Thread: Grok Wannabe page

bamems is offline Junior Member

Smile Grok Wannabe

Shop Now
    Hello,

I bought The Primal Blueprint at the end of August and just finished reading it this week. On 9/2 I started going grain free. I'm disappointed that I have not lost any weight or body fat, but I am happy to report that my hormones are getting balanced. I'm 44 years old and have suffered from hot flashes to varying degrees for the past 9 years. The hot flashes got progressively worse and were more than a nuisance or a good joke. Nothing I tried helped. Just two weeks off grains and I am almost hot flash free. That's the positive!! I also bought the Quick & Easy Meals Cook Book.

I have not completely given up sugar yet and I'm eating dark chocolate, in small doses, daily. Since I've had carb and sugar cravings for the better part of, oh, the past 12 years, giving up grains is is a good place to start. I'm working on giving up the sugar as well.

I really hope going primal will help me feel better and fit into my clothes once again. I've never been so "fat" in all my life. I exercise and "move" daily. I walk my three dogs, swim, occasionally cycle, kick box, lift heavy things, etc. I do not, however, sleep. I've had insomnia for 12 years (no, I don't have sleep apnea). I know sleep is crucial to good health and I've tried a variety of things over the years to get sleep, but so far, it alludes me.

Looking forward to learning from others at MarksDailyApple.
    Cheers,
    Beth
    Rochester, NY
    44-year old mom of 2 daughters, 3 dogs
    Author, EMS Educator, National Speaker

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamems View Post
    Hello,

I bought The Primal Blueprint at the end of August and just finished reading it this week. On 9/2 I started going grain free. I'm disappointed that I have not lost any weight or body fat, but I am happy to report that my hormones are getting balanced. I'm 44 years old and have suffered from hot flashes to varying degrees for the past 9 years. The hot flashes got progressively worse and were more than a nuisance or a good joke. Nothing I tried helped. Just two weeks off grains and I am almost hot flash free. That's the positive!! I also bought the Quick & Easy Meals Cook Book.

I have not completely given up sugar yet and I'm eating dark chocolate, in small doses, daily. Since I've had carb and sugar cravings for the better part of, oh, the past 12 years, giving up grains is is a good place to start. I'm working on giving up the sugar as well.

I really hope going primal will help me feel better and fit into my clothes once again. I've never been so "fat" in all my life. I exercise and "move" daily. I walk my three dogs, swim, occasionally cycle, kick box, lift heavy things, etc. I do not, however, sleep. I've had insomnia for 12 years (no, I don't have sleep apnea). I know sleep is crucial to good health and I've tried a variety of things over the years to get sleep, but so far, it alludes me.

Looking forward to learning from others at MarksDailyApple.
    Cheers,
    Beth
    Rochester, NY
    44-year old mom of 2 daughters, 3 dogs
    Author, EMS Educator, National Speaker
    Glad to have you on board Beth. Just remember if weight loss is the goal you'll have to cut your carbohydrates as well as your calories. Btw dark chocolate is very calorie dense. I took am struggling with insomnia and have been for quite some time. Anyways nice to hear your eating clean and again, glad to have you on board!
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamems View Post
    [COLOR="#800080"]I do not, however, sleep. I've had insomnia for 12 years (no, I don't have sleep apnea). I know sleep is crucial to good health and I've tried a variety of things over the years to get sleep, but so far, it alludes me.
    Yeah, that's huge.

The Caveman Doctor recently had a good post on sleep:

Sleeping Away Cancer - Caveman Doctor

I hope there might be something in there that you've missed. I would not let up on that one till you solve it -- and I'm sure you can. Lack of sleep all by itself can shred your insulin resistance.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I should also add in that I'm not a doctor, this is Marks plan in the book and based on the research ive done and through personal experience a lower carb diet will be beneficial
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Thanks so much for the reply and information. I know I need to cut down on sugar as well, and actually I have, considering the amount I ate before. I have cut carbs down by about 75% from what I was eating. I have not had a grain or grain food (cereal, cake, cookies, bread, bagels, etc.) since 9/1. I am eating healthy proteins and fats and some dark chocolate (not bags of it).
    I don't sleep well and have not for years so I know that reaks havoc in my body. I feel as though nothing has worked for me recently. I am an active person. I am not nor have I ever been a couch potato.
    I'll check out the links you left. Thanks again.
    Beth

Lewis,
    I know how important sleep is and I totally agree and WANT to sleep WELL. It's just not happening.
    I will check out the weblink you shared. Thank you.
    Beth

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I have interrupted sleep patterns due to night sweats. I know Mark is anti-constant cardo but I, basically, try to workout until I am exhausted. Then I sleep like a baby. On days I can't workout, I sleep maybe 4 hours.

Welcome aboard and good luck!