Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Bladder infection and D-mannose... has anyone tried this? page

  1. #1
    Jena's Avatar
    Jena is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    501

    Bladder infection and D-mannose... has anyone tried this?

    Primal Fuel
    I have a bladder infection. It came on very suddenly and I am so incredibly uncomfortable! I left work and picked up some cranberry (100% cranberry, unsweetened) juice, lemon, and honey. I sweetened the juice with the honey and have been choking it down. I have been looking online and have seen some talk about the simple sugar D-mannose in powder form being used to treat uti and bladder infections. Has anyone tried this? Is takig the powder more effective than drinking this juice? (please say yes, lol) I really, really do not want to take antibiotics for this, but it is pretty unbearable! Any other suggestions? Thanks!
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

    My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

  2. #2
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    11,027
    Pick up some grapefruit seed extract. It's anti microbial, viral, fungal etc. so it's good for infections. I used it for a yeast infection. I recommend the capsules over the liquid form as it tastes pretty disgusting. Two high doses (maybe 250mg) per day and you should be okay within a day or two. Probiotics would be good to take too. Even your bladder has bacteria in it, and NEEDS it.

    I haven't heard of this D-mannose stuff, but Mercola's site shows that it has probiotics and cranberry extract. I think you could probably get cranberry extract in capsule form too, which would help avoid the excess fructose.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

  3. #3
    Jena's Avatar
    Jena is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    501
    I think I will go today and get both of those, thanks.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

    My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

  4. #4
    kkratz57's Avatar
    kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburban Philly
    Posts
    148
    Ha, I'm choking down some unsweetened cranberry juice as we speak! I typically gravitate towards natural remedies and I hate taking antibiotics. But this is one instance when I bite the bullet and go on the antibiotics. It's only a 5-day course, and I'll drink plenty of kombucha and/or take probiotics afterwards. I heard kidney infections are unbelievably unbearable, and I personally am not taking the chance of getting one.

    Hope you find some relief soon!!! Fortunately, I don't have any other symptoms but a little pressure and a low-grade fever.

  5. #5
    Jena's Avatar
    Jena is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by kkratz57 View Post
    Ha, I'm choking down some unsweetened cranberry juice as we speak! I typically gravitate towards natural remedies and I hate taking antibiotics. But this is one instance when I bite the bullet and go on the antibiotics. It's only a 5-day course, and I'll drink plenty of kombucha and/or take probiotics afterwards. I heard kidney infections are unbelievably unbearable, and I personally am not taking the chance of getting one.

    Hope you find some relief soon!!! Fortunately, I don't have any other symptoms but a little pressure and a low-grade fever.
    Feel better soon!!! I went to the health food store and got the D-Mannose and am taking a teaspoon in water every four hours. If its not considerably better by tomorrow morning I will go to the doctor. Ugh... and of course I am still choking down the cranberry juice :/
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

    My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

  6. #6
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    My wife had UTIs and bladder infections from Oct last year until last month...round after round of antibiotics. i got fed up and read about apple cider vinegar, we used Braggs--w/the mother. 1 TBS with 1TBS of honey mixed in a little hot water and gulped every night for about a month now. All clean. She can't believe it.

  7. #7
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,949
    D-Mannose. Yes. Getcha some!
    I don't know how effective it is on a UTI that is already REALLY entrenched, but if you take it as soon as you feel it hit that stuff is gold.

    I'm on a powerful medication that causes dehydration and changes the Ph of the urine (that's how it is supposed to work unfortunately) in a way that makes one prone to UTI's, and at first I was feeling the twinges of UTI's regularly and having trouble combating them. I started taking it at the start of a UTI at double the recommended dose, and have taken it daily since... and not one UTI has arisen in the time I have been taking it. Despite the fact that the med I'm on "causes" them in almost everyone who takes it.

    Give it a try. It can only help.
    Last edited by cori93437; 09-17-2012 at 03:24 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  8. #8
    Jena's Avatar
    Jena is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    My wife had UTIs and bladder infections from Oct last year until last month...round after round of antibiotics. i got fed up and read about apple cider vinegar, we used Braggs--w/the mother. 1 TBS with 1TBS of honey mixed in a little hot water and gulped every night for about a month now. All clean. She can't believe it.
    Wow! If I had to suffer this for a year I would be homicidal by now! Your wife is a toughie!! If this doesn't show improvements I will definitely give it a try. The D-Mannose seems to be working though... After only a few doses the pain is much better, so I am hoping this will get rid of it
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

    My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

  9. #9
    Jena's Avatar
    Jena is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    D-Mannose. Yes. Getcha some!
    I don't know how effective it is on a UTI that is already REALLY entrenched, but if you take it as soon as you feel it hit that stuff is gold.

    I'm on a powerful medication that causes dehydration and changes the Ph of the urine (that's how it is supposed to work unfortunately) in a way that makes one prone to UTI's, and at first I was feeling the twinges of UTI's regularly and having trouble combating them. I started taking it at the start of a UTI at double the recommended dose, and have taken it daily since... and not one UTI has arisen in the time I have been taking it. Despite the fact that the med I'm on "causes" them in almost everyone who takes it.

    Give it a try. It can only help.
    Lol... at $30 for the powder I sure hope it helps! I think it is. After I read about the different options, this one made the most sense to me. I took a lot of antibiotics as a child and young adult and the few that I am not allergic to don't seem to work that well on me anymore. One of my best friends is a pharmacist and even she questioned me about some of the things my doctor would do, so I try to be as natural as possible now. Good luck to you I am very happy that you found relief! Thanks
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

    My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

  10. #10
    Tracycoope's Avatar
    Tracycoope is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    7
    I heard kidney infections are unbelievably unbearable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •