Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Out With Seaweed page

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member

Help Me Out With Seaweed

Ok, I figured adding a little seaweed in every week wouldn't hurt for minerals, etc. Found some that is just straight-up dried seaweed sheets. And it's gross. I want to point out here that I'm hands-down the least picky eater I've ever met--I'll eat anything. And I can eat a sheet of this, but it's gross. So today I crumbled a sheet into a big egg scramble with bacon, veggies, salsa, all kinds of stuff. And it made the whole thing taste gross. How do I fix this stuff so it isn't gnarly?

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    perhaps powder it, cap it up as a supplement?
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    I think you're supposed to soak it first...

But what type of seaweed is it? Nori?

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    It may get better with time, or it may be the brand. Someone gave me some Nori about 7 years ago and I could not eat it, found it was horrible. In recent years I found the sea snacks seaweed made with olive oil and sea salt, Yum. Now I can eat the plain Nori straight out of the package. I prefer the olive oil one but find I can eat the plain without a problem. I think it's often a matter of what you are used to. My 7 year old prefers the sea snacks and will eat the entire package, she is not a fan of the plain.

You could try heating it in the oven for 30 seconds and adding a little sea salt. that changes the texture a little and I prefer it that way. Have not tried soaking it. Although, it did get a little soggy in my salad. Soaking it makes it possible to wrap things in it. Perhaps you could use it as a wrap around some turkey or fish?

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Shred, add salt and sprinkle on rice? Mmmm furikake.

I'll try soaking it next time, I guess. Maybe I'll just make a small ball out of it and power it down in one bite if it doesn't taste better. I don't get it; I love sushi when it's wrapped in seaweed. I just can't really get behind this one.

Faumdano is offline Member
    "seaweed" is too vague: what is it exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Faumdano View Post
    "seaweed" is too vague: what is it exactly?
    Package says Nico Nico Nori Roasted Seaweed. They're big-ass sheets; like the size of a 1gal ziplock bag.

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    Where did you get the seaweed? I'm assuming that the sheets of seaweed you are talking about are nori sheets. Nori is usually used for sushi, and I'm not sure if it is commonly ate by itself. You should look for seaweed sheets that are seasoned. If you go to a health store or even just an Asian grocery, I'm sure you will find seasoned seaweed sheets.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I eat roasted seaweed on its own. Seasnax makes really good ones and it's roasted in olive oil not canola. Make sure you check for that. I normally just eat nori sheets on its own, kinda like eating chips.

Also there seaweed style noodles (kelp). I usually put this in soup. I put some bokchoy in a broth add a bit of salt and some chicken or whatever meat i have then throw in some lemon slices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast