Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bladder infection and D-mannose... has anyone tried this? page

Jena is offline Senior Member

Bladder infection and D-mannose... has anyone tried this?

Primal Fuel
    I have a bladder infection. It came on very suddenly and I am so incredibly uncomfortable! I left work and picked up some cranberry (100% cranberry, unsweetened) juice, lemon, and honey. I sweetened the juice with the honey and have been choking it down. I have been looking online and have seen some talk about the simple sugar D-mannose in powder form being used to treat uti and bladder infections. Has anyone tried this? Is takig the powder more effective than drinking this juice? (please say yes, lol) I really, really do not want to take antibiotics for this, but it is pretty unbearable! Any other suggestions? Thanks!
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Pick up some grapefruit seed extract. It's anti microbial, viral, fungal etc. so it's good for infections. I used it for a yeast infection. I recommend the capsules over the liquid form as it tastes pretty disgusting. Two high doses (maybe 250mg) per day and you should be okay within a day or two. Probiotics would be good to take too. Even your bladder has bacteria in it, and NEEDS it.

I haven't heard of this D-mannose stuff, but Mercola's site shows that it has probiotics and cranberry extract. I think you could probably get cranberry extract in capsule form too, which would help avoid the excess fructose.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I think I will go today and get both of those, thanks.

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    Ha, I'm choking down some unsweetened cranberry juice as we speak! I typically gravitate towards natural remedies and I hate taking antibiotics. But this is one instance when I bite the bullet and go on the antibiotics. It's only a 5-day course, and I'll drink plenty of kombucha and/or take probiotics afterwards. I heard kidney infections are unbelievably unbearable, and I personally am not taking the chance of getting one.

Hope you find some relief soon!!! Fortunately, I don't have any other symptoms but a little pressure and a low-grade fever.

Quote Originally Posted by kkratz57 View Post
    Ha, I'm choking down some unsweetened cranberry juice as we speak! I typically gravitate towards natural remedies and I hate taking antibiotics. But this is one instance when I bite the bullet and go on the antibiotics. It's only a 5-day course, and I'll drink plenty of kombucha and/or take probiotics afterwards. I heard kidney infections are unbelievably unbearable, and I personally am not taking the chance of getting one.

Hope you find some relief soon!!! Fortunately, I don't have any other symptoms but a little pressure and a low-grade fever.
    Feel better soon!!! I went to the health food store and got the D-Mannose and am taking a teaspoon in water every four hours. If its not considerably better by tomorrow morning I will go to the doctor. Ugh... and of course I am still choking down the cranberry juice :/

otzi Guest
    My wife had UTIs and bladder infections from Oct last year until last month...round after round of antibiotics. i got fed up and read about apple cider vinegar, we used Braggs--w/the mother. 1 TBS with 1TBS of honey mixed in a little hot water and gulped every night for about a month now. All clean. She can't believe it.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    D-Mannose. Yes. Getcha some!
    I don't know how effective it is on a UTI that is already REALLY entrenched, but if you take it as soon as you feel it hit that stuff is gold.

I'm on a powerful medication that causes dehydration and changes the Ph of the urine (that's how it is supposed to work unfortunately) in a way that makes one prone to UTI's, and at first I was feeling the twinges of UTI's regularly and having trouble combating them. I started taking it at the start of a UTI at double the recommended dose, and have taken it daily since... and not one UTI has arisen in the time I have been taking it. Despite the fact that the med I'm on "causes" them in almost everyone who takes it.

Give it a try. It can only help.
    Last edited by cori93437; 09-17-2012 at 03:24 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    My wife had UTIs and bladder infections from Oct last year until last month...round after round of antibiotics. i got fed up and read about apple cider vinegar, we used Braggs--w/the mother. 1 TBS with 1TBS of honey mixed in a little hot water and gulped every night for about a month now. All clean. She can't believe it.
    Wow! If I had to suffer this for a year I would be homicidal by now! Your wife is a toughie!! If this doesn't show improvements I will definitely give it a try. The D-Mannose seems to be working though... After only a few doses the pain is much better, so I am hoping this will get rid of it

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    D-Mannose. Yes. Getcha some!
    I don't know how effective it is on a UTI that is already REALLY entrenched, but if you take it as soon as you feel it hit that stuff is gold.

I'm on a powerful medication that causes dehydration and changes the Ph of the urine (that's how it is supposed to work unfortunately) in a way that makes one prone to UTI's, and at first I was feeling the twinges of UTI's regularly and having trouble combating them. I started taking it at the start of a UTI at double the recommended dose, and have taken it daily since... and not one UTI has arisen in the time I have been taking it. Despite the fact that the med I'm on "causes" them in almost everyone who takes it.

Give it a try. It can only help.
    Lol... at $30 for the powder I sure hope it helps! I think it is. After I read about the different options, this one made the most sense to me. I took a lot of antibiotics as a child and young adult and the few that I am not allergic to don't seem to work that well on me anymore. One of my best friends is a pharmacist and even she questioned me about some of the things my doctor would do, so I try to be as natural as possible now. Good luck to you I am very happy that you found relief! Thanks

Tracycoope is offline Junior Member
    I heard kidney infections are unbelievably unbearable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast