Thread: Gaining Weight - not losing it :( why???? page

bustamove is offline Junior Member

Question Gaining Weight - not losing it :( why????

Shop Now
    I've never been able to lose weight my entire life... you name it I"ve tried it. About a month ago I started to work with a Nutritionist who put me on a fairly high carb very low protien diet - roughly 1,100 calories a day. It took about 3 days and I lost 14.5 lbs ! Huge surpise to me. I've been on the Paleo diet as Mark outlines and following some of the tips from Dr Kruse... I'm GAINING weight !?! Seriously confused

Whats going on? does this whole paleo thing work?? Why would a high carb diet blast my fat off?

Frustrated

ozzy is offline Junior Member
    You would have to be more descriptive with your current eating habits but my best guess would say your high carb low fat low protein diet was predominately water weight/a little lean mass loss. As to why you are gaining weight PB style without hearing anything else I would take a guess that you are over indulging in good carbs...perhaps fruit. In higher amounts than 50-100 grams (just using the basic measurement in the book) you are in a "maintain weight" zone. Even higher than that you start to run into the gain weight zone. This is important because fat is still very calorie dense, and if your eating more carbs than you realize you could very easily still have elevated insulin levels, which will make your body store the incoming fat as opposed to using it for energy. More importantly, your body is not going to revert to your stored fat for fuel with elevated insulin levels. Also you may want to give it some more time. I hope that this helps a little

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Mark wrote a helpful post a long time ago:
    17 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight | Mark's Daily Apple

At the end of the day, it still comes down to calories. Switching to a diet that is higher in fat can lead to increased intake for some people. If you eat until your stomach volume tells you you are full on a high fat diet, you will almost certainly gain weight. It might take a while to pick up on the new satiety signals that tell you that you can stop eating. It might be helpful to log your food intake and track calories for a few days just to get an idea of what you're actually eating.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Because carbs aren't some magic macronutrient. VLC works for a lot of people because it controls hunger and helps with signalling satiety, but if you are consuming too many calories, it still won't make you miraculously thin. You likely lost because restricting to 1100 calories a day will make most people lose weight regardless of carb count, but it was probably not a very sustainable diet. Primal/paleo is often more comfortable for people, but it doesn't eliminate the need to watch what you eat. People can still gain weight on PB.

I'd suggest posting a couple of days of food intake and giving people an idea of your activity, sleep, and stress levels.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Because carbs aren't some magic macronutrient. VLC works for a lot of people because it controls hunger and helps with signalling satiety, but if you are consuming too many calories, it still won't make you miraculously thin. You likely lost because restricting to 1100 calories a day will make most people lose weight regardless of carb count, but it was probably not a very sustainable diet. Primal/paleo is often more comfortable for people, but it doesn't eliminate the need to watch what you eat. People can still gain weight on PB.

I'd suggest posting a couple of days of food intake and giving people an idea of your activity, sleep, and stress levels.
    eating the right amount of carbs is the difference between storing or burning body fat. in the end calories control everything. low carb is the best for controlling hunger and burning fat, that's a fact.
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444