Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 7

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by relaygirl View Post
    Go Kaleo is one.
    I stopped following Go Kaleo too when she said grains were ok and to eliminate any food group is a bad idea... I decided I was done ignoring some of the things she was saying that I disagreed with and just removed her. I always wanted to counter what she was saying.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Wow-this is a good site and he has links to other sites-it is lower carb than I eat but very interesting.

RunKeto.com: Eric’s Kick Start to Ketosis Links

dogfuel is offline Member
    everyone is different and has different objectives... I've decided to embrace the carbohydrate for long runs, despite my otherwise strict primal diet

I ran for a year on a diet of roughly 40% protein, 40% fat and 20% carbs... never touched sports drinks and only one gu at a moment if weakness. I ran a couple of halfs and felt fine, running the last in 1:50 w just water when fasting (not speedy, but that's me - not my diet). I assume I was burning fat.

In January I started to get serious about about a 50k coming up at the end of this month and skeptically decided to investigate statements like "you can't burn fat/ketones quickly enough for that distance". For the last month, I've been eating more sweet potatoes and some rice (but still watching carbs, maybe 35/35/30% P/F/C). On long runs *only* (actually, my only runs, once a week), I've started knocking back 1,000 kcal and 250g of carbs by putting a huge load of maltodextrine in my water bottle. If I was running more frequently I certianly would not do this on shorted runs. No weight gain (and I'll gain weight looking at a bagel on non-run days). When in or near ketosis , I felt good running, now I have more energy and feel great running!

@relaygirl - scanning your ever-growing post, it seems you've become a pretty awesome runner and found a diet that works well for you. I'm not encouraging you to change, but - if you feel like experimenting - don't be scared of a burning some carbs, maybe a lot of them. I was so terrified of blowing up to my old 270lb self, that I forgot that carbs can be valuable source of fuel.

@dogfuel I am definitely eating more sweet potatoes and I am not agonizing over fruit like I used too. What has been your longest run so far? The most I run at one time is really 20 miles right now. I am really liking my little fat bombs too of honey and kerrygold butter.

I feel like I used to be a good runner but the rest of my days were in agony with cravings and trying to hold back on eating tons of food--when I was on a SAD which consisted of tons of protein powder. Now I am just mediocre but consistent and the quality of the rest of my hours not running is far higher. I would like to bridge that gap.

I have so much more muscle now than when I hit my PR's. It is difficult for me to wield this weight on the trail

@dogfuel-it says you are in Alabama-are you running the Black Warrior?

Quote Originally Posted by relaygirl View Post
    @dogfuel .... What has been your longest run so far? The most I run at one time is really 20 miles right now.

@dogfuel-it says you are in Alabama-are you running the Black Warrior?
    Longest runs to date have been just under 18 miles on a really tough and technical trail, felt fine, joints fine, feet fine, and had tons of energy at the end every time. I have not been training w long runs (only 6 in 6 weeks), but am not overly concerned about the distance (perhaps I should be?) . Due to time constraints and fear of injury, most training has been in the gym with tons of squats, lunged and kettlebell movements mixed with 200m-1k sprints/runs, keeping my heart rate up for extended periods. I'm too old, my time is too constrained and my attention span is too short to try and log a ton of miles.

Looked at the black warrior early on, but decided to do the cheaha 50... we'll see!

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfuel View Post
    everyone is different and has different objectives... I've decided to embrace the carbohydrate for long runs, despite my otherwise strict primal diet

I ran for a year on a diet of roughly 40% protein, 40% fat and 20% carbs... never touched sports drinks and only one gu at a moment if weakness. I ran a couple of halfs and felt fine, running the last in 1:50 w just water when fasting (not speedy, but that's me - not my diet). I assume I was burning fat.

In January I started to get serious about about a 50k coming up at the end of this month and skeptically decided to investigate statements like "you can't burn fat/ketones quickly enough for that distance". For the last month, I've been eating more sweet potatoes and some rice (but still watching carbs, maybe 35/35/30% P/F/C). On long runs *only* (actually, my only runs, once a week), I've started knocking back 1,000 kcal and 250g of carbs by putting a huge load of maltodextrine in my water bottle. If I was running more frequently I certianly would not do this on shorted runs. No weight gain (and I'll gain weight looking at a bagel on non-run days). When in or near ketosis , I felt good running, now I have more energy and feel great running!

@relaygirl - scanning your ever-growing post, it seems you've become a pretty awesome runner and found a diet that works well for you. I'm not encouraging you to change, but - if you feel like experimenting - don't be scared of a burning some carbs, maybe a lot of them. I was so terrified of blowing up to my old 270lb self, that I forgot that carbs can be valuable source of fuel.
    I'm training for a distance run too. Just curious about your training programme - have you ditched the sprints?

@Danielfire - didn't ditch the sprints and never even thought about it. They have really helped with breathing and motion/efficiency, they're quick and easy to add in to a workout and they help me understand pace (pacing my biggest challenge).

I say all that, but 50k is not until next weekend and I've never run more than 18 miles on a trail... I'll let you know next Monday !

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    hi all!
    nice to see this thread is still active. just got back from vacay in Kauai....mmmmmm.
    of course fell off the primal wagon a tad but didn't fret about it. of course i got sick and now kinda feel like arse. went for a 6k yesterday and it was painful even though i did tons of hiking, a few runs/crossfit type stuff.

i certainly did notice though that eating more carbs makes me craze more. i also had a few burgers and probably too many tortilla chips! I barely ate for a few days traveling home though so i think that kicked me back into mode. finding it's ok to go back primal with few cravings.

my half is in may so need to get on the regime! i've put together a training schedule based on crossfit endurance...in case anyone is interested! i'm more than happy to share. this is the first time i won't be following a more traditional training schedule so i'm really interested to see the difference.

on a last note...i saw a "good friend" of mine while passing through Vancouver on my way back up here. we hadn't been together in a while and he was kinda amazed at the fine state of my glutes.
    i'll take that!!! heehee

@meloroaster I am baring all in Florida for a little flat half in a couple of weeks and my legs are FINE, but the rest of me can use some work

I have been doing tons of squats, pushing sleds, flipping tires, doing a lot of 1 legged work, dead lifting, push pressing and other stuff. I have a trail half Saturday and it looks like the weather will be good. It is on a mtn bike course-I kind of like hiking trails better but it should be fun. Each payday I am filling up my race schedule with more and more. I am contemplating the ragnar in Washington State. Maybe I could find an ultra team that wasn't bent on being too competitive.

I found a bag of individually wrapped nuts with little pieces of dark chocolate at Trader Joes. My kids love them and I am packing a couple of those to put in my pocket.

I am interested in crossfit endurance--I would need to be able to do it on my own and with my trainer though. I just can't afford crossfit anymore. I loved the owners of my former box but I felt like they were laughing at me everytime I paid my huge monthly bill in July in Georgia and the air conditioner is not turned on.

Have a great race @dogfuel--just enjoy the views and eat and drink good stuff as you go.

Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast