Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Intermittent Fasting Dilemma 9/14/2012 by Ori Hofmekler Part 1 page 3

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
    I have a question. If anyone could direct me to an answer or discussion of this I'd be in their debt:

I've heard that having about 600 calories a day twice a week confers brain/neurological benefits, which are lost if you go above those calories.

Does anyone know what the best way to IM is if one is trying to improve brain health specifically? I'm not interested in weight loss.

As written in my signature, I'm trying to heal my brain after a pretty nasty viral illness wreaked havoc on part of it.
    Info like this?
    from Brain Regeneration

Calorie Reduction: Another factor that turns on the gene for BDNF production is calorie reduction. Extensive studies have clearly demonstrated that when animals are fed a diet with reduced calories, typically by around 30 percent, their brain production of BDNF soars, along with a dramatic enhancement in memory and other cognitive functions.

Sabre is offline Senior Member
    Reading now, thanks!

gmatt is offline Member
    Check out Dr. Mark Mattson at the NIA, he is a leading researcher on IF affects on the brain. He is featured in the BBC Horizon documentary.

FYI: he eats only one meal per day (Mon to Fri) and has two meals/day on weekends.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
    I have a question. If anyone could direct me to an answer or discussion of this I'd be in their debt:

I've heard that having about 600 calories a day twice a week confers brain/neurological benefits, which are lost if you go above those calories.

Does anyone know what the best way to IM is if one is trying to improve brain health specifically? I'm not interested in weight loss.

As written in my signature, I'm trying to heal my brain after a pretty nasty viral illness wreaked havoc on part of it.
    I am becoming increasingly interested in how fasting and ketosis can improve brain functioning specifically as it relates to memory retention. If anyone knows of studies etc, I will be happy to learn more about this area.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Info like this?
    Thank's Nady!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Hey everyone! I posted this Ori article not because I believe all his stuff lock stock and barrel. I did find the circadian rhythms parts quite interesting and those sections and info felt really right and resonated with me and my own experiences. If I stay up late, past or 11pm, 11:30pm or definitely midnight, I've noticed for many years/decades that I get hungry again, like 2nd dinner hungry! I've always been a high energy guy, always eaten a lot, as does everyone in my family pretty much, so when I was younger, eating extra meals never phased me. years ago, when I practiced hard core 2 hour Ashtanga Yoga pre-dawn every day, I would always skip dinner as I woke up empty, ready to roll on the mat. But I never slept as well as I did/do when I have at least a decent or even a small nutritious meal in my belly at dinnertime. I don't generally eat past 8pm, 9pm at the very latest, and only then if I'm famished.

Now in my 40s, the old ways no longer apply like when I was in my 20s & 30s. It's more than fine, I'm quite happy & much healthier on this PB adventure I/we are all on!

Whey shakes are quite different than pure unadulterated 90% isolate whey. Whether it's going to stop autophagy, I dunno. I wouldnt do whey or any protein on any fast.

MY basic rule of thumb, is always stay under 50 calories and avoid protein, sugar & carbs while fasting. For me, that means pickle juices (kimchi & sauerkarut juices), maybe a nibble of actual fully fermented kimchi or kraut, or a tsp of coconut oil or my cod liver oil, which is 10 calories per single serving ie 1 tsp. Ghee would be fine, but I would avoid butter, unless it's a tiny pat in your BP Coffee. I don't advise doing any combo of these options at the same time. I use them as a aid some days but not every day, they are intermittent aids if I feel like I need/want something, but they are not daily crutches. Mostly I just fast on water, which I know works.

Supplements especially antioxidants are a no-no from what I/we currently think is correct way to fast. As would be anything over 50 calories. Pure fat in limited quantities, or fully fermented juices, or salt water, nibbles of kimchi is you dare...Berries AND whey, no way! That's just my opinion...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I'm 62~ like to keep as much grey matter as possible too~ and a little regeneration wouldn't hurt either!

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Check out Dr. Mark Mattson at the NIA, he is a leading researcher on IF affects on the brain. He is featured in the BBC Horizon documentary.

FYI: he eats only one meal per day (Mon to Fri) and has two meals/day on weekends.
    What a wild man! Haha...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    It's an interesting article with useful information, but wasn't the Warrior diet a bit discredited after a few years? I may be wrong, but I thought the undereating part during the day proved too hard for most people (sometimes it's easier to eat nothing than to eat a little bit) and the massive feast in the evening caused all kinds of digestive issues (though I guess this is all about your stomach getting used to it).
    I started reading his book a while ago but got a bit fed up with all the mystical "be a warrior" references so I never finished it. A 16/8 or 18/6 fast seems more practical for most people.
    Agreed. My consistent experience is/has been: fasting fully is easier than regularly or successfully limiting myself as a pattern to tiny meals when I'm hungry (often!) and I love my own cooking & the fact I can get 2nds if I wanna... I'd not be happy doing that, therefore it is not and never will be sustainable for me. I'm perfectly fine and happy eating 2-3 meals a day most days of the week, and fasting for 48 hours every week. I thought about doing two separate 24 hour fasts, but I felt, for me, one 48 is better and easier. Whether it's optimal. I'm seeking progress not perfection, something I can achieve my goals doing and remain happy doing it.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I think I'll try a 48 hr. fast every week.

It might be fun not to have to think about food for 48 hrs.
    I could cook up enough for DH over the w/e and he just said he'd warm it up.
    Wow, I'm liking this idea. Thx, Betorq.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast