Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Protein and exercise page

  1. #1
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,931

    Protein and exercise

    Primal Fuel
    My total BW is 155lbs. I'm building muscle so try to eat 155g protein or a little more. I was wondering though, if after my weight lifting I get very active with whatever, and I DO increase my overall calorie intake with fat/carbs so I'm still at a surplus, but not my protein intake (it stays at 155g), would this interfere with muscle building?
    Basically, do I "burn protein" when I'm still at acalorie surplus by fat and carbs?
    Billie trips balls

  2. #2
    NowhereMan's Avatar
    NowhereMan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    125
    Well, if you're trying to grow as much as possible you should:
    1. Eat way more protein
    2. Stop doing that extra activity and nap instead

    But sure, you can build muscle with higher activity levels.

  3. #3
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by NowhereMan View Post
    Well, if you're trying to grow as much as possible you should:
    1. Eat way more protein
    2. Stop doing that extra activity and nap instead

    But sure, you can build muscle with higher activity levels.
    K thanks, I'll start eating a lot of fish then. I really can't seem to get in much protein, even with meat.
    Billie trips balls

  4. #4
    BennettC's Avatar
    BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beaufot, SC
    Posts
    528
    you should prolly look into a lower carb diet. burning glycogen interferes with burning fat. for me since im really trying to bulk, im eating roughly 250grams of protein a day at a bodyweight of 157lbs. my calories usually come out to around 2400-2600. i like the canned wild Alaskan salmon. 640 calories and 84 grams of protein per can. also eggs eggs eggs!!
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

  5. #5
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    you should prolly look into a lower carb diet. burning glycogen interferes with burning fat. for me since im really trying to bulk, im eating roughly 250grams of protein a day at a bodyweight of 157lbs. my calories usually come out to around 2400-2600. i like the canned wild Alaskan salmon. 640 calories and 84 grams of protein per can. also eggs eggs eggs!!
    hmm. I don't need to burn fat though, but there used to be times I'd eat 250 g of protein, but my stool would be all messed up. But I'll shoot for 200g and see how it goes..
    Billie trips balls

  6. #6
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    you should prolly look into a lower carb diet. burning glycogen interferes with burning fat. for me since im really trying to bulk, im eating roughly 250grams of protein a day at a bodyweight of 157lbs. my calories usually come out to around 2400-2600. i like the canned wild Alaskan salmon. 640 calories and 84 grams of protein per can. also eggs eggs eggs!!
    Can you give me a day of food?
    Billie trips balls

  7. #7
    BennettC's Avatar
    BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beaufot, SC
    Posts
    528
    I mean burning fat for energy, not necessarily body fat. day for me usually looks like this
    Breakfast: 5 cups raw milk, 3 raw eggs, 1-2tbs of coconut oil
    Lunch: Can of salmon
    Dinner: 3 eggs scrambled w/ tbs butter and roughly 8-10 oz beef
    Macros are 50% fat/ 40% protein/ 10% carbohydrate
    2500-2600 calories/ 60 grams of carbohydrate/ 250grams of protein

    I change it up sometimes but this is usually a typical day for me. Like this week ive got a bunch of big chicken leg quarters cooked off for dinners
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

  8. #8
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    I mean burning fat for energy, not necessarily body fat. day for me usually looks like this
    Breakfast: 5 cups raw milk, 3 raw eggs, 1-2tbs of coconut oil
    Lunch: Can of salmon
    Dinner: 3 eggs scrambled w/ tbs butter and roughly 8-10 oz beef
    Macros are 50% fat/ 40% protein/ 10% carbohydrate
    2500-2600 calories/ 60 grams of carbohydrate/ 250grams of protein

    I change it up sometimes but this is usually a typical day for me. Like this week ive got a bunch of big chicken leg quarters cooked off for dinners
    Alright thanks so you mean to say that carbohydrates interferes with fat burning which makes the body burn protein more easily)
    Billie trips balls

  9. #9
    BennettC's Avatar
    BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beaufot, SC
    Posts
    528
    Not exactly, protein is for rebuilding. The body is either forced to burn fat or carbohydrate (glucose). If you restrict the carbohydrates, your body has no choice but burn fat as the primary fuel. Some glucose is used but never more than 10-15% which isn't very much at all. Do you know how many grams you eat a day now?
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

  10. #10
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    Not exactly, protein is for rebuilding. The body is either forced to burn fat or carbohydrate (glucose). If you restrict the carbohydrates, your body has no choice but burn fat as the primary fuel. Some glucose is used but never more than 10-15% which isn't very much at all. Do you know how many grams you eat a day now?
    I'm pretty sure it's calories in calories out. Your body can convert protein to carbohydrates if it needs to. Why would I want to burn fat as primary fuel? I eat like 200g carbs a dag. 300g fat. About 4500 calories a day. I'm very active etc.
    Billie trips balls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •