Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes page 2

  1. #11
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,605
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Picaro View Post
    If the glycemic index is something that needs consideration for an individual, sweet potato is slow and white potato is fast.
    GI is pretty meaningless. GL tells a better story. GI simply shows how much amylose there is in proportion to amylopectin in a carbohydrate source. Less amylose = lower GI.

    According to Nutritiondata, 100 grams of raw white potato has a glycemic load of 7. Meanwhile, 100 grams of sweet potato has a glycemic load of...8! Why? Because sweet potatoes are more calorically dense than white potatoes, and an equal serving of sweet potatoes in terms of weight is actually higher in carbs. This is despite the fact that a sweet potato has a GI of '54' while a baked white potato has a GI of '85'.

    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Potatoes, white, flesh and skin, raw [Includes USDA commodity food A215]
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Sweet potato, raw, unprepared [Includes USDA commodity food A230, Sweetpotato]
    Glycemic Index Food Chart

    Interestingly enough, I've found when carbohydrate loading, white potatoes will promote less bloating and easier digestion than sweet potatoes. I eat sweet potatoes over while potatoes for one reason - I think they taste better. I see no reason to choose one over the other in terms of health unless you are nightshade sensitive <- my opinion.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  2. #12
    Picaro's Avatar
    Picaro is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    S.E Queensland
    Posts
    64
    Main reason i mentioned it is that a family member ( the only diabetic i have direct dealings with ) finds a marked difference with his blood samples. White shows a big spike after eating, and sweet is a negligible change.

  3. #13
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,606
    @ Choco sorry, but fit day nutrition fails to impress me. It doesn't take into account a variety of issues ....not the least of which is that the RDA and general way that we measure "nutrition" is total bunk. Basically your requirements are reverse engineered from the current USDA food pyramid (i.e. SAD diet approved)

    As to how you measure need....are you kidding me? You mean you don't know?

    Since it doesn't matter if you eat fat, protein, or carbs why don't you go ahead and eliminate protein from your diet and tell me how you fare. There are reasonable calculations as to how much protein you "need"....your frequency of glycolytic exercise will help determine your carbohydrate "need" in addition to recognizing how much glucose you displace with ketones.

    Actually I see quite clearly how to calculate "need". I didn't make the assertion that you could not eat more protein or carbs or fat for that matter than it takes to meet your needs. OP made a statement as to their needs and I'm curious as to how they arrived at it.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-17-2012 at 06:05 PM.

  4. #14
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    @ Choco sorry, but fit day nutrition fails to impress me. It doesn't take into account a variety of issues ....not the least of which is that the RDA and general way that we measure "nutrition" is total bunk. Basically your requirements are reverse engineered from the current USDA food pyramid (i.e. SAD diet approved)
    Who is talking about RDA? We're talking about micronutrient content. Potatoes blow away coconut. Period. There is no argument. They are more nutrient-dense per calorie regardless of how you want to spin it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    As to how you measure need....are you kidding me? You mean you don't know?
    Neither do you. No one knows what they "need." Stop worrying about arbitrary numbers and eat the foods that make you feel and perform best. If that's coconut or potatoes or both, it doesn't matter as long as it's real food. Somewhere out there there's a Type I Diabetic deadlifting on nearly zero carbs that's a monster at the gym, and somewhere out there there's a guy that sits on his ass all day eating a low fat/high carbohydrate diet that's perfectly healthy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Since it doesn't matter if you eat fat, protein, or carbs why don't you go ahead and eliminate protein from your diet and tell me how you fare. There are reasonable calculations as to how much protein you "need"....your frequency of glycolytic exercise will help determine your carbohydrate "need" in addition to recognizing how much glucose you displace with ketones.
    This is such a ridiculous paragraph I don't even know where to begin.

    1.) Who said anything about "eliminating" anything from your diet? I sure as hell didn't. You did.

    2.) There is no way to determine exactly how much protein, carbohydrate or fat you need. There is no magic formula, only guesstimates that make wild assumptions based on the "average" American. There is no such thing as "The Average American," BTW.

    3.) Now I'll attempt to entertain your ridiculous straw man: It's impossible to "eliminate" protein from your diet if you're eating whole foods. It's in everything. Even if you did something ridiculous like eat a diet of solely white potatoes, that gives you ~7% calories protein, which is roughly half of USDA guidelines (15%). And, unlike most vegetarian protein sources, potato protein is extremely high quality and complete, rivaling the quality of some meats.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Actually I see quite clearly how to calculate "need". I didn't make the assertion that you could not eat more protein or carbs or fat for that matter than it takes to meet your needs. OP made a statement as to their needs and I'm curious as to how they arrived at it.
    No, there is no calculation. You don't know it, I don't know it, Mark Sisson doesn't know it, Martin Berkhan doesn't know it, the Dalai Lama doesn't know it. Experiment and eat what makes you feel best and don't go by some predetermined "ideal" macro profile from Bodybuilding.com.

    Read less, experiment more. That's the best advice I could give anyone.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-17-2012 at 06:24 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  5. #15
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,606
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Read less, experiment more. That's the best advice I could give anyone.....
    Good thing I wasn't soliciting any then...

  6. #16
    Betorq's Avatar
    Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    GA & CA
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Not sure what's meant by this. What defines a carbohydrate "need"? What defines fat "need"? What defines protein "need"? Why would you think your body cares if you ingest carbohydrate, fat or protein? Neither is healthier than the other. It always depends on the source, and it comes down to overall nutrition. A diet full of potatoes is going to be a lot healthier than a diet full of coconut because potatoes are more nutritious on the whole.

    Let's take a look at 300 kcal of raw coconut meat.



    That's pretty lame compared to a white potato or sweet potato. Even with all those scary carbs, you're probably going to be a lot healthier stuffing your face full of potatoes than comparatively "empty" coconuts. Perspective is important.
    I've seen generations of people that ate a coconut predominant diet. They were lean & their hair, eyes and skin shone in the sun! Compared to potato dominant eating peoples, c'mon man, you're only fooling yourself with that pseudo-science cherry picking you call facts. Coconuts, in excess, don't spike insulin or cause weight gain as the fat is used first for fuel before stored as body fat, if one exercises moderately but regularly. Potatoes, in excess, for most people both spikes insulin and causes weight gain or prevents many people from losing weight, despite exercise being factored in. Ok, so you're a young, lean, fat-adapted athlete. Most of the world doesn't match your profile. When are you going to "get" that important detail?
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown


  7. #17
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    I've seen generations of people that ate a coconut predominant diet. They were lean & their hair, eyes and skin shone in the sun! Compared to potato dominant eating peoples, c'mon man, you're only fooling yourself with that pseudo-science cherry picking you call facts. Coconuts, in excess, don't spike insulin or cause weight gain as the fat is used first for fuel before stored as body fat, if one exercises moderately but regularly. Potatoes, in excess, for most people both spikes insulin and causes weight gain or prevents many people from losing weight, despite exercise being factored in. Ok, so you're a young, lean, fat-adapted athlete. Most of the world doesn't match your profile. When are you going to "get" that important detail?
    What? Let's think about this for a second.

    Cultures that eat a lot of coconut are from tropical regions. People from tropical regions have much darker skin, receive much more sun exposure and have a much greater Vitamin D concentration in their blood. They are also more likely to be physically active as the weather is always conducive to being outside in tropical regions. These cultures are also known to have very high intakes of fish, which tends to be great for the skin.

    Cultures that eat a lot of potatoes are from cold, Northern regions. People from these regions have much lighter skin, see comparatively little exposure to the sun and have lower levels of Vitamin D in their bodies. They are less likely to be physically active because the weather is not as conducive to outdoor activity as well. These cultures typically have a low intake of fish and are often landlocked.

    So, you mean to tell me the culture that gets a lot of sun exposure and are outdoors a lot more often may be potentially leaner and have more vibrant skin? Or are you just totally fabricating a hypothetical situation that "generations of people that ate a coconut predominant diet" are leaner and have better skin? I'm guessing you completely made that up to support a biased agenda and you have zero evidence to show that is some kind of scientific fact, and even if it were somehow true, there are clearly countless confounding factors you haven't considered.

    This is why I say read less and experiment more. Someone could potentially read your post and take it seriously.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-17-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  8. #18
    Barefoot Gentile's Avatar
    Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    103
    My question is how does any individual know how many calories they need?

  9. #19
    Betorq's Avatar
    Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    GA & CA
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    What? Let's think about this for a second.

    Cultures that eat a lot of coconut are from tropical regions. People from tropical regions have much darker skin, receive much more sun exposure and have a much greater Vitamin D concentration in their blood. They are also more likely to be physically active as the weather is always conducive to being outside in tropical regions. These cultures are also known to have very high intakes of fish, which tends to be great for the skin.

    Cultures that eat a lot of potatoes are from cold, Northern regions. People from these regions have much lighter skin, see comparatively little exposure to the sun and have lower levels of Vitamin D in their bodies. They are less likely to be physically active because the weather is not as conducive to outdoor activity as well. These cultures typically have a low intake of fish and are often landlocked.

    So, you mean to tell me the culture that gets a lot of sun exposure and are outdoors a lot more often may be potentially leaner and have more vibrant skin? Or are you just totally fabricating a hypothetical situation that "generations of people that ate a coconut predominant diet" are leaner and have better skin? I'm guessing you completely made that up to support a biased agenda and you have zero evidence to show that is some kind of scientific fact, and even if it were somehow true, there are clearly countless confounding factors you haven't considered.

    This is why I say read less and experiment more. Someone could potentially read your post and take it seriously.
    HAHA! Somebody could possibly take my post seriously, and that would be ok since its based on experience. Taco nearly anybody yes, even a well read school child(what do you have against reading?), even a school child knows potatoes are from South America, not "cold northern regions". Ya know, dark skinned South Americans that do eat ruminants & some fish too... And I have traveled 3rd world countries since the early 80s & LIVED with villagers in Central & South America,Caribbean, South East Asia & tropical South India. Didn't acquire this knowledge from reading, but from living with these peoples. Epic attempt dude but a fail non-the-less... I do read but I prefer real world experiences as well. How 'bout you?

    Edit: You're arrogance and false importance & correctness is bothersome as it's your standard M.O.. But when you continue to sound off, out the side of your face, supposing that anything or anyone who opposes your all-mighty intellect & knowledge must be making stuff up, gawd that boils my blood.

    My advice : Grow up, mature some more in a few years, hopefully gain some humility so you don't humiliate yourself again like you just did here publically, then meet me again for another joust when you're up to it. But imo, you got served & LOST this one dude. DEFINITIVELY.
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-17-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown


  10. #20
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    HAHA! Somebody could possibly take my post seriously, and that would be ok since its based on experience. Taco nearly anybody yes, even a well read school child(what do you have against reading?), even a school child knows potatoes are from South America, not "cold northern regions". Ya know, dark skinned South Americans that do eat ruminants & some fish too... And I have traveled 3rd world countries since the early 80s & LIVED with villagers in Central & South America,Caribbean, South East Asia & tropical South India. Didn't acquire this knowledge from reading, but from living with these peoples. Epic attempt dude but a fail non-the-less... I do read but I prefer real world experiences as well. How 'bout you?
    The potato is a starchy, tuberous crop from the perennial Solanum tuberosum of the Solanaceae family (also known as the nightshades). The word may refer to the plant itself as well as the edible tuber. In the region of the Andes, there are some other closely related cultivated potato species. Potatoes were introduced outside the Andes region four centuries ago
    Potato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And in case you were wondering:

    The Andes is the longest continental mountain range in the world. It is a continual range of highlands along the western coast of South America. This range is about 7,000 km (4,300 mi) long, about 200 km (120 mi) to 700 km (430 mi) wide (widest between 18 south and 20 south latitude), and of an average height of about 4,000 m (13,000 ft).
    Andes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Yes, the dark-skinned South Americans residing 13,000 feet above sea level in the Andes mountains. Truly, they live in the tropics.

    If you ask a school child where potatoes traditionally come from, they'll likely say Ireland since school children are taught all about the potato famine. Tubers are often regarded as a cold weather food, similar to squashes. Sweet potato season isn't here yet. A potato is not an African yam.

    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Edit: You're arrogance and false importance & correctness is bothersome as it's your standard M.O.. But when you continue to sound off, out the side of your face, supposing that anything or anyone who opposes your all-mighty intellect & knowledge must be making stuff up, gawd that boils my blood.
    Yes, me telling people to experiment for themselves and not to fear real food regardless of macros instead of believing in someone's sales tactics is truly infuriating isn't it? It is when you have an agenda I suppose. I really couldn't care less about your feelings, so hopefully this makes your blood boil even more and you'll eventually just stop responding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    My advice : Grow up, mature some more in a few years, hopefully gain some humility so you don't humiliate yourself again like you just did here publically, then meet me again for another joust when you're up to it. But imo, you got served & LOST this one dude. DEFINITIVELY.
    Wow, the youngster card, eh? Sounds like you're the one with some arrogance issues. Isn't it past your bedtime?
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-17-2012 at 08:10 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •