Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes page 4

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks. So sweet potatoes are 'bad' too (or at least, as bad as regular potatoes are) but you are 'cheating' with them (rather than with potatoes) because they taste better.

Also (to the thread at large), here's Marks take on potatoes. Basically if you are trying to lose weight and have the wrong body type then potato consumption shold be minimised.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 09-17-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Thanks. So sweet potatoes are 'bad' too (or at least, as bad as regular potatoes are) but you are 'cheating' with them (rather than with potatoes) because they taste better.

Also (to the thread at large), here's Marks take on potatoes. Basically if you are trying to lose weight and have the wrong body type then potato consumption shold be minimised.

This is exactly what I've been trying to say. Neither is inherently "bad", just bad for some people under some circumstances.

Unless of course you are Chaco and think the whole world is 23, male, and highly athletic, with a perfect as yet undamaged metabolism and anyone else is just a whiner making excuses.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This is exactly what I've been trying to say. Neither is inherently "bad", just bad for some people under some circumstances.

Unless of course you are Chaco and think the whole world is 23, male, and highly athletic, with a perfect as yet undamaged metabolism and anyone else is just a whiner making excuses.
    Correct. To be fair, I think that chocos answer *is* actually responding to the OP in an appropriate way, but pointing out the relative lack of difference between potatoes and sweet potatoes.

To the OP: If you need 250g of carbs, potatoes and sweet potatoes are ok sources. When I need to go 'over the top' on my food intake I increase my fat instead of carbs (although I'm not a low carber either).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Picaro is offline Member
    I'm 53, male, and like to think I'm highly athletic with a perfect metabolism....close enough.
    A lot of foods are N=1 relative.
    I eat a lot of dairy very comfortably, but whey protein sits heavy on my stomach and gives me that hayfevery tingling on the roof of my mouth. ( Jaminet doesnt think whey protein is a positive thing)

With potatoes, if I have sweet potatoes, my bowels sing like a harp. White potatoes are more like the rumble of a kettledrum.

Suck it and see, YMMV, saddle up and ride little cowboy.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    [/B]

I do eat sweet potatoes & I load them up w/ lots of butter, coco oil, cinnamon & that last time, and ya gotta try this, mounds of organic full fat sour creme. It wasn't bad, it was great. I have no guilt issues over food, I'm Jewish fer gawds sake, I love food. But I choose sweet potatoes over white spuds as they are more of a reward for me (they're sweet and more savory), plus I feel better knowing they have a better macro profile.

And Taco, here in the deep south, which closely resembles Africa's heat & humidity (minus the wild animal stampedes), Sweet potatoes have been in season for many many months, as have all squashes. I do eat winter squashes too, kabocha is my fav. I never met a vegetable I didn't like... There are no 'bad' real/whole foods (I don't consider HFCS or hydrogenated oils real foods but all tubers are pretty tasty & decent nutrition).

But I do take exception to Taco's inaccurate assertation that eating potatoes, sorry...that stuffing potatoes into your face gives you decent protein that is useful in any serious degree when its so disproportionately high in carbs therefore sugars.

Anyone can live for a year on a tropical island eating nothing but coconuts & build themselves a house, flooring, cups, mugs, plates, knives, forks & spoons & make fires & knit clothes with coconut palm's various parts. Can drink the water & moisturize skin & hair. Can anyone do the same with a year of nothing but potatoes stuck on some Irish atol? Ok, that's equivocation.

Some people get ill from nightshades like potatoes. Coconut oil can cause nausea in some people if its consumed too quickly in too large of doses. But that's not illness, that's just poor judgement
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-17-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Timthetaco is offline Senior Member
    If this forum has taught me anything, it's that people get smarter when they stop believing in the insulin hypothesis. Choco's a dick, but he's right.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    If this forum has taught me anything, it's that people get smarter when they stop believing in the insulin hypothesis. Choco's a dick, but he's right.
    That's because people don't want to spike their insulin unnecessarily when they have medical issues. For example, Paleobird has a problem with seizures unless she eats low carb.

For those of us who are completely healthy, we should really be exercising and raising insulin every once in a while to avoid becoming resistant. I honestly think it's bullshit that those who have healthy metabolisms and functioning bodies refuse to do difficult exercise for small periods of time, and instead, continue to cling to ketosis like it's the magic pill that's going to right all their wrongs.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Home
    Nothing but potato diet.
    It's not really surprising considering potatoes have one of the highest satiety index scores per calorie out of any food. It would be extremely hard to over eat boiled potatoes.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    at the time of the potato famine the average irish peasant ( male who worked ) ate about 14 or 15lbs a day of potatoes and not much else. Granted the potatoes then had different sugars and were alot tastier on their own.

TwinkleToes is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by EatFatLoseFat View Post
    New here so excuse me if it's a dumb question, but I can't find any info about this. I have seen mark constantly write about how sweet potatoes are a good carb source for those of us that need carbs. I have also seen a post of his saying potatoes are good, but it doesn't compare the two. Anybody have any advice? I need carbs and want to cut grain/legumes so I am going to go potatoe route, but sometimes I need 250g of carbs a day and if I do 200 of them in sweet potatoes that seems like a lot of sugar compared to the rolled oats and rice I used to eat 200g of. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Sweet potatoes are ideal for it, because it is consists of vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese, and all the carotenes, especially beta-carotene. They are also an excellent source of antioxidants which may help protect our cells from damage.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast