Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY had a decent half marathon running on FAT! page 52

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Inflammation side lined me a bit. Heading out tomorrow for a 9912-14 miler. Should be fine. 20 miler next weekend. Then taper.
    9912 miles? Impressive..

Drock is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with the 20!

The calf sleeves seem to be working. Did 18 yesterday while wearing them. Felt great
    I came to Primal/Paleo first to lose weight, but kept up because of the way I feel - amazing.

34/male 5'-5"
    Starting: 249#, 44" waist
    Current: 166#, 30" waist
    Goal: 140ish# or 28ish" waist

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    hahaha stupid phone. It autocorrects numbers all the time and I don't know why or how to stop it... that should have read 12-14, but I'm betting you figured that out.

12 miler is what I did and it went pretty well until my feet got wet and cold. I'll be glad when winter is done and all signs of her are gone.

20 miler for this weekend... have no idea where I'm going to go to do it...
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Ok, got my route mapped out. 20 mile loop. All paved. HOWEVER, it's also all unprotected highway. SO, in Iowa, what that means is that it'll be 34 degrees and WINDY AS HELL with zero trees/fields to block the wind. And no where to hide if I have to go potty... I almost wish I was doing this on a treadmill... Man, the treadmill has spoiled me!

Here's my route: 20 mile loop in Durant, IA | MapMyFitness

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Well, it's done. Ran my marathon yesterday... and I finished. Glad that is over.... hardest thing I have ever done. Conditions blew... literally... 15mph wind all farging day, temps in the 40's, and I went dressed for a relatively calm day in the 50s.... froze my ass off!

Drock is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Well, it's done. Ran my marathon yesterday... and I finished. Glad that is over.... hardest thing I have ever done. Conditions blew... literally... 15mph wind all farging day, temps in the 40's, and I went dressed for a relatively calm day in the 50s.... froze my ass off!
    Great job finishing! Congrats.

ssn - were you running the Shamrock marathon in VA?

Jenn-how was the 20?
    Last edited by Drock; 03-18-2014 at 06:12 AM.
    I came to Primal/Paleo first to lose weight, but kept up because of the way I feel - amazing.

34/male 5'-5"
    Starting: 249#, 44" waist
    Current: 166#, 30" waist
    Goal: 140ish# or 28ish" waist

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Gosh y'all I am so sorry I am out of touch!!! So much going on here. My mother in law is very sick and I started working part time. I have no time i'm still running a few dogs and I am coaching the girls running team at the elementary school.

Well, I'm still running of course! I'm running in Hoka's exclusively. I had several halfs in a row and my turf toe was out of control--the nail going into my ball joint feeling. I went from not being able to walk dogs one day to running 10 miles the next.

I am eating well but I am eating a lot of cherries-a bag a day-frozen organic. I can't help it and I don't want to live with out them anymore.

Hope everyone is well and looking for warmth like me--where is the SPRING!!!

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    And a pain note-I have had chronic calf and hip pain--I continue to take collagen and drink bone broth but I added tart cherries-I buy the canned in water tart cherries from Oregon and use them in my protein shakes--pain almost all gone and hardly any ibuprofen! Its been about 2 months-1/2 can a day.

Marathon runners should pick cherries for speedy recovery -- ScienceDaily

Congrats SSN on the marathon finish. I am petrified of my marathon! A BQ runner I know did the same race last year that I'm doing this year and she told me to bring my mental A-game. She said it was cold and windy!

My 20 went pretty well. It sucked at the time, but looking back it wasn't so bad. It was breezy and a bit chilly, but it was ok. I was in and out of my gloves the whole time b/c the wind along the river was biting into my hands. I completed it in 4:29. I figure that puts me at about 5:15 or so for the marathon. Respectable as far as I'm concerned.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey stranger (relaygirl),

Sorry to hear about your toe but it doesn't really seem to hold you back! I'll take your advice about the cherries but wouldn't stretching out your hip flexors help reduce your pain and inflammation? I'm guessing it has something to do with eating cherries.

SSN and Jenn,

Nice job and did you do it in ketosis? The reason why I ask is that I had to go back to adding some carbs into my pre-run meal. I know several of you have poo-pooed my use of an HR but I was becoming more and more exhausted while running. At first, I thought I was anemic (had a physical and RBC was low also do a search and you'll find my posts) but would see better running when I had eaten half a yam the night before. This theory progressed to the point where I do BP coffee in the morning with a small banana, eat a piece of fruit before my run, and finish the day with at least a half of a yam. My HR is now back to where it used to be before going whole hog on ketosis. I think what happened to me was that I didn't allow enough time to adapt to ketosis. My next experiment will be to do a slow weaning off of the banana with my coffee (get full fat burning in the morning), and then decrease the amount of fruit prior to my run. One good thing is that my weight has not gone up, which I thought would happen.

Looks like everyone is doing great and I can't wait for June 1, when I will run the San Diego Rock and Roll Half.

Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast