Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Potatoes, in excess, for most people both spikes insulin and causes weight gain or prevents many people from losing weight, despite exercise being factored in. Ok, so you're a young, lean, fat-adapted athlete. Most of the world doesn't match your profile. When are you going to "get" that important detail?
    In about twenty years.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    If you ask a school child where potatoes traditionally come from, they'll likely say Ireland since school children are taught all about the potato famine. Tubers are often regarded as a cold weather food, similar to squashes. Sweet potato season isn't here yet. A potato is not an African yam.

Wow, the youngster card, eh? Sounds like you're the one with some arrogance issues. Isn't it past your bedtime?
    A badly educated schoolchild, yes. But those are the ones you hang out with right?

The original question was about all kinds of potatoes, white and sweet. Many people confuse yams with sweet potatoes so I'm not sure if the OP meant to include these too.

Face it kiddo, you got your ass handed to you. Logic trumps bravado every time. You are the one up past your bedtime. It's a school night

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    In about twenty years.
    Never. Because I am the norm, not the exception.

The real food fear around here needs to stop. It's incredibly tiring and incredibly immature to see everyone trying to create excuses for themselves. Everyone is an "exception." News flash - it is not normal human behavior to be unable to metabolize perfectly healthy food. People simply can't wrap their mind around personal responsibility, and everyone needs something to blame. It doesn't work like that. Potatoes never made anyone diabetic. Neither did fruit. Processed foods made out of refined corn syrup and polyunsaturated fat made people sick, and it's not due to carb load, it's due to the horrendous levels of stress and hormonal dysfunction inherent in these toxic foods. It's not the carb load in wheat that's bad, it's the gluten, WGA, phytate and a myriad of other lectins we're unaware of paired with the rancid polyunsaturated fat inherent in the milled seed.

Very few people on this forum are special cases. It's been very, very difficult to post in this forum lately because there are less and less people here actually trying to get healthy and it's turned into a land of people selling agendas and promoting eating disorders, and no one seems to have even read the book.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    A badly educated schoolchild, yes. But those are the ones you hang out with right?

The original question was about all kinds of potatoes, white and sweet. Many people confuse yams with sweet potatoes so I'm not sure if the OP meant to include these too.

Face it kiddo, you got your ass handed to you. Logic trumps bravado every time. You are the one up past your bedtime. It's a school night
    No, I didn't. The conversation had absolutely nothing to do with a potato. The potato was an example, and you have people with agendas creating straw man fallacies in order to detract from the topic at hand. The point is, carb load is absolutely irrelevant in the majority of cases. The "potato" was used - by me - as an example because it is more nutritious per calorie than primal darlings like the coconut. The point is, in general it does not matter if you eat potatoes or coconut or whatever. Eat what makes you feel best and stop thinking in terms of macros. Real food is real food.

You didn't read the thread, and you commented on what you were ignorant of. Betorq created a completely ridiculous hypothetical situation to push an agenda, and when faced with confounding factors that he didn't account for in said BS hypothetical situation, he did what any coward does - he perverted the argument and attempted to tear down the person instead of admitting that he was wrong to do so. Throw in a simple appeal to authority, and you have a master of fallacies.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-17-2012 at 08:32 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Oh boy...

Potato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And in case you were wondering:

Andes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, the dark-skinned South Americans residing 13,000 feet above sea level in the Andes mountains. Truly, they live in the tropics.

If you ask a school child where potatoes traditionally come from, they'll likely say Ireland. Tubers are often regarded as a cold weather food, similar to squashes. Sweet potato season isn't here yet. A potato is not an African yam.

Yes, me telling people to experiment for themselves and not to fear real food regardless of macros instead of believing in someone's sales tactics is truly infuriating isn't it? It is when you have an agenda I suppose. I really couldn't care less about your agenda, so hopefully this makes your blood boil even more and you'll eventually just stop responding.

Wow, the youngster card, eh? Sounds like you're the one with some arrogance issues. Peace out, old man
    If 2 months into 47 y.o. qualifies me as an old man, that's ok I can live with that. I have no agenda nor am I selling any products nor services online by posting here on MDA. I derive no profit nor does posting here increase my actual businesses. I post here because I want(ed) to give back, as I was a lurker, just reading & learning for more than a year, on & off. You must know that I never said nor even inferred the Andes, which I have been up near the top myself when I was your age, was the tropics. And sure, certainly, I do have arrogance issues, but I can readily recognize them, admit them, talk about them, & most of the time, defuse them before foot in mouth ensues. And what are you babbling about sweet potatoes and yams in season, tubers being cold weather foods? Where is taro from? Sweet potato, yam, cassava? Yes, potatoes are from high altitude Andes originally yes. But the majority are from hot places, can we at least agree on the originating climates/lands of these tubers?

Have you ever traveled internationally? Where do you get your knowledge? Books, internet, travel magazines or lucid dreaming?

Maybe the school kids where I'm from are sharper and/or better informed than those from your neighborhood, I dunno. But the kids around here in North Atlanta & even where I live, in Northern Cali, are sharp as tacks. I do some volunteer work with some kids here once a week while I'm in Atlanta, and I wish I had the advantages and educational resources growing up that they have and that they capitalize on. I was a smart enough kid, but I facked off a lot/too much.

In my advanced elderly years, I do try to keep up and read some here & there, while my eyes are still good enough to read by candlelight
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Paleobird Guest
    Never. Because I am the norm, not the exception.

The real food fear around here needs to stop. It's incredibly tiring and incredibly immature to see everyone trying to create excuses for themselves. Everyone is an "exception." News flash - it is not normal human behavior to be unable to metabolize perfectly healthy food. People simply can't wrap their mind around personal responsibility, and everyone needs something to blame. It doesn't work like that. Potatoes never made anyone diabetic. Neither did fruit. Processed foods made out of refined corn syrup and polyunsaturated fat made people sick, and it's not due to carb load, it's due to the horrendous levels of stress and hormonal dysfunction inherent in these toxic foods. It's not the carb load in wheat that's bad, it's the gluten, WGA, phytate and a myriad of other lectins we're unaware of paired with the rancid polyunsaturated fat inherent in the milled seed.

Very few people on this forum are special cases. It's been very, very difficult to post in this forum lately because there are less and less people here actually trying to get healthy and it's turned into a land of people selling agendas and promoting eating disorders, and no one seems to have even read the book.
    You are the young healthy norm that humankind SHOULD be, yes. You are Grok in his mid 20's. Yay you. You are not the statistical norm of modern day reality however and you are certainly not the norm on a board where most (not all) people are interested in losing at least some weight.

Nobody's making excuses. I am 50 and I just lost 5 dress sizes and 65 lbs, healed my thyroid and climbed a very tall mountain. I didn't sit around saying I am fat because of potatoes. I chose not to eat potatoes and all other starches and sugars and lost the weight.

And nobody is fearing real foods. They are just picking and choosing the real foods that work best for them. Eat your spuds. Enjoy. I know they are not good for me. Why can't you deal with the fact that people are different?

Promoting eating disorders? IIRC, you are the one who has been pushing the UD2 complete with cake binges.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Much as I enjoy a good taco takedown, I actually agree with the first few posts that he made here.

I think that potatoes have been unnecessarily vilified in paleo/primal circles, and that they are quite similar nutritionally to sweet potatoes once they have been cooked. I can't understand the different relative statuses of the potatoes and kumara (sweet potatoes) where one is fine while the other must be banished from your diet.

We currently don't eat potatoes in our household, but that's because the wif is trying out a nightshades elimination diet at the moment (which also means no capsicums....).

To the OP: When I need more calories, my go-to is bananas topped with dark chocolate and cream.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 09-17-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Hey, I enjoy sweet potatoes and I absolutely adore yucca (deep fried in coco oil, sorry Taco). I have never talked or written a single word demonizing any foods, even white sugar has its uses (kombucha anyone?). I can eat anything I want, as I have an iron stomach & a high metabolism. I just 'choose' to eat LC/VLC coz it works for me. My mom eats more fruit & sweet potatoes than I do as that's her pleasure, & it works for her as she's losing fat while building muscle, while reversing symptoms and markers of high BP, hypothyroidism & heart disease at age 75! And I buy, clean, slice & serve them to her with a smile. I love carbs, who doesn't? But I limit them, for now as I approach my lean & metabolic goals.

Taco, I'm wrong at times, sometimes a lot, I can admit it at this point in my life. Why is this such an issue with you? I am asking from a place of genuine concern and non-aggression. I apologize for my extreme attack mode earlier. See what I did there: I admitted I was out of line, and I apologized. But I still contend my views, observations & life experiences are valid & genuine.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Much as I enjoy a good taco takedown, I actually agree with the first few posts that he made here.

I think that potatoes have been unnecessarily vilified in paleo/primal circles, and that they are quite similar nutritionally to sweet potatoes once they have been cooked. I can't understand the different relative statuses of the potatoes and kumara (sweet potatoes).

We currently don't eat them in our household, but that's because the wif is trying out a nightshades elimination diet at the moment (which also means no capsicums....).

To the OP: When I need more calories, my go-to is bananas topped with dark chocolate and cream.
    I couldn't agree more. They are totally primal if that is what you want. They are a good way to get some extra calories in if you are really burning through them with your workouts.

It's just when nonsense like "potatoes come from places where people have white skin and poor vit d exposure" come spewing out along with demands that others accept his way of eating as perfect and implications that anything else is disordered eating start flying, then it is time for a taco takedown.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post

I think that potatoes have been unnecessarily vilified in paleo/primal circles, and that they are quite similar nutritionally to sweet potatoes once they have been cooked. I can't understand the different relative statuses of the potatoes and kumara (sweet potatoes) where one is fine while the other must be banished from your diet.

We currently don't eat potatoes in our household, but that's because the wif is trying out a nightshades elimination diet at the moment (which also means no capsicums....).

I do the same, or used to until recently. Frozen bananas with melted chocolate, cinnamon, touch of stevia & seasalt, maybe some cayenne powder for good measure & sprinkle coco flakes over the whole thing, looks like a phallic Christmas...

"Much as I enjoy a good taco takedown". Thanks for the good & sustained laugh i got outta that line....

If I were going to eat potatoes anytime soon, it'd have to be those purple ones, they are so cool looking (my favorite colour) & they're quite yummy creamy. We used to eat them "con crema y sal" roadside @ crossroads waiting around forever for beat up old '60s buses that were late or never came in Guatemala & once I think I recall in Colombia too, on our way back to the Venezuelan border crossing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast