Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Non Grass Fed page

  1. #1
    ozzy's Avatar
    ozzy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    HI
    Posts
    12

    Non Grass Fed

    Primal Fuel
    I'm sorry in advance if the answer to this question lies in the forum already, I did a quick scan and could not find it. Exactly how detrimental to the program is non grass fed animals? Where i live grass fed is VERY expensive and not really that plentiful. I try to do the best that I can i just hope that its not a deal breaker. Thanks in advance to any helpers

  2. #2
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    One of Mark's favorite quotes (not sure from whom) is, "Don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good".

    Yes grass fed is better. Look into options such as meat co-ops, CSA's etc and see if there is any way for you to do some cowpooling.
    These can all help bring the cost down to reasonable.

    But if it really comes down to it. Eat real whole foods including CAFO meat and you will already be miles ahead of the curve. Stressing about making everything perfect just raises your cortisol levels. You'll be fine.

  3. #3
    BennettC's Avatar
    BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beaufot, SC
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    I'm sorry in advance if the answer to this question lies in the forum already, I did a quick scan and could not find it. Exactly how detrimental to the program is non grass fed animals? Where i live grass fed is VERY expensive and not really that plentiful. I try to do the best that I can i just hope that its not a deal breaker. Thanks in advance to any helpers
    I'm 18 and I just cant afford it. Luckily in South Carolina I can get good all natural chicken for a great price. But I eat grain fed beef and pork with no ill effects. I also eat a lot of canned wild Alaskan Salmon which runs $2.33 a can. I'm also looking at ordering some of the pet burger from U.S. Wellness as its $4.19/lb
    Hope this helps!
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

  4. #4
    ozzy's Avatar
    ozzy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    HI
    Posts
    12
    Lots of Rotisserie chicken for me haha...I actually stumbled upon some grass fed grass finished beef at the farmers market and got some but it was definitely pricey...and if you have ever been to Hawaii you understand what I mean.

    @BennettC congratulations on such a smart decision at such a young age...You are definitely way ahead of the curve

  5. #5
    Dr. Bork Bork's Avatar
    Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    4,813
    What Paleobird said. Follow the spirit of primal and you'll be better off than 90% of the nation. Get the best you can afford. Stick to protein, veggies, and fruit. Avoid processed. Try not to overcomplicate or overthink things
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

  6. #6
    Jena's Avatar
    Jena is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    501
    I completely understand! I have no viable options for grass fed beef near me either. The only thing I could do would be to try to find someone to go halvsies on a cow with, but even then I have nowhere to store it. If I know a friend from an area with a whole foods is coming into town I have them pick me up some grass fed ground beef, but otherwise I eat the grocery store selection. I have still seen results and feel better. I agree with the previous comments... we're still better off than most people
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

    My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

  7. #7
    ozzy's Avatar
    ozzy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    HI
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    What Paleobird said. Follow the spirit of primal and you'll be better off than 90% of the nation. Get the best you can afford. Stick to protein, veggies, and fruit. Avoid processed. Try not to overcomplicate or overthink things
    Thanks I've tried to stay on the lower carb side of the veggies and fruits and eat plenty of fat and protein. I also recently quit smoking and daily drinking (usually 4-5 drinks) so it has been a big lifestyle change all together. I've stayed very active and used to be a "calorie counter" and it is definitely liberating to be out of that mindset. I have a fairly decent understanding of keeping insulin release low and have started to adapt to this new way of eating. I felt like sh*t the first couple of days but now I feel fine. Its awesome.

  8. #8
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    Thanks I've tried to stay on the lower carb side of the veggies and fruits and eat plenty of fat and protein. I also recently quit smoking and daily drinking (usually 4-5 drinks) so it has been a big lifestyle change all together. I've stayed very active and used to be a "calorie counter" and it is definitely liberating to be out of that mindset. I have a fairly decent understanding of keeping insulin release low and have started to adapt to this new way of eating. I felt like sh*t the first couple of days but now I feel fine. Its awesome.
    Well done!! Just that right there has probably added a decade or two to your life.

  9. #9
    ozzy's Avatar
    ozzy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    HI
    Posts
    12
    Hopefully haha..fortunately I'm only about to be 24 not 40 so its still an early catch I suppose

  10. #10
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Even better. You may be able to reverse a lot of the damage you have done with some good new PB habits.

    Welcome. Stick with it and you have a long and healthy life ahead of you. I wish I had found this at your age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •