did take me to Primal.

So, if you're only looking to "lose weight," sure low carb is low carb. But if you're looking to be healthy and vital, and even to maybe regain or increase your zest for life, Atkins isn't it.

And while a grass fed cow may well be Atkins, a low carb energy bar with GMO grains and vegetable oils is certainly not Primal.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    But I'm sure they're all having the same discussions about ketosis and high blood glucose/insulin being the devil, just like we are. For the average person who does an internet search for Paleo, they'll find a pretty remarkable overlap between this and Atkins, which is I'm sure why this person is confused. And what are some of the more commonly provided links for further research/understanding into a paleo lifestyle? Westman, Phinney and Volek, people who recommend high fat, moderate protein and low GI carbohydrates, an induction-level ketogenic diet by design. And what else did they write?

New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great.: Eric C. Westman,Stephen D. Phinney,Jeff S. Volek: 9781439190272: Amazon.com: Books

[removed; I'll leave Dr. Bernstein out of this]

Some in the paleosphere can't seem to get out of induction. Just because it's pasture raised and full of vitamin K doesn't make it any less Atkins, especially when the explanations for how both diets work (given from the respective dieters) are practically identical. Only difference is we have Grok.
    The commonly referred links for learning about paleo around here are usually to read the PRIMAL BLUEPRINT for starters and also Loren Cordain and Robb Wolf if you want to know specifically about paleo. People only hand out links to Phinney and Volek when people ask specifically about low carb diets.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Not everyone who does Atkins eats junky frankenfoods. Of course, I first read the original '72 Atkins, and when I went low carb for weight loss several years ago, I followed his advice from memory--ignoring the later versions and all the bars, shakes, etc. I prefer healthy, whole foods and gradually eliminated all grains and dairy [did elimination diets for both and discovered I'm better off without them].

By the time I discovered Primal, the only change I had to make was to substitute almond butter for my organic peanut butter (my only 'treat'). I was already eating whole foods, mainly wild fish and grass-fed bison, organic veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Not everyone who does Atkins eats junky frankenfoods. Of course, I first read the original '72 Atkins, and when I went low carb for weight loss several years ago, I followed his advice from memory--ignoring the later versions and all the bars, shakes, etc. I prefer healthy, whole foods and gradually eliminated all grains and dairy [did elimination diets for both and discovered I'm better off without them].

By the time I discovered Primal, the only change I had to make was to substitute almond butter for my organic peanut butter (my only 'treat'). I was already eating whole foods, mainly wild fish and grass-fed bison, organic veggies.
    Nice I've always heard the original was more about healthy, whole foods. Then all the marketing scams came in. Personally I don't think peanut butter is that big of a deal if it's all natural, your body is still going to recognize it as pretty much the same thing. But hey if you can afford almond butter by all means it is still better
    Before and after pics
    Primal Sucess Story
    Primal Journal

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Low carb over a longer period of time actually f*&^s up your metabolism and you end up gaining weight, and more than before!
    Carbs upregulate your metabolism and actually tell your body to speed up.

I tested it myself for 1 year.

Fall 2011 I did a cold turkey and stopped drinking 2 gallons of raw goats milk + raw honey + 1-2 lbs of chestnuts + butternut squash. My carb intake was HUGE yet I was slim but 'lazy'. After ditching all the above not much carbs were left that I eat regularly. I dropped 10 lbs within 3 weeks even though I was already skinny. Now I was super slim and agile. Sprinting and running in general (which I hadn't done in year) was a joy and I moved effortlessly.

After about 3 months I noticed that I started to tear the kitchen apart, looking for something to kill cravings. I figured oh well a bit of rice here and there won't do any harm. I had already gained 3-4 lbs back from the initial 10 lbs I've lost...but once I added 2-3 servings of white rice every week to the mix I quickly had the pounds back on me.

So here I was 3-4 months later my body adjusted and I was back at my old weight of 140 lbs...but without the extreme high amount of carbs I ate before.

In march 2012 I introduced raw milk back to my diet and within 2 months I balooned up to 145 lbs...5 lbs more than the year before...and still way below the carb intake, too.
    Summer started and all the fruit started popping up. I got back into eating more fruit for the anti-oxidants and my weight kept going up even further.

It is now mid Sept 2012 and I weight 11 lbs more than Sept last year.

My body had slowed down to adjust to the lack of carbs. Also the new fat distribution is different than it was my entire life. The new fat I have on me is HARD as hell, really solid, all saturated! THAT, I like, but not the fact that I'm 10ish lbs heavier.

So this is what happens when you cut out carbs and go cold turkey for a long time...do an IF once in awhile or cut carbs for 3-5 days but no more....it taught me a lesson.
    I was 140lbs, lost 10 lbs when cutting carbs, slowly gained 10 lbs back over 3 months and when introduced carbs back to my diet gained another 10 lbs. So basically I've lost 10 and gained 20...

[QUOTE=Issabeau;956600]Low carb over a longer period of time actually f*&^s up your metabolism and you end up gaining weight, and more than before!
    Carbs upregulate your metabolism and actually tell your body to speed up. QUOTE]

What are your sources to back this up?? You apparently have none other than your own personal opinions. This is a very biased and ignorant comment. And if you think paleolithic man was eating large amounts of carbohydrate then your an idiot. Sounds like you have a food addiction to carbs and you apparently think white rice is your answer. Well paleolithic man certainly never ate white rice, or any grains or milk. although I don't think there is anything wrong with RAW milk as long as you keep up with your calories. which obviously you didn't you gained on a low carb diet. Dr. Greg Ellis has been doing a low carb diet since the 1980's and it certainly doesn't seem to affect him.

Here's a picture of him
    http://www.powerathletesmag.com/arch...ages/bio06.jpg
    Before and after pics
    Primal Sucess Story
    Primal Journal

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Not everyone reacts to carbohydrates the same way. Take this guy for instance; he is a vegan who eats hundreds of grams of carbs a day.

To quote you "it certainly doesn't seem to affect him."

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/profile_sitko_3.jpg

My point is, a picture of a single proof isn't anymore proof than a single piece of anecdotal evidence. Please don't call someone an idiot just because you disagree with them, and definitely don't do it and then take part in the same fallacy.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast