Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Intermittent Fasting Dilemma 9/14/2012 by Ori Hofmekler Part 1 page 4

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    It is much easier for me to either eat, or dont eat also. Once I start, I want to get satisfied. But even if that is one meal, it is not really one ginormous meal either. My 24 hour fast days just end up being low cal days. My regular days, are usually Fast-5's and those end up being normal calorie days spaced throughout my window.

I should add that by normal, I mean 1200 - 1500.

Just got this email from Eat Stop Eat dude, regarding the 24s:

OK, so remember the doctor who was quoting as saying that
    fasting "resets" the metabolism, and how the journalist made that sound
    like a really bad thing?

Well here is the full quote from the doctor...
    "Fasting for 24 hours--foregoing not just food but drinks as
    well--may allow the body to rest and reset metabolism, increasing
    the body's sensitivity to glucose and insulin," says Horne,
    director of cardiovascular and genetic epidemiology at
    Intermountain Medical Center in Salt Lake City. "This hypothesis is
    supported by animal research findings of an association between
    fasting and increased longevity. Fasting may aid expression of
    genes related to glycogen, a molecule that seems to increase
    storage of glucose."
    It would be hard for me to go w/o drinks, even just water. I noticed I do much better with a little salt in my water especially in the morning. Might just take some getting use to I guess. however, it does seem like when I fast, I have to remind myself to drink water.
    Last edited by gopintos; 09-17-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Info like this?
    Nady, from another person with slightly tweaked neurology, I adore you. Great article.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Nady, from another person with slightly tweaked neurology, I adore you. Great article.
    Just don't knock your back out as you bow and scrape~

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    It would be hard for me to go w/o drinks, even just water. I noticed I do much better with a little salt in my water especially in the morning. Might just take some getting use to I guess. however, it does seem like when I fast, I have to remind myself to drink water.
    I think that quote refers to abstaining from foods and drink as in non-water drinks w/ calories and nutrition. I don't think it means to not drink water. That could mess you up in a hurry unless you are really pure and cleaned out already, a well-experienced faster. Speaking of going without water, in the '80s, I once went an entire week not drinking water or bathing as an experiment. It was a true water fast, a fast from water, but I was eating food ! Haha. Man did I get slick, grimy and stinky!
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    I don't think it means to not drink water.
    SWHEW!

oh, and the 80's. I remember those... sort of.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Regarding the brain thing, I was reading online how some researchers consider Alzheimer's to be type 3 diabetes. And then I found Emily Deans' post about ketogenic diets helping a small part of the brain of people with early Alzheimer's.
    Evolutionary Psychiatry: Alzheimer's, Mild Cognitive Impairment, and Ketosis

In my mind there is some overlap with ketogenic diets and intermittent fasting, after all, what can be lower carb than eating nothing. Plus the whole fasting thing seems to work similar to calorie restriction which seems to also work similar to ketogenic diets.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Sabre is offline Senior Member
    Cheers sbhikes, checking that out now too

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Did my 24 hours today . Well technically I'm at 23 right now, but I'll take my time getting dinner togeather. I was thinking about extending, but going to bed on an empty stomach SOOOOOO sucks. I may do it sometime, but not today.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I've been weekday IF'ing (only eating dinner) for a couple of months now, and my wife was concerned at the start that it wasn't good for me. Then she was concerned that it was being a bad roll model for my girls (since I still sit with the family for breakfast, and they see me eating nothing more than a brazil nut).

My compromise is to have a cup of miso soup for breakfast, on the grounds that it is unlikely to derail my fast but still looks like eating to them.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I've been weekday IF'ing (only eating dinner) for a couple of months now, and my wife was concerned at the start that it wasn't good for me. Then she was concerned that it was being a bad roll model for my girls (since I still sit with the family for breakfast, and they see me eating nothing more than a brazil nut).

My compromise is to have a cup of miso soup for breakfast, on the grounds that it is unlikely to derail my fast but still looks like eating to them.
    Yal I am glad my kids are grown. Of course we never all sat down to breakfast anyhow, so my eating dinner would fit right in. My youngest son is 18, and for years now, he eats once or twice a day anyways. If he eats twice, it is about every 12 hours. Before Primal, I might be up to fix his middle of the night feeding, but now he is on his own cuz I am in snoooooozeville. He pretty much eats primal but he does like buns and tortilla shells. He likes a deliver system loaded with meat, few veggies, eggs, & cheese.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast