Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thickening sauces page

seaweed is offline Senior Member

Thickening sauces

Primal Fuel
    I have been making japanese curry which cooks the meat and veges in broth and then you make a roux to thicken it. i was using some small amount of tapioca starch but was wondering if there is a better way. Does coconut flour work to thicken things? or would a longer simmering time work? i'm trying to keep the curry as low carb as possible so i cant use things like oca or yams.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    could you just cook it longer and make a reduction? Maybe whisk in some butter at the end to make it creamy?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

i am going to try cooking it a bit longer. it's got quite a bit of butter in already as it has the butter in the roux and the butter you cook the onions and meat in. i was wondering about something like creamed coconut but it is incredibly expensive here and i think it would ruin the flavour or make it more like a thai curry. which i like too.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i am going to try cooking it a bit longer. it's got quite a bit of butter in already as it has the butter in the roux and the butter you cook the onions and meat in. i was wondering about something like creamed coconut but it is incredibly expensive here and i think it would ruin the flavour or make it more like a thai curry. which i like too.
    I use rice flour to thicken my roux for Japanese curry. About a Tbsp per Tbsp of butter.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Simmering to evaporate more water works for me, for most sauces. You could also try whisking in some gelatin, agar agar, or xanthan gum. I've only tried gelatin. I've also had success with tapioca and rice flours, but those are decidedly not low-carb.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure it goes with the type of sauce you are making, but I use mashed cauliflower for sauce thickening.
    I also would like to experiment with eggs, as seen in old French country cuisine cookbooks.

kitana is offline Senior Member
    You could try powdered, unflavored gelatin. I've never tried it for sauces, but it works pretty well for soups.

divadevilsmom is offline Junior Member
    I use Xanthan gum. It can be bought in powder form in most any health food store. Carb count is minimal.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    The comment about using eggs sent me on a search:

There are a number of thickeners I wouldn't use, but eggs and a brief description do appear on the list:

Low-Carb Thickeners - How to Thicken A Sauce Low in Carbohydrates

I'll have to try it too...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i have lots of suggestions to try here =) i also found an old post Mark did on the subject too. i am making curry this week so i will try the reduction first and if that doesnt work maybe try some xanthan gum as i have some for making the kids gf bread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast