Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 55

Drock is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    SSN - great job!

Finished my first marathon yesterday. I followed Mark's marathon nutrition post from several years ago. (Carbs around 150g/day during training, then carbed up for 3-4 days. My goal was 4:30. I paced very conservatively over the first 10k, and had a great second half. Finished in 4:29:08.

I'm already looking around for a fall marathon. Sick, huh?
    I came to Primal/Paleo first to lose weight, but kept up because of the way I feel - amazing.

34/male 5'-5"
    Starting: 249#, 44" waist
    Current: 168#, 30" waist
    Goal: 140ish# or 28ish" waist

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Way to go SSNDoc and Drock!!

I finished my 10th HM on Saturday. Race report is in my journal if anyone is interested.

John T. is offline Junior Member
    Congratulations! I'm just gearing up for my first half marathon this october!

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hispanicgamer View Post
    Nice job SSN! How did your prep for the race do for you?
    Not bad. We don't have the kinds of hills they have there, and I only did one treadmill run on a "steep" incline, so running "hills" is kind of difficult to simulate. I had wanted to do squats and deadlifts to increase drive strength, but the rack and weights arrived the week before the race. I'm not silly enough to start smoking my legs with squats the week before a long run.

Nutritionally, I ate yogurt and oatmeal (yeah, I know, not "primal") about 2 or 3 hours before my long runs. Was hungry as a hostage at the end of the runs, but no bonk, so that was good.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drock View Post
    SSN - great job!

Finished my first marathon yesterday. I followed Mark's marathon nutrition post from several years ago. (Carbs around 150g/day during training, then carbed up for 3-4 days. My goal was 4:30. I paced very conservatively over the first 10k, and had a great second half. Finished in 4:29:08.

I'm already looking around for a fall marathon. Sick, huh?
    lol... smarter than me... my 1/2 was 8 weeks after my first marathon....

emsiewoo is offline Member
    Hi all

Can anyone help me out with some fuelling advice.

Ive been training for a half marathon in ketosis (approx 30g carbs per day) and overall, my training has been up and down and I have struggled with pace. Sometimes I have had great runs, mostly they have been average, and other times I have had dead legs. Whilst I am in ketosis I don't feel fully adapted to running this way.

My race is next week and I am very worried about it, and noticed this week, that as it has got hotter here in the UK, my electrolytes must be out of whack. I have added in more salt potassium magnesium etc. but I am moing towards thinking I need to get my carbs up over this coming week.

But...

I am scared of:
    Glycogen gain and heaviness
    Reactive hypoglycaemia and just feeling shit from an increase in carbs
    Not having enough time to experiment with this

Please please can someone advise! I feel in a right mess here and just don't know what to do.

Thanks, E

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emsiewoo View Post
    Hi all

Can anyone help me out with some fuelling advice.

Ive been training for a half marathon in ketosis (approx 30g carbs per day) and overall, my training has been up and down and I have struggled with pace. Sometimes I have had great runs, mostly they have been average, and other times I have had dead legs. Whilst I am in ketosis I don't feel fully adapted to running this way.

My race is next week and I am very worried about it, and noticed this week, that as it has got hotter here in the UK, my electrolytes must be out of whack. I have added in more salt potassium magnesium etc. but I am moing towards thinking I need to get my carbs up over this coming week.

But...

I am scared of:
    Glycogen gain and heaviness
    Reactive hypoglycaemia and just feeling shit from an increase in carbs
    Not having enough time to experiment with this

Please please can someone advise! I feel in a right mess here and just don't know what to do.

Thanks, E
    I would suggest that you maintain your diet and electrolyte supplementation. Also try and remember the circumstances around the good runs that you had. Did you eat a little more the day before? Sleep? Hydration? Have you ever deviated from your keto-diet with any carbs? It may just be a period of re-adjustment if you have.
    As far as actually running, keep it aerobic. Ease in to your pace instead of forcing it early on and you may find running faster feels like less effort.
    Would you mind sharing a bit of detail? Schedule, caloric intake, etc?

Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455