Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes page 5

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Home
    Nothing but potato diet.
    It's not really surprising considering potatoes have one of the highest satiety index scores per calorie out of any food. It would be extremely hard to over eat boiled potatoes.
    That's a cool website, http://20potatoesaday.com. Thanks. I have a greater respect now for the potatoes out there.

Interesting in that the guy who lived on nothing but spuds & canola & olive oil for 60 days stated this in his Q&A:

Q. What was your diet like prior to the potato diet?
    A. My best estimate is that it was probably a little better than the average US citizen only becasue of a high rate of produce consumption. I generally would eat about 10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. But I ate everything else too. I would eat a wide range of food, a little bit of everything, including foods that aren't considered "healthy."

OK, can we assume he ate commercial store bought foods? He even mentions packaged chips & french fries elsewhere. So he means junk food w/ HFCS & rancid, crappy oils & hydrogenated oils, chemicals etc etc. He did state he only ate a little better than the average US citizen. So his mono-diet was really a much healthier one, as a cleanse/digestive/sleep reset, than his standard diet. I'm being nit picky, but you get the point. Mono-diets have been around for a long time, as a cure for whatever ails you, https://www.google.com/search?client...q=mono%20diets. I wonder how the average SAD folks would do on a 365 day spud diet? Or a 365 coconut diet? That's a hella lot longer than 60 days, which seems long enough! I'm sure if it's out there in cyberspace, someone can post a link or copy/paste it here...

This was an interesting read, more so imo, as opposed to the biological straight up wiki of the spud; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_potato

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    That's because people don't want to spike their insulin unnecessarily when they have medical issues. For example, Paleobird has a problem with seizures unless she eats low carb.

For those of us who are completely healthy, we should really be exercising and raising insulin every once in a while to avoid becoming resistant. I honestly think it's bullshit that those who have healthy metabolisms and functioning bodies refuse to do difficult exercise for small periods of time, and instead, continue to cling to ketosis like it's the magic pill that's going to right all their wrongs.
    Agreed. I come in and out of ketosis regularly, as I'm not trying to treat any medical conditions, diseases or syndromes. I alternate betwen LC/VLC & back to normal carb ranges, and I vary my workouts more than I used to, giving my body more days between repetition of the same exercises, with more complete rest days that I used to label lazy days for myself. Now I call them healing days, & I recommend most of my clients to chill out more often in between their workout regimes.
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-18-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    That's because people don't want to spike their insulin unnecessarily when they have medical issues. For example, Paleobird has a problem with seizures unless she eats low carb.

For those of us who are completely healthy, we should really be exercising and raising insulin every once in a while to avoid becoming resistant. I honestly think it's bullshit that those who have healthy metabolisms and functioning bodies refuse to do difficult exercise for small periods of time, and instead, continue to cling to ketosis like it's the magic pill that's going to right all their wrongs.
    I'm pretty sure we're in complete agreement here. I can appreciate therapeutic ketosis, as ketones seem to benefit the brain quite a bit. Hell, my wife chooses to stay mostly ketogenic because it allows her more mental clarity for school. Whether the pill she's taking is the cause of her general fogginess is up for debate, but I don't begrudge her for it one bit. I only take issue with the perfectly insulin sensitive crowd insisting that ketosis isn't just a useful backup metabolism, but rather our optimal metabolism, and also that raising blood sugar (and insulin as a result) is a one-two punch that gives people diabetes. There's no support for such an idea outside of Good Calories, Bad Calories, and he misinterpreted/manipulated/ignored research and his theory isn't true. So...

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I'm pretty sure we're in complete agreement here. I can appreciate therapeutic ketosis, as ketones seem to benefit the brain quite a bit. Hell, my wife chooses to stay mostly ketogenic because it allows her more mental clarity for school. Whether the pill she's taking is the cause of her general fogginess is up for debate, but I don't begrudge her for it one bit. I only take issue with the perfectly insulin sensitive crowd insisting that ketosis isn't just a useful backup metabolism, but rather our optimal metabolism, and also that raising blood sugar (and insulin as a result) is a one-two punch that gives people diabetes. There's no support for such an idea outside of Good Calories, Bad Calories, and he misinterpreted/manipulated/ignored research and his theory isn't true. So...
    How would you define "perfectly" insulin sensitive? From what I have read, it seems post prandial BG is a better gage than fasting BG. A normal person can have a high carb meal and have 1 hour post prandial BG of 110-120 and return to baseline in a couple hours. 15-20 grams of carbs takes my 1 hour PP to over 140 and it takes 3-4 hours to get below 110. I love sweet potatoes but I can only eat 50 grams at a time. This is not easy for me. Sort of like asking an alcoholic to just have one drink. I am doing better. I would rather have a couple mouthfuls of sweet potato with cinnamon as a treat than forego them altogether. I do envy people with "perfect" insulin sensitivity. It would be nice to do a major carb meal and not worry about sludging up my blood with glucose.

Exactly. Thanks for the alcoholic analogy @Artbuc

It gets tiresome to read over and over again, some people making these blanket statements as if everyone is the same metabolically & their way is THE WAY. And as if their statements are irrefutable, & if anyone attempts to interject a dissenting view, a valid dissenting view as it's that person's reality & their life to deal with those circumstances, then they get called out or shamed in subtle or not so subtle ways. I'm a smart alec at times admittedly, but except in rare cases, I try not to flame anyone.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information and i'll take personal experience over a book or website any day. You are right about the glycemic index though, it's fairly useless. When the tests for measurements were done, the only food consumed was carbohydrate in a 50 gram dose. People obviously eat more than 50 grams and more than one kind of food in a sitting.
    source: "The Glycation Factor" by Dr. Greg Ellis
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information and i'll take personal experience over a book or website any day. You are right about the glycemic index though, it's fairly useless. When the tests for measurements were done, the only food consumed was carbohydrate in a 50 gram dose. People obviously eat more than 50 grams and more than one kind of food in a sitting. source: "The Glycation Factor" by Dr. Greg Ellis
    Wikipedia can be good, & it can be not good. I think blanket statements like that deserve qualifying. Is there a particular or a set of wiki info you have issues with? I have no vested interest in defending wikipedia 1 way or another, I'm just curious...
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-18-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: typo

I've read good stuff on wiki too. But I was referring to Choco's post above where all of his sources come from wiki. should've quoted it but it was a really long post for a short response. thought id put my 2 cents in
    Before and after pics
    Primal Sucess Story
    Primal Journal

got a nice laugh out of yalls debate btw. kind of made my morning lol, he did indeed get served
    Before and after pics
    Primal Sucess Story
    Primal Journal

it happens to us all, in time...
    fyi, for future reference, you can hit Reply With Quote & then delete the parts you don't want to include from others' posts...

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    ...the Dalai Lama doesn't know it.....
    Actually he does, he just isnt sharing. I asked him about that particular subject the other day and he just smiled that smile of his and said he didnt want to spoil the ending...
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast