Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: bright red urine? page 3

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    OMG! Rita, that looks like it would be really painful. That poor man!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zophie View Post
    OMG! Rita, that looks like it would be really painful. That poor man!
    The funny thing is, that was one of the stones that didn't cause any pain. He likened it to not knowing you're pregnant, then popping out a baby. Some of the smaller ones were a bear, though.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    Sorry for a gross topic, but I'm wondering if this is a common occurrence with primal eaters? I did a quick search but did not find anything exactly like what I'm experiencing.

My urine is bright red. So red that it looks like blood. I have been strictly paleo since May (no grains, no beans, no dairy, no sugar, etc). And to answer the obvious, I've not had anything even remotely red to eat recently.

I happened to have urinalysis sticks in the house, and according to those, the Specific Gravity, Protein, Bilirubin, Blood, Nitrites, and Leukocytes are all off the charts high. Ketones were detectable but in the medium-low range.

I'm sort of freaking out because I have never in my life had urine that color. I'm wondering if it could be a UTI, but I really don't want to spend my Sunday in urgent care. Thoughts?
    Seek medical attention immediately.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    oh wow, that picture gives me the heebie-geebies. They tell me the one I have is about 4mm. The other two that I had, I never saw.. they probably broke apart before making their exit. I am sort of hoping that I will find this one because I would love to know what the stone is made of. Then I can have some clue of how to prevent it in the future.

I am just so glad I'm not in extreme pain like with the other two. Ugh!

To you other kidney stone sufferers, how long does your urine continue to be red? Mine is still bright red. It looks like red food dye. Otherwise I'm feeling ok, just not energetic, no appetite, and a slightly sore back. I'm just debating how long I should give it before I head back in to the doctor. The problem is, I just got a brand new job, I'm in my second week, and I really should not take time off to do that. :-(

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Did the hospital give you any info when they discharged you? They're supposed to (at least in the U.S.), with info about how long before symptoms go away, so you know when/if to come back.

I wish I could help with the timing, but The Boyfriend doesn't really ever get bleeding with his stones.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Ermagerd, Kirdney Sternes!

*cross fingers, pray I never get one*

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

the hospital only gave me generic info about hematuria (blood in the urine) and kidney stones. But none of it is any more useful that what I can find on google. Sigh. I really hope this ends soon. :-(

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I had blood in my urine on and off for weeks - pretty much the whole time the stone was in there. I does look pretty shocking, but I think the actually amount of blood in there is fairly limited.

I think a 4 mm stone has a pretty decent chance of passing on it's own, so I don't think there is much they can do for you anyway. There is a drug used to treat prostate issues that can be taken - it has been shown to shorten the time it takes to pass a stone by a few days.

I had success using the olive oil and lemon juice cure from curezone. I have no idea if it was just coincidence, but I would try it again if I get another stone. It is not for the faint of heart, but I was pretty desperate.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast