Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: bright red urine? page 2

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks all, I went to urgent care and they promptly sent me to the hospital. The hospital did blood work and a CT Scan which shows a 4mm kidney stone. The interesting thing is that I've had kidney stones before which were insanely painful and had none of the symptoms I am currently having. I am still waiting to hear back on the blood work to see if there is also some kind of kidney infection.

Also interesting, the doc asked me how my appetite has been because of all the ketones. I said (honestly) that it's been nonexistent, and they wrote that off as the reason for the ketones. So at least I didn't have to try to explain to a CW doc why I've been eating low carb.

Anyway, thanks for all the input, and for the encouragement to head to the doc. I am glad I did!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Glad you've gotten treatment! Hope it all works out without too much intervention.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Palebluedots - well done on your getting to the doctor, and diagnosing this. I heard somewhere - not sure where, that too much protein can have a negetive effect on kidneys ??? Don't know how much is too much. Has anyone else heard this one ?
    Last edited by NZ primal Gwamma; 09-16-2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: left out a word !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Yay! I was hoping that was why you were taking a while to get back. And glad to hear that you know what it is and are getting treatment. There are adjustments that can be made to diet if you're prone to kidney stones.

merryish is offline Senior Member
    Glad to hear you went to the doctor ASAP, and that this turned out to be something easily treatable, paleobluedots!

Warmbear is online now Senior Member
    I have had kidney stones for years, they pass occasionally, they cause some pain occasionally and they make my pee pink grapefruit juice color about once a month. The Doc said it is food related and not to worry, gave me Advil for the pain and told me nothing else to be done. I have had this for 15 years give or take.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Unless you've just eaten beets, this sounds bad.
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    I have had kidney stones for years, they pass occasionally, they cause some pain occasionally and they make my pee pink grapefruit juice color about once a month. The Doc said it is food related and not to worry, gave me Advil for the pain and told me nothing else to be done. I have had this for 15 years give or take.
    Wow - that is the most mellow description of kidney stones I've ever heard I had one last year that got stuck and I was in agony for weeks. It was really tough!!

Did they ever check you for hyperparathyroidism? With that many stones I hope so!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    It looks like all my blood work came back ok, so I guess my bright red pee is solely from this pesky stone. It's really freaky to see that. But I feel better knowing what is causing it.

And wow Warmbear, that is a mellow description of kidney stones! I've had two others and both times I ended up in the ER being given morphine. I'm not sure why it is not as bad this time.

Of course the first thought I had is that my recent drastic diet change had something to do with it (going from 12 years as a vegan to a meat eater), but now I'm thinking it is just coincidence.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    That's kind of my boyfriend's attitude as well. He usually gets 2 or 3 a year. Sometimes he's in pain and sometimes they just pop out. All different shapes and sizes.

Here's the last one he passed a few months ago:

My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast