Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page

relaygirl is offline Senior Member

I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT!

Shop Now
    Yay! It has taken me months to get back. I ate primal for 2 years but only this May shifted to 60 % fat. My carb intake was always some what low but I was never truly fat adapted until I backed off on the protein.

I have had several bad races this summer. Bonking and feeling like I have had the crap kicked out of me.

I started making my own race nutrition gel with chia seeds, CO, and fresh squeezed OJ.

I ran a trail half yesterday and won my AG! It was a tough trail too and I felt fantastic and had an energy surge at mile 7-before I even took my chia squeeze. I also took 1 salt tablets at 7.5 and used a nuun in my water. I should probably take the salt tab a little earlier. I finished knowing I could run 6 or 7 more on the trail fine.

I know it is bad to crossfit and run too but I just could not give up the running. I have gotten heavier with muscle crossfitting and it affected my running a lot-still just eating primal with an emphasis on protein. Once I shifted to fat I have leaned out a little with more muscle definition-I look good but still could not run with strength and speed. I feel now I am really getting back.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Great!!

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    way to go!

clint2 is offline Junior Member
    Congrats!!! I am a low carb runner. Currently training for a marathon. I believe it is very individual. I personally function/perform much better on LC. I also understand that different people thrive on a different ratio of macros. Which race was it?

@clint2 I ran a local trail half, small race. I was fairly low carb, under 100, before-I just ate more protein than fat. Now I am eating so much more fat and way less protein.

_Fi
    _Fi is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by relaygirl View Post
    @clint2 I ran a local trail half, small race. I was fairly low carb, under 100, before-I just ate more protein than fat. Now I am eating so much more fat and way less protein.
    Congratulations on your race - that's awesome

I was just wondering what your macros were and what they are now? Specifically how much protein you ate/eat.

I am moving towards becoming fat adapted and have cut down protein to 100g a day (from 150+) - just wondering what change you made.

Hi @_Fi I'm sorry I did not respond right away-it has been crazy here. I try to keep it to 50g of protein a day--it usually ends up being 75g. It is really hard to limit protein when you have been eating paleo for so long! I eat fat at will--6 tbl of MCT a day, 6 tbl grass fed butter,4 tbl of CO. The butter and mct is in bulletproof coffee. I eat a lot of eggs-easier to eat more with limiting the protein.

I also ran this weekend-a road half. I had to stay with my friend who was injured so it was very LONG-an hour more than I usually run a half in. But I felt great-no supplements during race I had bp coffee before, 1 pack of Justins almond butter, and 1/2 a kind bar at the start. I don't know if I would have run a 1:40-1:45-there is no way to tell for sure. I do know I had a massive energy surge at mile 6 and I did last weekend too in the trail half.

I'm running 3 relays this fall--that will be a good judge of fat adaptation--running tired, putting up a 10 miler on a 3rd leg in the mountains...a real test for a girl like me.

I just wanted to say too--how much I actually enjoyed running last weekend and this weekend. I felt no pressure to perform at a certain level but I still felt fantastic. Which is exactly how I want to run.

this week I went to cross fit 2x, and ran 1 day very slowly because I had too busy of a schedule with my kids. But I think it was to my benefit.

quiet_one is offline Junior Member
    Congratulations on a good race.
    I noticed you eat chia seeds during a race. If you are in ketosis, can chia seeds get you out of it? CO is coconut oil?

I am fat adapted--I burn both fuels efficiently ...well, at least I do now! It really took me a while to get there. 1 tbl of chia would not take someone out of ketosis.

I really don't even count carbs now at all. I just work at making sure 60% of my calories are from good fats.

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast