Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for something else, I think page

parrottrl is offline Member

Time for something else, I think

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I started PB on May 21st of this year, weighing 186.6 lbs (5' 2") and feeling like primal offered the most reasonable answer to fixing that. I managed through following the diet to drop to 168.4 lbs by the first week of September, but my weight is creeping back up, even though I'm still doing everything right. I'm at 173.0 lbs this morning, having lost nearly a month of progress in three days. No explanation. I keep my calories in check (1300-1650). I have a physically demanding job that leaves me shaking with exhaustion on my way home a couple times each week, and yet I still manage to do as much of the pathetic pantywaist playtime bullshit as possible, although that will now stop in favor of real exercise.

I do not care about the purported health benefits of PB. Don't sell me on that. I'm willing to die ten years sooner, if only I can live thin in the meantime. I seriously do not care about any of that. I just want weight loss. Nothing else. As a Type I diabetic, diagnosed at age five, I feel like this diet may be utterly unsuitable for the condition in terms of losing anything more than water weight.

I really believed in this diet. No, it's not a lifestyle. It's just a very strict, incredibly bourgeois version of South Beach, which I once lost 30 lbs on, but could keep off because I couldn't eat bland food forever. I'm good at carb restriction when I'm motivated and feel like I'm making progress toward my one true goal: serious weight loss.

So here we go. I'm giving up PB at the beginning of October. I need to find another diet to switch to since I can't go back to eating gluten (the lack of brain fog helps me at work), but I want something that will give me the body I need to have a happy, good, worthwhile life. Any suggestions for something to try?

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Out of interest, where did you arrive at the 1300-1650 cals per day? This lifestyle works great for a lot of people, so demeaning it as 'bullshit' is not that helpful or necessary.

Be interested to know how many hours of exercise you did a week, what sort of exertion levels your work requires etc. 1300 cals per day seems exceptionally low for almost anyone.

Not judging your efforts, just be nice to see if there is anything obvious that has prevented you from reaching your goals. Stress is one such issue that sounds like it might play a part, particularly in your work life.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you move onto next.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    I agree with PFF, maybe your calorie count is too low, or your stress is to high, or maybe a mix of the two.

No eating plan works for everyone, being mad a PB isn't going to help. Maybe you are reacting to something (dairy, fruit-some can't eat fruit raw, eggs, or something else).

I hope you find something that works for you.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Alright parrottrl,

let me remind you of something you posted on your first forum post:
    "Seriously, the emotional aspect of PB has really shocked me. I had never realized how much I just didn't care (about anything) before."

You are not at that calm emotional place anymore. From what I've read in your journal you have a high stress job, a high stress boyfriend, and your mind is following your body to the breaking point. You've been using your journal to beat yourself up instead of congratulate yourself on the progress you made. 15 pounds in 4 months with a broken body and a high-stress life? Seriously. I'd love to have that kind of progress.

If you want higher intensity workouts, join a Crossfit or start running if you want or do serious weights. What does your body respond best to? Take bodyfat measurements instead of poundage. n=1

As a diabetic you'll be avoiding sugar, you're already avoiding gluten. Geez, anything you do on top of that is pretty much going to be primal. Primal is anything but "strict." Go visit the paleo forums if you want to see what strict is all about. Maybe you'll thrive on super-strict. Who knows. Try it out.

But most of all, find a way to chill. You are wound up tighter than a ball of rubber bands.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by parrottrl View Post
    I do not care about the purported health benefits of PB. Don't sell me on that. I'm willing to die ten years sooner, if only I can live thin in the meantime.
    Then I think no-one here can say anything to you -- because I don't think, I hope, that isn't the way we think here. And I'm pretty sure it's not how Mark thinks: I hope not.

If I'm to be frank I think a goal-driven mindset is a disease of modern civilization. It tends to be futile anyway, because anyone who heads for a goal without properly thinking out the means isn't going where they think they're going anyway.

I think if you're eating as little as you say you are, energetic issues aside, you're likely not getting as much protein and as many micronutrients as you need to sustain calm and clear thinking anyway. But even if I'm right, I doubt I could convince you of that.

If you want an alternative I'd suggest try here:

The Diet Cure: The 8-Step Program to Rebalance Your Body Chemistry and End Food Cravings,Weight Gain,and Mood Swings--Naturally: Julia Ross: 9780143120858: Amazon.com: Books

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    So then what is your main beef with the primal blueprint? The easy exercise and play? So don't do that part. Go chop wood or run or whatever it takes to get the stress out. Is it that you can't eat grains? Well, if you think grains is the secret to weight loss, then go ahead and eat them. Is it that there's too much fat? Well then eat less fat if you think a low cal diet that is low in fat is the secret to weight loss. Is it that you can't eat ice cream? Well then eat ice cream. Good luck to you whatever you do.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    I heard speed is great for weight loss AND you can die sooner!
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    I heard speed is great for weight loss AND you can die sooner!
    Yep... find a doctor to give you a prescription for Phentermine.
    You'll get thin.
    But you won't learn how to stay thin.
    Good luck.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

parrottrl is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PureFunctionalFitness View Post
    Out of interest, where did you arrive at the 1300-1650 cals per day?
    Thanks for the question. My BMR is 1550 cals. It's impossible to eat exactly that (and hope all extra energy expended goes toward weight loss), so I use the range of 1300 - 1650 cals to stay under my BMR most of the time. I'm usually not ragingly hungry, but around mealtimes I'm ready to eat.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm at 173.0 lbs this morning, having lost nearly a month of progress in three days. No explanation.
    Are you female? Are you eating something that has gluten and you just don't know it? Either of those would cause it.

I keep my calories in check (1300-1650). I have a physically demanding job that leaves me shaking with exhaustion on my way home a couple times each week, and yet I still manage to do as much of the pathetic pantywaist playtime bullshit as possible, although that will now stop in favor of real exercise.
    Maybe that's the problem. You're trying to work a "physically exhausting job" and then "play" (whatever you call it, you're still expending calories) and then not giving yourself enough fuel to actually function. Something closer to 2,000 calories would probably allow you to do your job and still have enough fuel left to keep your body functioning the way it's supposed to.

Stress is a HUGE reason why you could be having trouble. After I had some unrelated medical issues, my body just shut down the weight loss. It's stress. Physical stress, but still stress. When you're stressed, either physically or emotionally, your body doesn't give a crap about how you look naked. It's in protective mode.

I just finished reading this book a couple of weeks ago, and honestly thought it had some pretty good information.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast